PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] AVR programmer

sthmck
06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Im not sure if this should go in hardware or software, but oh well.
I was wondering if the USBtinyISP 2.0 is a good AVR programmer to get. I have just been using arduinos up till this point, but I would like to start using the AVR by itself. I am not totally sure about everything so any advice would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Seth

ryantm
06-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Hello Seth,

I am not familiar with the USBtinyISP 2.0 so I can't give you recommendations on it.

I personally use the AVR USB programmer (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1300) made by Pololu. I'm biased, because I work at Pololu, but you should look to see if it is a good option for you.

- Ryan

jes1510
06-16-2009, 12:37 AM
I have the USBTinyISP. It works out of the box with the later versions of AVRDude and the Arduino IDE. It's been working great for me.

lnxfergy
06-16-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Pololu one. (I have 3 of them... since they are just USB->serial devices as opposed to crazy USB devices like the official AVRISPV2, they rock, especially under linux)

-Fergs

sthmck
06-16-2009, 12:56 AM
I do like the look of that one better. Plus it doesn't cost as much. I think I will go with the pololu one.

Adrenalynn
06-16-2009, 01:00 AM
I have the STK500, and it's great because it will program, prototype, and debug ANY AVR device. It's also pure RS232 serial which I think is beautiful.

The downside is that it's so crazy complex that I need a manual in one hand and jumpers in the other, and an hour to set it up every time I use it...

lnxfergy
06-16-2009, 01:03 AM
I have the STK500, and it's great because it will program, prototype, and debug ANY AVR device. It's also pure RS232 serial which I think is beautiful.

The downside is that it's so crazy complex that I need a manual in one hand and jumpers in the other, and an hour to set it up every time I use it...

I have one too... but the only time I ever pull out the STK500 is when I brick an AVR by setting the clock source wrong... if you're careful with the fuse bits, or don't mind tossing a $3 chip from time to time... you can easily get by without an STK500. Especially if you are still mainly using pre-designed AVR boards...

-Fergs