PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Starting smaller

SteamAutomaton
05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Dear Community:

I am putting my big project on hold until I get some smaller projects under my belt. ;)

So for my first one I am planning is two servo, one motor rover using an arduino controller. One servo is gong to be used for steering the drive motor and the other for sonar and other sensors platform. It will be about lunchbox sized.

The question I have is how to drive the motor. I have a motor from a cordless screwdriver that was powered by a three cell ("C" size) pack. I am assuming 3.6 volts. Unfortunately, there is no other data.:(

Later there will be a question on sensors

Yours,
Steam Automaton

Adrenalynn
05-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Motor controller. But we need to know something about the motor

If it's a 3S lithium, don't assume 3.6v. A 3S lithium would be 11.1v

3 cell NiMH is probably 3.6v

What did the charger put out?

If you put a multimeter across the fully charged pack, what does the multimeter read?

SteamAutomaton
09-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Dear Community:

I am back. Sorry for the delay in responding, life happen. One of the life happenings is that I am back to school taking computers and electronics. Basically, getting a degree in what I already know. So far I just been updating my terminology and dusting off old braincells.

One of my classes is Intro to C Programing. The last time I did programing was in basic and ladder logic. // please #include <"line.#>" :REM Wow you can program without line numbers?! Boy do I feel like a 80386.:veryhappy:

Back to the rover, the current plan is use two stepper motors and a single DC motor. I will be using the DC motor for the drive (found a better one than the cordless one), one stepper for steering, and the other one for senor direction. This is starting to look like a collage project.:D

Updates will slow, but coming.

Yours,
Steam Automaton

SteamAutomaton
09-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Dear Community:

Just ordered the arduino controller.:D Now to wait.:(

Yours,
Steam Automaton

SteamAutomaton
09-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Dear Community:

Quick question,"I ordered the arduino Saturday morning. How many days from Chicago the Albany,NY via UPS?" I am assuming over 3 business days.

Yours,
Steam Automaton

lnxfergy
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
I typically get stuff from Trossen in 2 business days (saturday order = monday ship = albany on wednesday).

-Fergs

sam
09-21-2009, 09:47 AM
It could be written when you go on the UPS site and track your order. I've also noticed that sometimes they take away the ETA (I guess a storm or something like that).

Sam

SteamAutomaton
09-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I typically get stuff from Trossen in 2 business days (Saturday order = Monday ship = Albany on Wednesday).

-Fergs

Dear Community:

Interesting, UPS ground is faster than UPS 3-day? Or is Trossen so good and they use a single charged flux capacitor in their packaging? :p

Yours,
Steam Automaton

Adrenalynn
09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Ground is unguaranteed. 3 day, 2 day, overnight, priority overnight, etc. are guaranteed. If they don't get there on time you can open a complaint ticket with UPS and they'll ignore it in the order they receive it. Just one of the many services they offer [to mess up].

sam
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Ground is unguaranteed. 3 day, 2 day, overnight, priority overnight, etc. are guaranteed. If they don't get there on time you can open a complaint ticket with UPS and they'll ignore it in the order they receive it. Just one of the many services they offer [to mess up].

UPS is so much fun...

SteamAutomaton
09-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Dear Community:

Arduino ordered from Trossen, last Saturday; Confirmation from Trossen, email received 4:29; UPS tracking number, email received 4:41; Arduino programming interface, downloaded last Saturday; Parts, (from college and parts bin) ready; Schematic, just downloaded; Arduino, in route; Fun with microprocessor, on hold; Plans, classified! :D

Oh wait, I started this thread with my plans. :rolleyes: Oops. :p

I will up date when the new toy, er tool, gets here. ;)

Yours,
Steam Automaton

lnxfergy
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Steam, where you going to school?

-Fergs

SteamAutomaton
09-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Steam, where you going to school?

-Fergs

Dear Fergs:

ITT-Tech - Albany Campus. Major - Computer and Electronics Technology. Currently, with GPA 4.0 for the first quarter. Not bad, for a C to D student in High School and the first time I went to college. :cool:

Yours,
Steam Automaton

SteamAutomaton
09-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Dear Community:

We have Arduino !! Gee, it looks bigger in the pictures. :)

Yours,
Steam Automaton

SteamAutomaton
10-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Dear Community:

I have entered my college's Tech Fest and my Duemilanove has been temporary been hijacked for it. I have a question about the Arduino and its clones. The Duemilanove's form factor will not fit in the final case for this project. I am planning on getting a Boarduino that will.

The question is, "If I have the completed project bread-boarded and operating properly, with the Duemilanove, can I switch the ATMEGA328 between them, or would it be smarter to buy the "miniUSB": USB to TTL converter to get the program in the Boarduino that way?":confused:

My wallet is leaning towards the first choice, my confidence of pulling the chip without possible damage is leaning to the second.:robotindifferent:

Next year, sensors + motors!:D

Yours,
Steam Automaton

SteamAutomaton
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Dear Community:

Long time no type. With college and life getting in the way, my small rover got shelved for a short time.:(

But recently, my college had a equipment decommissioning of a lot of old equipment. Current pre-dumpster diving (they never did get to the dumpster;)) is one O-scope and two Heathkit microprocessor educational systems. That is right "Heathkit Educational Systems; Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan!" :eek: The same company that bought us the Hero series of robots: 1, Jr., and 2000.

One of the Heathkits I am planing to keep original, the other (which is already missing the power cord and broken power switch) is going to be used for parts. Two of those parts are a 21-keypad and a 2 X 20(?) LCD!

Some questions::confused:

-- Is would it possible to configure an Arduino for a LCD and a 21-keypad?

-- Would modding the Heathkit to battery be easier?

So, what are peoples thoughts about this. :happy:
Yes, I know that there is missing information. Why?:confused: I am still looking it myself.:rolleyes:

Yours,
Steam Automaton

SteamAutomaton
05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
All these parts, no time to put them together. Who else has that problem?:p

Stobs
05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
... one O-scope and two Heathkit microprocessor educational systems. That is right "Heathkit Educational Systems; Heath Company, Benton Harbor, Michigan!" :eek: The same company that bought us the Hero series of robots: 1, Jr., and 2000.

One of the Heathkits I am planing to keep original, the other (which is already missing the power cord and broken power switch) is going to be used for parts. Two of those parts are a 21-keypad and a 2 X 20(?) LCD!

Wow, not sure how I missed this one but it's from quite awhile ago! I think that's pretty cool stuff, even though it's way older than that green fuzzy thing in the back of my refrigerator! :D

... would it possible to configure an Arduino for a LCD and a 21-keypad?

I would think the software side of the equation would be a more difficult undertaking; what are the connector types on them?

... Would modding the Heathkit to battery be easier?

That's a bit ambiguous - easier than what?

Regards