PDA

View Full Version : Senior Design Project Help

kayanat
03-17-2009, 05:20 AM
I have to design a robot for my senior project...Where should I start? This robot has to pick up a can of soda, measure its weight and according to the weight, place it in an appropriate storage room...I dont know much about robotics! I have alot of questions, like what processors I have to use and how many? What platform is the best? Plz help

Adrenalynn
03-17-2009, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I split this off from where you posted it since it should stand on its own.

lnxfergy
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm gonna be a little blunt here: threads like this ("I have a school project to do, and I know next to nothing, so tell me everything") don't get much response... ok, that was really blunt, anyways:

First off, what is your degree program? This tells us a lot about your background.

Second, how big are these "rooms" and how far apart are they? Is everything contained in an 8x8' arena, or does this bot have to navigate half a mile between rooms? It makes a big difference clearly.

I would take a little time to look around the web, see what's out there, so you can narrow your questions down. The mechanical side of this might be accomplished by something like a VEX kit, depending on your size limitations. Depending on your background, you might be better suited by a microcontroller, or a PC-bot with an interface board such as the Serializer. We can't possibly help you decide if we know nothing about you or your project. Giving us more information, and showing that you have done some research on your own, will vastly improve the quantity and quality of responses.

-Fergs