PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Anti-Spam Moderation Update

Alex
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Cut from Adrenalynn's post here (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showpost.php?p=30326&postcount=22):

Sorry - I approved your post. That anti-spam stuff is proving to be pretty obnoxious. Might have to give Alex a shout tomorrow. So far, it's been zero for dozens against real spam, but it's killing legitimate posts left and right...

I totally agree that this anti-spam stuff is becoming rather obnoxious, to say the least:(

First of all, I want to offer my apologies to everyone that had to deal with the Anti-Spam tools moderating their posts. As many of you know, I've been working hard at trying out various techniques to try and eliminate all of the BS spam that's been getting through and putting a damper on the integrity of the TRC.

Good news though! I think I may have figured out how to stop the anti-spam service from moderating legitimate posts:D

From here on out, if anyone in the TRC gets their post moderated and they have over three posts to their name, please email me directly:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/images/contact/AlexEmail.jpg

I want to try and fine tune this as best as possible, but will need feedback from everyone to know if it is working.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions/feedback/complaints about this or any other part of the website or forums, please don't hesitate to give me a shout! I have a pretty strong backbone, so please don't be concerned about "hurting my feelings", haha! My goal is to provide everyone with nothing short of an excellent user experience here in the TRC and I can't do that without feedback from all of you who use it on a day to day basis:D

MikeG
05-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Don't know if this will apply to this forum but I found creating custom required fields located in the account creation (or posting) process really trips up the spam bots. You can add simply things like a textbox to capture "What's the square root of 16?". A dropdown that asks "Who are you?" a spam bot, a person, ... where the default is set to spam bot.

If the bots get wise (programmers) just change the questions and answers.

Adrenalynn
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Alex has done an outstanding job with keeping the spamming down - I don't think we've had a single spambot in many months make it through. What we get are the ... Live Spambots for lack of a better word. The foreign $.05/day "employees" paid to effectively spam forums and blogs.

His challenge/response system is very robust. Honestly, I keep the live spam trimmed back pretty well, and Tybs and Alex cover for me during those couple hours a day I'm sleeping. Several users are really diligent about using the reporting function which is also key (since that gets forwarded to my phone too)

I'm just not sure how much this current round of automation is buying us.

Alex
05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
thanks Adrenalynn:o

Don't know if this will apply to this forum but I found creating custom required fields located in the account creation (or posting) process really trips up the spam bots. You can add simply things like a textbox to capture "What's the square root of 16?". A dropdown that asks "Who are you?" a spam bot, a person, ... where the default is set to spam bot.

Thanks Mike! That's actually the last thing that I did right before we "stopped" getting spambots from registering. A mix of a custom required field and the reCAPTCHA system seems to be working great. Like you said too, once the bot figures out the question we have, just change it:)