PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Sentry gun

Grand Robot Master
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I have plans for building an autonomous paintball and or airsoft sentry gun. I was, like most people, inspired by these little guys in games like team fortress 2 and half life. I was wondering what sensors i should use. perhaps a CMU cam i really dont care what itr looks like, as long as it is fairly efficient and easy to carry.

Adrenalynn
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
If you want to shoot at a blob of color, a CMU cam is probably going to work, as long as it's within a few feet.

If you want anything more advanced, you'll need a real camera interfaced to a real computer. Roborealm is a good start for software.

Incidentally - we can't read files from your hard drive. Click the "Go Advanced" button, then click the "Manage Attachments" then browse to the file, and click "Upload" then click "close". Now we can see the file. :)

Grand Robot Master
04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
how far are we talking about with the CMU cam?
I was considering targeting color because it is fairly easy to distinguish and it helps with the gun not shooting your team.
some people have made guns that automatically aim for the heart or the head, however they do that.
what else could i use, body heat? what other sensors do you recommend?

indy007
09-26-2009, 12:33 PM
I've been at this and refining different versions for some time. What precisely are you trying to shoot?

Anything big and moving at a moderate speed? That's easy. Just use AForge.Net's C# framework, and you'll be done in an hour (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-video/Motion_Detection.aspx). I had a demonstration using AForge.NET, DirectX joystick code, and a Phidgets 4 servo controller posted here awhile back, but I don't know what happened to it. There's a video of an early version, without a marker mounted yet, on my youtube profile.

YouTube - USB Turret Test - Single Target Track
YouTube - USB Turret Test - basic functionality testing

If you're trying to shoot a small nerf vortex football moving towards you @ 250 fps in a ballistic trajectory... that's a lot harder.