PDA

View Full Version : Issydunnyet (A mech)

lnxfergy
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
NOTE: Issy has been rebuilt, for Fire Fighting: See New Thread Here (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3543)
NOTE: See Issy2 (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3757), being built for the 2010 Mech Warfare competition.
(http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3543)
Figured I would post a few pics and links related to my entry for mech warfare at robogames. I decided I might have just enough time, so I started building this Saturday night. Issy is built of a bioloid kit, with AVR/XBee control.

After a few days of work, I have an AVR controller on board, still gotta finish the walking gaits on the AVR (and tune the existing ones, for the higher weight now that I have the camera/gun mounted).

-Fergs

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/issy.jpg

Additional pictures:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1226&c=3&userid=1768
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1225&c=3&userid=1768

YouTube - Issydunnyet Mostly Done
YouTube - Issydunnyet Walking and Turning

darkback2
05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Your coming along great given how little time we have left.

Really good work.

DB

sthmck
05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Are those lynxmotion brackets I see? I remember talking about that but I didn't think the holes would line up right. Looks pretty awesome though.

lnxfergy
05-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Are those lynxmotion brackets I see? I remember talking about that but I didn't think the holes would line up right. Looks pretty awesome though.

Yes those are. The lynxmotion holes line up quite nicely actually. The new legs are huge improvement over the old ones.. it also means I have liberated some of my bioloid brackets from being used in legs.

-Fergs

P.S. sthmck, you coming to Robogames?

sthmck
05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
P.S. sthmck, you coming to Robogames?

At this point it is really up in the air. If I do come it will be without a bot, but I am not even sure if I will be able to. I would say at this point there is a 50/50 chance. Are you going to be able to make it? I know you said you werent sure when I talked to you at Trinity.

lnxfergy
05-21-2009, 10:57 PM
The xbee/avr control is now implemented, quick video of driving Issy with a joystick.

YouTube - Issydunnyet w/ XBEE control

Obscene
05-22-2009, 12:07 AM
That's awesome. I'm liking what you've done with the movement.

darkback2
05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Your shuffle gate is so fast...It's incredible. Wow. Can't wait to see that thing fully loaded and running the course!

Noodle
05-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Wow that's awesome, really speedy ;)

DresnerRobotics
05-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Your shuffle gate is so fast...It's incredible. Wow. Can't wait to see that thing fully loaded and running the course!

That's AX-12s for ya. ;) 1st video shows it pretty loaded.

lnxfergy
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
That's AX-12s for ya. ;) 1st video shows it pretty loaded.

Yeah, the first video shows the camera and guns... although its also the older gait... the new gaits are way better...

Still to add:
gun hoppers
target boards system
armor over the main PCB

-Fergs

jes1510
05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I love this mech man. The turns are so beautiful!

lnxfergy
05-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I should be done with the gun & cam system in a day or two... I scrapped the pan servo, since he turns so freakin fast (and I found it near impossible to drive with a pan on top...). I've also switched from the airlink camera to the trendnet one. He'll have a single gun along side the camera. In the meantime, here's a pic from yesterday, showing Issy's new controller board:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/issy2.jpg

-Fergs

Obscene
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Beautiful. That must be the new PCB you're working on, and honestly, I can't wait to get my hands on one of those. Keep us posted!

lnxfergy
05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Beautiful! Is that a Sanguino?

It's my own board, but it's sanguino compatible...

-Fergs

lnxfergy
05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Here's a mock up of what the camera/gun mount will look like.. actually, the gun is in it's final configuration (sans hopper), the camera mount will be replaced tomorrow, and then I'll figure out some sort of cover for it... I also need to make the lexan covers for main body.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/issy-mock1.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/issy-mock2_82763.jpg

Sigma X
05-29-2009, 01:58 AM
that's a great quad but an even better control board i'd bet it made programming easier

Zenta
05-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Wow!

Awesome progress on this quad of yours. Your last video showed some impressive fast walking. And great work with the board too!

Excellent, keep up the good work!

BTW, It seems like you have a good control on the kinematics too? Are you able to do body rotation while walking? If so I don't really see the point in using more weight for a pan/tilt servo instead of using the body to move the weapon? Just a suggestion.

