PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft guns

Firestorm65
04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know where to find good dimensions of stripped down gear boxes? I am trying to make a CAD of our robot but I can't find rough dimensions, let alone CAD models of the box. It is making the rest of the design difficult to say the least. Does anyone have any info that could help me?

gdubb2
04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Which guns ?? I could measuer the externals of the tank guns, but thats all I have.

Firestorm65
04-05-2009, 05:52 PM
We are looking at the "real" air soft guns. Something like this, with the mechanical trigger removed: http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-UPI-ICS-MC62.htm

Firestorm65
04-05-2009, 11:53 PM
For those in similar prediciments, I made a very basic model of this gun: http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-28793/Complete-M14-Gearbox-By/Detail in Inventor (Edu Ver). I may be the only one who needs this, pm is you want the actual file.

Sienna
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
For those in similar prediciments, I made a very basic model of this gun: http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-28793/Complete-M14-Gearbox-By/Detail in Inventor (Edu Ver). I may be the only one who needs this, pm is you want the actual file.
Keep in mind, you still need to add the motor to that mechbox.

Also, if you are starting from scratch, you might want to look at the M249 and version 6 mechboxes as well.

CogswellCogs
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Is there a compelling reason to step up from the cheap $20 AEG guns available from many sporting good stores ? Even the proposed larger arena is only 15' square. The longest shot we could possibly have in that environment is about 20'. I know those guns are only 100fps or so, but that should still be enough to register a hit. Can they not shoot accurately at even 20' ? Are you hoping for a knock-down by using a higher velocity gun ?

Thanks.

Firestorm65
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I was under the impression that the motor WAS in that mechbox. That's why we chose it over a version 6. The V6 was our second choice and wouldn't affect our design too much, but this is important to know.

Reason for these gearboxes: Accuracy, RoF, Adjustability, Can handle heavier rounds

Edit: You appear to be correct about the motor. I guess we will be going with a V6. Are there other in-line boxes besides the V6 to consider? The V2 and V3 both have the motor sticking out the end, which is not ideal for our design.

Sienna
04-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I think it depends on what you are attempting to do with the airsoft guns Cogs. In a biped, I don't think you will be able to step up to the metal AEG mechboxes, simply due to size and weight. (An AEG type setup will be at least 10" long when you consider the mechbox, hopup chamber and barrel.) The smaller LPEG mechboxes will be able to shoot as accuratly as the hopup (if it has one) and barrel permit (e.g., if you use a precision barrel and precision bbs you should be able to hit a target plate at 20' once you learn how high to compensate for BB drop at 100fps). The biggest advantage that the metal AEG mechboxes bring is power, rate of fire, and compatability with numerous hopup chambers and barrels. (provided you can get the feed mechanism for the BBs right of course.) If the robot "twitches" when it is standing (I see this with my HSR5990TG biped for instance), it might or might not be enough to cause your carefully aimed shot with a smaller RoF "tank gun" to miss, but it most likely won't be enough to cause all 15 to 25 shots fired from a metal gearbox in that same time frame to miss. (Just keep in mind with a metal mechbox, you will have to deal with recoil issues as well.)

In short, if I was building a quad, I would seriously look at metal mechboxes. (And perhaps look at some mechanical solution that ties two or more mechboxes together to one (higher power / efficiency) motor.) A quad should be able to handle the additional weight of the mechbox, power for the bigger motor, additional ammo, etc. But a biped, stick with the plastic airsoft mechboxes.

Firestorm: Look at the M249. Its inline, its just a little "long". And by V6, I assume you are going with the P90 variant right?

CogswellCogs
04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
>> In a biped, I don't think you will be able to step up to the metal AEG mechboxes, simply due to size and weight.

I had the same concern, especially when I read the plan to install a metal mechbox on a Lynxmotion Scout based biped.

I'm far from planning my armament at this point. I want to start by designing a torso that can walk effectively with a 4-5kg payload. My thought is that if I go through all the time and trouble to make a complete design, I MUST be serious enough about the project to shell out the requisite bucks to build it. Plan first, buy later :)

One more thing: If someone installs a metal mechbox and motor, would you please post the weight of the mechanism ?

DresnerRobotics
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM
You're looking at EX-106s (at minimum) for a biped capable of carrying that much payload.

CogswellCogs
04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
That should have read "weight" and not "payload".

Sienna
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I would love to post the weight... I have a lot of mechboxes (and other parts) laying around... however, I don't have a scale for that range, sorry :(