PDA

View Full Version : Another person with Roboard questions

noob
06-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I've been looking over the Roboard, and I think it may be the product I'm looking for. I want to make an ultramobile UAV, so mostly I'm looking at controlling up to four brushless DC motors, as well as reading in data from an accelerometer.

I havn't been able to tell from reading the Roboard's documentation; can you connect servos and motors directly to the board and control them, or do you have to also have servo / motor controllers? If you can hook them directly up, do they draw their power from the board, or do you have to wire them to power seperately? And since the board seems to apply the same voltage to everything, would I need to get motors and servos that can operate on the same voltage safely?

Sorry of the questions are elementary, I just couldn't find the answers anywhere else.

Thanks!

nagmier
06-10-2009, 12:12 AM
While the roboard may very well be the right answer for you (I can't tell you that, as I've never used one, sorry).

But since you are looking into the UAV scene I thought I'd toss out http://www.diydrones.com

lnxfergy
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I've been looking over the Roboard, and I think it may be the product I'm looking for. I want to make an ultramobile UAV, so mostly I'm looking at controlling up to four brushless DC motors, as well as reading in data from an accelerometer.

I havn't been able to tell from reading the Roboard's documentation; can you connect servos and motors directly to the board and control them, or do you have to also have servo / motor controllers? If you can hook them directly up, do they draw their power from the board, or do you have to wire them to power seperately? And since the board seems to apply the same voltage to everything, would I need to get motors and servos that can operate on the same voltage safely?

You can control servos directly. To control motors, you'll have to interface an external motor controller (probably one that takes servo pulses? you'll probably have to get an RC motor controller, your choices might be limited based on the need for brushless). The V+ line for each servo does draw power from the board, but will be fed whatever voltage you feed to the roboard.

One recommendation I would make, is to use digital servos which can hold their position after being given a single pulse (you don't have to update the pulse train continuously, which is a little bit of a pain to do with the Roboard API).

Edit to add: although really, in a UAV, realtime is fairly important.... I'd think a microcontroller, even a higher end ARM, would be a better solution....

-fergs

noob2
07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi, I've been wanting to use Roboard as a servo controller too of 3 independent servos. Now that I know I could control servos directly using Roboard, I need to start programming the interface. Can anyone tell me what libraries I should use, and how to compile the codes for Roboard to run? It'll be great if any of you can share some sample codes on servo control with me too. Thanks.