-Zenta

DresnerRobotics
05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow!

Awesome progress on this quad of yours. Your last video showed some impressive fast walking. And great work with the board too!

Excellent, keep up the good work!

BTW, It seems like you have a good control on the kinematics too? Are you able to do body rotation while walking? If so I don't really see the point in using more weight for a pan/tilt servo instead of using the body to move the weapon? Just a suggestion.

-Zenta

I don't think he has IK implemented on this, only FK. IK body roll/pitch would be great for aiming though!

Zenta
05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think he has IK implemented on this, only FK. IK body roll/pitch would be great for aiming though!
"Only" FK..? Hmm, that made the last video even more impressive!

-Zenta

lnxfergy
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Yeah.. basically, no kinematics right now. I'm just using parameterized poses. I really hadn't thought about using the body as a tilt servo.... hmm, don't have time for that now, but that will be fun to play with after robogames.

-Fergs

lnxfergy
05-31-2009, 03:10 PM
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/issy4.jpg
Issy now has guns, and a camera. The lower deck has it's sheathing on, still have to create it for the upper deck. And install scoring panels.

-Fergs

Obscene
05-31-2009, 06:52 PM
That looks great so far and I really like the style of the whole 'bot. What material are you using for the sheathing?

lnxfergy
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
That looks great so far and I really like the style of the whole 'bot. What material are you using for the sheathing?

It's 0.030" lexan like you would find on an RC car body.

-Fergs

Obscene
05-31-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm sorry to keep bugging you, but how did you shape the lexan?

I was thinking of building a sealed box that I can place a mould into and lay the lexan sheet over the box and mold. Then I could heat it in the oven and vaccuum mould it into shape.

Something like this: YouTube - DIY Vacuum molding machine

I think lexan becomes something close to plastic at about 350 degrees.

lnxfergy
05-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I bend it cold... like forming sheet metal.

-Fergs

lnxfergy
06-07-2009, 01:42 AM
So Issy shipped yesterday morning to make it to Robogames ahead of me. Thought I would post a few pics of his last few days of development. First off, had to redo the mount for the tilt servo:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/img_0313.jpg

This mount also had a great effect of stiffening the robots frame, I'm not entirely sure that's desirable.. if I decide it is, I'm gonna probably put a similar plate between the front two servos. And finally a final-ish pic, minus camera cover, but sporting target plates.. I'll have some better photos after robogames.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/img_0308.jpg

ScuD
06-07-2009, 04:34 AM
This thing looks radical Fergs...

Wish I could make the games to see all these beauties up close!

mannyr7
06-08-2009, 02:39 AM
What adhesive did you use to attach the sensor pad to your spacer and target plate?

lnxfergy
06-08-2009, 05:50 AM
What adhesive did you use to attach the sensor pad to your spacer and target plate?

The metal plate of the sensor is attached to the lexan target plate with some thinner double-sided tape. The target plate is then attached to the mech using velcro. I think everyone is using velcro to mount the plates, most others are using hot glue on the sensor but I couldn't find a working hot glue gun around the house, tried the tape and it worked quite well.

-Fergs

ScuD
06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Fergs, dumb question here..

I'm wondering how you program these gaits?
I've had my bioloid kit for quite some time now but haven't put much work into actually coding these puppies, only playing with the standard terminal thingamajig.

Are you using the Xbee coupled to a PC to control the gaits, or is the AVR doing the coding and the XBEE just translating forward/back/left/right?

I know a bit about embedded coding but have no idea about how to go on from this part... high level programming is still a bit "out there" although I have been working on some C coding for microcontrollers for quite some time now, so I think I might wander into the realms of forward kinematics.

Leaves me with the question, are the gaits programmed in a "move leg 1 to x,y,z" fashion?

Actually if anyone could chime in on this would be great :)

lnxfergy
06-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Fergs, dumb question here..

I'm wondering how you program these gaits?
I've had my bioloid kit for quite some time now but haven't put much work into actually coding these puppies, only playing with the standard terminal thingamajig.

Are you using the Xbee coupled to a PC to control the gaits, or is the AVR doing the coding and the XBEE just translating forward/back/left/right?

