PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for new board

sniperscope
05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Hello Everyone: I need little help regarding the next step I would like to take in robotics. I have approx 40 AX12's, and 3 AX-S1's.
I'm looking to buy a good board to expand, add additional small servos and if possible be able to use some type GUI for programming. So far, I have taken a look at the Axon and Roboard. Both of these boards require some type of modification in order to get the AX12's running properly. Am I on the right track or is there a board I have overlooked that can meet my requirements? Thanks to however responds.

DresnerRobotics
05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
The only plug and play controllers out there for the Dynamixels are the CM-5 and the CM-2+, past that any board you use will require some sort of modification. The Roboard only requires that you connect TX/RX on Com 3, and supply the AX-12s with power, but you would have to build a cable to connect them. Not sure what is the deal with the Axon, but since it has a UART I would imaging you would be able to interface the AX-12s without much issue.

sniperscope
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, so in order to power the AX12's on a Roboard I'm going to need a power source (Rechargeable Batteries) along with some type of power regulator to control the voltage being feed to the Servos. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I learn my way through the Matrix.

Adrenalynn
05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
As long as the power source is not higher than the AX12's can handle (11.1v is great), then no, you don't need a regulator. You'd have a tough time finding one that could handle that many servos anyway.

sniperscope
05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks. Just to be clear I just want to have the most options aval. since I have so many of the AX12's. The most would be about 24 at one time.