PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Pico-ITX Johnny 5

DresnerRobotics
05-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey all. Well, my J5 has sat by my desk relatively unused for almost a year. I presented it at the Museum of Science & Industry last fall, but aside from that it has been gathering a bit of dust. Since organizing Mech Warfare and building my own Mech I simply don't have any time for this project anymore and don't see that changing anytime soon.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/2/pico-itx-johnny5.jpg

So, I'm looking to sell the robot. It's a great PC based robotics platform and would give an excellent starting point to anyone looking for an advanced project platform. This robot was featured on the cover of the September 2008 SERVO Magazine, and I'll even include a copy of said issue :D

It is a heavily modified Lynxmotion Johnny 5 platform, which alone retails for $1000. I have expanded the arms, augmented them with 6 HSR-5990s, added a pan/tilt head with 2 cameras and an LED mouth that is sync'd to the voice output. Most importantly, I've integrated a 1ghz VIA C7 Pico-ITX Motherboard-CPU running Windows XP, which has 1gb of ram and an 80gb harddrive and WiFi. I have Roborealm loaded on the robot, capable of various colored blob tracking via the onboard cameras, as well as a number of motion sequences programmed into the SEQ servo sequencer software. It's pretty much ready for someone to take and run with, but not a project I would recommend for a complete beginner.

For more information on the project, see my thread here: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1312

I'm asking for $1500 for Johnny 5, as-is, although it is in good working condition. If you do the math on all of the components, that's a fairly steep discount. I recall passing the $2500 mark on all the components while building it. If you're interested, please send me a PM.

Ironman
05-25-2009, 11:23 AM
oooo so tempting.

ScuD
05-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Rescep-tah...

I could never part with any of my projects, even if they've been gathering dust for 10+ years. I'd cannibalize them for parts before being able to sell them off.

Having said that, the pricetag is waaaaaaaay low for this puppy :D

Sigma X
05-29-2009, 02:05 AM
when I first saw this I thought ha ha this must be a joke but I now believe the infamous J5 is for sell
I gotta bust open my piggy bank...again

nagmier
05-29-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm tell you I wish this had gone up when I was first building my bot 2 months ago... I would have went that way ... and it woulda been cheaper :( Good deal though! VERY

Grand Robot Master
05-29-2009, 08:20 PM
:robotsurprised:whoa, man! that is cheap for a incredibly modded j5! even i could almost afford it. it shouldnt be trusted in the hands of me though:p

Hellfire
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Has this been sold?

DresnerRobotics
06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I currently have an offer in for it, still discussing details.

DresnerRobotics
07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
This is sold, btw. =)

SystemDefect
10-04-2009, 08:04 PM
:( Dam Navy... Made me miss out on this one I would have loved networking your robot with mine and getting them to talk to each other. ;) http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/3/5/8/7/dscn0499.jpg

mannyr7
10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
:eek: Holy Moly!!! That is one kick-a$$ bot!!!

SystemDefect
10-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Why thank you, he has the Robotics connection Serializer and ranger boards, Pico ITX, Bluetooth, Wifi, RF for a Remote controlle, still experimenting with voice commands, but does reply using a primitive AI program Ultra Hal. I gave him the best robot voice I could find that maches the Voice of Joshua (whopper) from the movie wargames. All charging circuits have been designed to be onboard and I used the UPS Card from mini-box so the Bot can plug himself in, without any power interuptions. For Servo control I decided not to used the servo ports on the Serializer and instead used a SSC-32.