PDA

View Full Version : Robone? Knockoff B.S.

tom_chang79
05-28-2009, 02:51 AM
What the heck is this?

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/8536655998821754.JPG?0.9154501674476686

I've googled this thing and it seems like I keep getting indications that this is a cheap knockoff of the Robosapien.

Aside from a few minor color scheme difference, the remote and the "top hat" is the same...

The digits (fingers) are even the same! Holy crap, this is just blatant.

What's funny is, every comment that I came across for this bot keeps saying that "China copied our Robosapien," which makes me *sigh* since Robosapien is also from China...

Wouldn't doubt it if this company just bought a Robosapien and just cloned it, wouldn't surprise me even more if someone at the Robosapien manufacturing facility just picked up a single piece of every part and just walked over to the next factory with it.

I think this sort of thing is blatant and I remember even seeing these cheap knockoffs at Fry's. I think the shadiest thing about it is, the distributors who carry these either doesn't know or doesn't care that it's a clone.

This sort of thing isn't new. I remember as a child, I would sometimes see guys with cameras slung over their neck at toy stores such as "Toy's R Us." I remember asking one of these guys "Hey Mr. What are you doing?" He replied to me "Hey kid, just taking pictures of toys, I get paid per picture."

Didn't really realize what was happening until I was older. This kinda reminds me of what used to happen at my last job. A foreign customer would order one of our products, take it apart, copy it (didn't understand the engineering behind, it was blatant since the mistakes we made in our designs ended up being transferred to the knockoff), and sometimes, just sometimes, these customers would have the audacity to try to refund the unit back and try to get their money back even though the "void if removed" security stickers were clearly violated!

I think LM had similar problems as well. There were some really blatant cloning going on with their brackets, made out of cheaper and flimsier material, that showed up in the Phillipines...

:sad:

nagmier
05-28-2009, 08:19 AM
I have a V1 Robosapien and I'm hard pressed to find a reason to clone it, They are complete junk in my opinion, I was VERY sadly disappointed with it when I got it... thankfully I didn't pay the $200 price tage when they were new I paid $75 for mine on sale a couple years back. Either way its a shame they do this and there was a great special on Nat Geo or one of the Disc channels about the "Global Underground" China's local government officials get bribed because the profit margin is sooo high on these knockoffs, one of the statistics they threw out (don't know how accurate it is) was that over 1 Million Chinese are involved in "illicit trade" it Employees so many people and brings in so much much that basically the government ignores it... THAT is where the problem is

Adrenalynn
05-28-2009, 01:20 PM
There's also a very good chance that the exclusivity ran out and that it's built on the same line by the same people with the same parts and the same methodology and technique. AND that's it's 110% legal and legit.

Frequently design and manufacturing actually happen in China on contract. You hire several of their firms to do the design, prototyping, testing, certification, manufacturing, delivery, etc. You can't afford the incredible price tag that goes into that process, so you pay for some period of exclusivity. Once that period is up, they are free to compete with you - they continue to brand and deliver your product, but also "unbrand" and deliver their own identical product. In this instance, both products are identical, they're just making-up the money on the backend that you didn't pay them on the front-end.

I've frequently been in a position to negotiate and sign contracts exactly like this with China, Taiwan, Nepal, and Korea.

Moral to this story: We don't know the whole story, so let's have this conversation with a little less libel attached, at least until we see the C&D appear over on Chilling Effects.

tom_chang79
05-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Well said. You're right, I don't know the whole story. Just wanted to share with you on some of the shady stuff going on at Toy's R Us when I was a kid. :p

On a side note, the Robosapien WAS my first "biped" robot years ago. I was so amazed and freaked out when I saw the thing walk for the first time! Even though it was a waddle, I knew that from then on, walking bots would be a common place in the future!

Look at what we have now, I bet there is an army if we enlisted everyone who is on this forum's bots!

:eek:

Million-bot march anyone? Hehehe :D Million-bot march for a pro-nuclear power so that the bots can keep on charging their batteries at a reasonable cost...

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to the Edison bill this summer... :robotindifferent:

Grand Robot Master
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
that would be cool, borderline artistic. (the forum robot army thing)
i'd take part if i had any completed projects and on the off chance that this thought would even become reality...

...but how do you even pronounce the name of this potential rip-off? Row-bone? ive seen it before and noticed the hands and just sat puzzled for a bit.