PDA

View Full Version : Tripod

Grand Robot Master
04-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I was wondering how hard it is to build a tripod robot
i would imagine the main thing is balance
would a large foot area or small foot area be better (i'm guessing large)

darkback2
04-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I tried to make a tripod about a year go...You have to be careful to be sure the legs are articulate enough to move so that the center of gravity is between the two legs that you want to keep on the ground.

Also, the larger feet have more of a cost when you try to turn the foot while it is on the ground. If your rotating around a point that is in contact then it is easier for the servos rotating the foot.

Check out this bot by Sienna... (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1600&highlight=tripods+rule) Personally, I'm really impressed with her work, but I wouldn't suggest trying it unless you have some serious experience as a builder of walking robots. I would almost argue that a tripod is harder than a biped...With a biped you go into it knowing your legs have to be under the center of gravity. With a tripod, your trying to balance the body between two legs...

In anycase, tripods are hard.

Also, you seam to have a lot of questions about walking robots....

DB

Sienna
04-18-2009, 09:40 PM
My robot actually didn't balance... It was just some "creative" forward kinematics playing with Lynxmotion's SEQ program. It really isn't all that impressive, but it looks cool :P

Balancing was on the agenda, but as I just started playing with accelerometers only this month, you can see it got a bit... delayed. :)

Grand Robot Master
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
yes.....I am rather fascinated by them and would like to build them.....a whole army......MWaha-MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* but tripods apparently are not quite the way to go for that.
I really like Sienna's bot though.