PDA

View Full Version : [i-SOBOT] Thinking of buying a i-SOBOT

striker0
03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I've purchased a fair number of robot kits in my day, and still have my own project going on, though I don't have as much time as I would like to pay attention to it. So lately, I've been looking at other robots, and one that kept coming up was the i-SOBOT. I know, it's more or less a glorified robot toy, but I still like it. I've heard of all the interesting things it can do, and watched a fair number of youtube videos about it. But my question is this. Is it too good to be true, or does it work as it's suppose to? And further more, I know it has a bunch of preprogrammed moves, but can it also be hacked to other software adds?

tom_chang79
03-20-2009, 01:45 AM
hi striker, I've owned an i-sobot since its inception. I must say, the enjoyment factor is definitely up there when you initially get it.

The coolness wore off after awhile since I've watched all the canned (pre-programmed) moves 1000s of times (ok, maybe 100s of times). Still though, it's the most handsome robot in my collection, the most capable, and downright just neat to have a biped that small. I've always wanted a micro-servo based humanoid to play with (like the stuff from Innovati - look on youtube for Fred Lee's video) and the I-Sobot definitely has the micro servo stuff beat in size.

But eventually, the non-openess will make you tired of it. Once in a while, I still fire it up to entertain myself or guests that have never seen the thing. I know that there are some hacking going on out there, but since the architecture really isn't understood (documentations are proprietary I imagine) and the architecture really isn't as "open" as many of these other humanoid kits that are out there.

But I see on Trossen that they are sub $100 for an i-sobot now. What's there to lose? In my opinion, all humanoid robot fanatics, whether you end up owning a Bioloid or a Robonova in the end, should have an I-Sobot on their desk. Reminding them that such technology, in such a small package, at such a low-cost, is not a far-fetched idea. Someone actually did it, and it's TOMY toys!!!

By the way, I want to mention that there is a youtuber that is really hooked on this thing and have made his I-Sobot do some crazy things, like attaching a rocket launcher, launching it on a skate board, and other Evil-Knieval stuff!!!

kanda
03-20-2009, 05:45 AM
hi striker, I've owned an i-sobot since its inception. I must say, the enjoyment factor is definitely up there when you initially get it.

The coolness wore off after awhile since I've watched all the canned (pre-programmed) moves 1000s of times (ok, maybe 100s of times). Still though, it's the most handsome robot in my collection, the most capable, and downright just neat to have a biped that small. I've always wanted a micro-servo based humanoid to play with (like the stuff from Innovati - look on youtube for Fred Lee's video) and the I-Sobot definitely has the micro servo stuff beat in size.

But eventually, the non-openess will make you tired of it. Once in a while, I still fire it up to entertain myself or guests that have never seen the thing. I know that there are some hacking going on out there, but since the architecture really isn't understood (documentations are proprietary I imagine) and the architecture really isn't as "open" as many of these other humanoid kits that are out there.

But I see on Trossen that they are sub $100 for an i-sobot now. What's there to lose? In my opinion, all humanoid robot fanatics, whether you end up owning a Bioloid or a Robonova in the end, should have an I-Sobot on their desk. Reminding them that such technology, in such a small package, at such a low-cost, is not a far-fetched idea. Someone actually did it, and it's TOMY toys!!!

By the way, I want to mention that there is a youtuber that is really hooked on this thing and have made his I-Sobot do some crazy things, like attaching a rocket launcher, launching it on a skate board, and other Evil-Knieval stuff!!!

I agree totally with you. Espcially at such a low cost for an humanoid....

Nelsontheunholy
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Isobot is definitely alot of fun I am working on a few things for mine right now including a psp battery mod and a coilgun upgrade that would give the isobot a kick arse little onboard coilgun for the dooming!! one of the guys on here is working on a propeller based drop in controller board to make the isobot a ton more open ended.