I know a bit about embedded coding but have no idea about how to go on from this part... high level programming is still a bit "out there" although I have been working on some C coding for microcontrollers for quite some time now, so I think I might wander into the realms of forward kinematics.

Leaves me with the question, are the gaits programmed in a "move leg 1 to x,y,z" fashion?

Actually if anyone could chime in on this would be great :)

Traditionally, people program walking robots by one of two methods: they either do pose and capture with interpolation (or on older servos, guess and test to find the pose rather than capture it), or they use IK to generate poses and interpolations. IK can take a lot of processing power, and on higher DOF beasts, the kinematic chains can become intractable.

Assuming you are doing pose and capture, people then typically make lots of poses, store them, and play them back. The controller handles interpolation, and sends out servo position at some high rate, maybe 20 or 30Hz. A walking quad might have dozens of poses for different walks.

I disregarded all of that. I have a 3 poses total on issy. First, my neutral position, which defines the legs stretched outward into the four corners of the bot, and the feet all on the ground. I then have two poses with legs stretched out the neutral corner positions and either the LFr/Rr lifted, or the LFr/Lr lifted (I walk by swinging two legs forward at a time, and pushing the other two back).

So then, how the heck do I walk? I have parameterized my walk, the lift servos all move 30 points (out of the 1024 positions in the servos), the swing forward/backward is between 0 and 100 points, depending on the speed I want to walk. To turn, I apply a higher step size on the left side vs right side, or negative step size on a particular side to turn in place or walk backwards. On issy, the parameters are added in by hand in C code... but the gait engine I'm working on now, actually stores which parameter to apply in the pose data.

Next comes the problem of interpolating, which can eat up all your processing power and saturate your bus.... but, each AX-12 has an AVR processor on there, so why the heck not move interpolation off-board to each individual servo. So, my pose structures incorporate the servo speed as well, and I just send out a pose, all goes well, its a set it and forget it kinda structure.

All of my poses are in the AVR.. I just send the parameters. And actually I send signed psuedo-parameters for forward/backward speed, turn, body shift L/R, and then the actual scaled value for the tilt servo position.

Ok, that pretty much describes my gait structure... now, time for a LIVE UPDATE FROM ROBOGAMES

Issy had a hard day at robogames. I blew out the gear train on a servo (first time I've ever done that, but I was probably trying to walk too fast with all the gear onboard). I had also turned off the load error detection, which I think might have killed the gear train... probably gonna put that back on, and speed the gait up, the load seems to be worse when I try to move the lift servos slower. I'm still having some issues with the scoring system going off when I walk, but tomorrow we are gonna try a different mounting scheme for the sensors and target panel.

I lugged Issy and his pelican case back to the hotel this evening... setup my new servo (had to set the ID to the correct postition)... and then.. dang, I left some silly code on Issy's processor that set ALL SERVOS TO ID 7... um yeah.. spent a bunch of time disconnecting all the servos... rezapping each with the correct ID... and now I'm back on target. I've gotten a little time tuning some parameters in my gait... but really, with all this mech gear onboard, and the legs so far out, it's a hefty load to carry. I'm not entirely sure how well Issy is gonna hold up.

-Fergs

Testing2000
06-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Fergs, are are you on the fifth floor of this shitbox hotel

lnxfergy
06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Ok.. UPDATE FROM ROBOGAMES:

Friday
5PM: (or so.. day was sort ofa blur): Battle 1 with Gdubb. After about 3 minutes Issy blows up a servo, fails on his back and dies....
10PM-2AM: Spend a bunch of time working on load error issues (apparently you can't clear a load error on an AX-12 without powering down and back on again). Finish PyMech interface, so I can now monitor servo temperature and voltage.

