PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Pan-tilt + accelerometer(?)

javafiend
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I have an idea and I want to make sure I'm going the right direction with it. The ultimate goal is to have a camera mounted on a pan-tilt platform that is operated by the movement of possibly a hand-held video screen or one of those video goggle things. From what I've read, an accelerometer should do the job, right?

I really don't know how to do this, though, so if anyone has any tips I would appreciate the help. Anything to motivate me to get this project off the ground.

Adrenalynn
04-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Sounds about right. There would be two, maybe three discreet pieces. The video screen or video googles would have an accelerometer and a microcontroller. The micro would read the accelerometer and send out data to a servo controller or another microcontroller (maybe wireless over XBee if that floats your boat). The servo controller or second micro would then send PWM [or serial, depends upon what kind of servos you've chosen...] to the servos based on some interpolation of that data.

javafiend
04-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks, Adrenalynn. It's good to know I'm on the right track. I hadn't considered going wireless with it, but I think that may be a direction I should look at now.

I don't have a camera or any small video display, what I do have is an accelerometer, pan-tilt settup from lynxmotion, breadboard, and an Arduino. I think at this point everything is going to remain wired until more funds and parts become available (which may be a long time :( ).

Even though I probably won't ever compete or build a mech, Mech Warfare is the inspiration for this idea. I thought it would be pretty cool to control the gun turret and camera separately from the rest of the mechby moving your head, with video goggles, or controller, with video display attached.