PDA

View Full Version : Headplay Personal Cinema headsets available for use at Mech Warfare!

DresnerRobotics
06-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Headplay (http://www.headplay.com) was nice enough to donate two of their Headplay Personal Cinema units for use in Mech Warfare! We've reviewed a few different brands of these type of display units, and these are by far the nicest we've encountered. We'll have two headsets available for use at Mech Warfare for this and coming years, they plug into VGA, S-Video or composite... so if you're using a laptop to pilot from you have the option of simply plugging these in and using them instead of a monitor =)

These things are awesome for immersion, basically brings a screen right up in front of your eyes and they're fairly compact little units. You basically put on a visor that has goggles mounted on the lid, and projects a virtual big screen!

nagmier
06-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Awesome! That sure helps the "Mech War" Theme Should be fun for you guys!

darkback2
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey,

If your going to be at robogames...be sure to check these out...I have a pair of I-glasses...much older, and lower resolution than these. They are great for gaming and such. They won't replace your monitor for every day work though. My wife likes them because I can play Xbox without bothering her when she wants to do something else.

DB

Adrenalynn
06-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Are either of youse guyses units the 3D units, or just 2D?

If they're the 3D, I'd like to try feeding them 3D input from two field cameras correctly spaced on the playing field. Then a spectator could watch the action in 3D. Just an interesting "first" for the event if ya get my meaning. :)

DresnerRobotics
06-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty sure they can do 3D (I know the menu appears in 3D) but I'm not sure how that feed works...

Sigma X
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I own a pair of theese glasses and was planning to use them in my set up of cource mine are of a different brand E-vex (or somthing like that) they are about $35 - $45 range they are awsome to use i'd recomend anyone to try this set up heck i'm using them on my comp now

Adrenalynn
06-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Biiiiiig difference between them. Resolution, refresh, etc. Not all are created equal.

darkback2
06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Mine have a 3D setting , but again the cable is crapped out.

As for the cheaper ones. I have found that they don't focus as well, especially for people with glasses or contacts.

Adrenalynn
06-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah, alas, the need a field or frame synchronizer. I don't have time to design and get a board built-up before robogames.

Bring 'em along and I'll repair 'em for you, DB. :)

sthmck
06-02-2009, 07:40 AM
If you had two cameras on your mech could you use the display to see the view from your mech in 3-D? That is if they were lined up in the right spot.

darkback2
06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks adren

The cable seams shorted really close to the plug though. I just emailed them about getting a replacement cord... so I'll go for both options!

Db

darkback2
06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Crappy news,

They no longer stock the cable for the glasses that I have.

Oh well...hopefully Adren can patch them up.

DB

Adrenalynn
06-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Send me a photo of the section that's messed-up so I have the right bits?

Sthmck - that's kinda what we were talking about... It would require frame/field synchronization due to the way the glasses work. Every alternate scanline has to be sent to left or right eye.