Saturday
10:00AM: Woke up late after late night finishing stuff. Stop at Wallgreens to buy random stuff: 20ft extension cord, power strip, 2-sided tape, scissors, furniture slides, 2 mailing envelopes (for the cardboard), and more velcro. Get weird looks from clerk.
11:00AM: Reattach scoring boards with hot glue and doubled up velcro. Issy still setting scoring stuff off occasionally. Arg...
1:00PM: On a recommendation from Andrew, Issy now has 2-DOF legs (rather than 3). He's way more stable, way longer battery life, no more load errors and just as fast. I also worked out the remaining issues with the scoring plates on Issy, so he's battle ready. Elation ensues.
3:00PM: Battle 2 with Gdubb. I get a few shots in, he gets a few shots in.. I'm a little up when gdubbs camera dies. Issy scurries around like crazy, coming up behind Bheka, thinking I'm awesome, I unload my guns driving Bheka's score to zero... only after which I find out there is a reason gdubb doesn't fight back...
4:05PM: Battle 3 with Gdubb. Right off the bat, Gary gets a few shots in, I get a few shots in... after about 6 minutes, he's a little up, then his camera craps out again and my gun jams. We pause for assistance, gdubb stands up to watch arena directly for remainder of match and my gun is unjammed, Issy and Bheka continue to battle...
4:17PM: then at 12 minutes in, my battery dumps (I didn't change it out... silly me, but I've now found I have about 25-40 minutes of battery life between these two matches and the previous testing I did). At this point, I hear my guns still firing, and then find a very fun bug:

if(vmain < 980){
// shutdown!
int data;
Print("Battery Expired!\n");
// kill servos
for(data=0;data<14;data++)
ax12status(data,0);
while(1);
}else{Hmm, wait a minute, I never turn the gun motor off in there... yup, the gun was on when the battery was decided to have expired, it continues to shoot like crazy...
4:18PM: Andrew and I storm the arena covering our eyes from the richochets to turn Issy off... Code gets fixed.
4:30PM: Connor fires up Shadow Scout. He can't walk, but he has rediculous fire power. Nothing will be able to get a shot on him until he's out of ammo. A new rule is concieved -- the "German Pillbox/Anti-Turret" rule, mechs must walk at least several steps before they can deliver a shot to another mech...
5:00PM: Stop to work on GMR for a while, pack up Issy for the night
7:30PM: Che yells, "hey, Travel channel wants to video a match, get your mech ready", I begin setting up when Travel Channel woman says to Andrew "you'll be ready in 2 minutes, right?" We laugh.. then realize she's serious. Travel Channel lady leaves before Squidword is booted up.
7:35PM: Battle 1 with Squidword..neither of us are using cameras since we were trying to setup so fast... Issy runs around like a rabid squirrel again. Squidword unloads guns with scary accuracy and fire rate, then falls over. Yes.. that's right, A QUAD FELL OVER.. jokes, and threats of expulsion from Mechwars ensue.
7:36PM: That crazy Society of Robots robot with big arms on it, enters the arena... He taunts issy by grabbing the head. I debate shooting him... then decide hitting an unarmored Surveyor camera is a bad idea... I fire warning shot across his bow instead.
7:38PM: LandShark enters arena... wtf? What happened to the mechs... Issy runs around for a while, firing lots of warning shots... I resist the urge to really pown uncovered electronics.... Issy exits arena and gets packed up again.

-Fergs

Testing2000
06-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Now for the truth. The people here are pretty awesome. I pretty much wandered most of the day. The big cage (the steel I-beam base perimeter is very required when these monsters hit the wall)had scuffed Lexan windows and people standing four deep so I went for the smaller non lethal events. The equipment they build is real pretty awesome. When Fergs said the arm came after him he didn't mention that a guy (sorry, too many names) was drivin the bot and Adrenalynn had her bio-arm control strapped on. I had the privaledge (sp?) of assisting the attachment at one point. I don't have the mental skills to upload any pictures right now but dumped 1.5Gb, 490 pictures to Andrew's laptop. Probably the same tommorow.

Best regards,
Testing

jes1510
06-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Was Shadow Scout not able to walk at all? How are the rest of the mechs faring?

Testing2000
06-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Sorry, I don't know the names and connections well enough to answer that. Today will tell

Zenta
06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi,

Have been watching some vids on youtube of the Robogames 2009. It looks awesome!

Did I see Issy (start at 1:46) on this video?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZJLhoI4rI

Looks like fun!

-Zenta

lnxfergy
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Yep, Zenta that was one of the matches between Issy and Bheka. The screen shots are also of my control system and me driving.

-Fergs

Zenta
06-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Yep, Zenta that was one of the matches between Issy and Bheka. The screen shots are also of my control system and me driving.

-Fergs

Yeah it looked awesome!! I wish I could be there too. Next year you should have real kinematics for controlling body rotation, that would help you aiming even better.

BTW, whats the red parts on Issy's feet?

-Zenta

lnxfergy
06-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah it looked awesome!! I wish I could be there too. Next year you should have real kinematics for controlling body rotation, that would help you aiming even better.

BTW, whats the red parts on Issy's feet?

-Zenta

Oh absolutely, I just ran out of time. The red parts are tape, over furniture slides, to lower the friction he has with the ground. Since I'm not using any kinematics, the walking requires some slip. He wasn't getting enough slip with the existing feet.

-Fergs

lnxfergy
06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Short video from Issy's onboard camera.

YouTube - Onboard video from Issydunnyet at Robogames

-Fergs

lnxfergy
06-15-2009, 12:13 AM
I've uploaded a few pics of a full PyMech screen

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1304&c=newimages&cutoffdate=2

-Fergs

Sigma X
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
looks like you we're doing awsome ant the warfare scene great job keep shooting!!

Adrenalynn
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Grats to Fergs (Gold), Gdub (Silver), and Darback2 (Bronze) in Mech Warfare!

Grats to everyone - whether they got it running and shooting or not. Great first year!

jes1510
06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Nice! Congrats guys! Which one of DB's mechs took the silver?

Adrenalynn
06-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I believe it was Squidword. DB had already left, so didn't get to collect his medal. I'll post photos of the award ceremony shortly.

Adrenalynn
06-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I'll go through my photos and create an image-heavy thread for them, but since these are on-topic, I thought I'd toss 'em here.

I'm still going through photos, although I was primarily the videographer and didn't get much of a chance to run around and take stills... [Plenty of people doing that anyway]

So - here's a few:

--- Issy and Bheka, Gold and Silver medalists, square off ---

--- Gold and Silver Medal in Mech Warefare. Bronze went to Darkback2, who (due to flight time constraints) couldn't be there to accept it -----

ooops
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Congrats Fergs :)
And to all that were there.

Zenta
06-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Congratz to you all!

When watching the short video from Issy's onboard camera I got reminded of the first shoot em up 3d games like Wolfenstein 3d and Doom. Cool! LOL

-Zenta

lnxfergy
06-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Congratz to you all!

When watching the short video from Issy's onboard camera I got reminded of the first shoot em up 3d games like Wolfenstein 3d and Doom. Cool! LOL

-Zenta

Yep... you're not the first to say that..

-Fergs

lnxfergy
06-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, Issy has made it home, and has been disassembled in preparation for a rebuild. During the breakdown I took a number of pictures and am compiling a tutorial on how Issy was built. Most of the tutorial is done, except the control software section and adding a schematic.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/build-articles-130/build-your-own-issydunnyet-3257/

-Fergs

Sigma X
06-29-2009, 02:59 PM
I cannot wait maybe I can get some pointers also congrats at robogames just being there must been fun

lnxfergy
08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I've begun working on Issy's IK. I've implemented body movements and a single walking gait, shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZacVmNutZxM

Unfortunately, it appears I need revisit his mechanical construction. The # of IK solutions that work are few and far between because of the funky leg design, and I'm not too keen on forcing issy to walk with his legs way stretched out most of the time.

For the moment, I can get about 5 degrees of body roll, 25 degrees upward of body tilt (still not quite enough to shoot Giger up close), and about 15 degrees of body pan. His walking is already quite a bit smoother, but still needs work (it's currently giving Out Of Range on a few parts of the walk, which causes scuffing of the feet).

-Fergs

lnxfergy
08-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Ok, new leg design on Issy, vastly improves his range of motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQkctKZVeE
There is still some skittering around of the feet, eventually I'll replace the SES legs with something more exact.

A view of a few different leg configurations, while on the bench:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/img_0649.jpg

sam
08-31-2009, 07:34 PM
The mech looks very nice and the IK makes it look great!

Sam