PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned - Bots

MSpurk
06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
For those who were able to attend do you mind sharing with us any lessons learned to help the rest of us out for next year.

Some specific questions I had were:
How did MechDAR work?
Did anyone have an automated targeting system? Is it worth it to try and make one?
Were there any hardcore bots?
Were there any issues trying to locate the other bots?
How many rounds were bots carrying?
How did those little automated tank guns work?
For those that relied on a laser to assist targeting, was that sufficient to identify where the rounds were going?
Did anyone not use a laser? Could they tell where they were shooting?
Are there any tips for mounting the target plate to allow hits, but avoid incidental walking impacts?
Did any of the bipeds get into the arena? I've only seen the quads in the videos.

Thanks and nice work to all who showed. It definitely looked awesome.
-Matt-
Cutting-Edge Robotics

lnxfergy
06-28-2009, 01:06 PM
For those who were able to attend do you mind sharing with us any lessons learned to help the rest of us out for next year.

Some specific questions I had were:
How did MechDAR work?
Did anyone have an automated targeting system? Is it worth it to try and make one?
Were there any hardcore bots?
Were there any issues trying to locate the other bots?
How many rounds were bots carrying?
How did those little automated tank guns work?
For those that relied on a laser to assist targeting, was that sufficient to identify where the rounds were going?
Did anyone not use a laser? Could they tell where they were shooting?
Are there any tips for mounting the target plate to allow hits, but avoid incidental walking impacts?
Did any of the bipeds get into the arena? I've only seen the quads in the videos.

Thanks and nice work to all who showed. It definitely looked awesome.
-Matt-
Cutting-Edge Robotics

I suggest taking a look at the Competitor Recap thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3341&highlight=competitor+recap

But:
1. MechDAR: was not operational on any bots... frankly, just getting a bot running around was enough of a challenge for competitors.
2. Automated targeting... no. Che did have a click on the screen to target, thats the closest. Lighting at RG is not optimal, nor were target plates a consistent color -- I think you'd be hardpressed to get a decent auto-targeting system built onto a bot that can still walk....
3. Hardcore bots included both of Che's: Charlie tried to blow Squidword's legs off... he failed. There should be a video at some point showing up here... get on that intern!
4. The arena was fairly open, if you had decent mobility, finding the other mech wasn't too hard.
5. The amount of rounds carried varied wildly.. I only had about 75 on Issy, that was too few for my crappy targeting system...
6. You won't see the rounds with the camera... you might not even see the lazer. Accuracy of guns/targeting is an issue that needs to be addressed by some of us... others took the road of having a rediculous fire rate.
7. We're going to be working on updates to the scoring system, possibly including new scoring plate design that is force based, rather than vibration... Look for some updates later this summer.
8. Not really. CLYDE blew himself up Saturday, and wasn't back together until about 6PM sunday. There is a short clip of Shadow Scout in the arena, but he was unable to walk...

-Fergs

MSpurk
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
I suggest taking a look at the Competitor Recap thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...mpetitor+recap (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3341&highlight=competitor+recap)

Yeah, I read through it. Most of the comments were directed towards how to improve the event. I was specifically looking at what can be done to improve the bots themselves.

As the Champ, what worked well on your bot, and what are you going to change/upgrade for next time?

-Matt-

lnxfergy
06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I read through it. Most of the comments were directed towards how to improve the event. I was specifically looking at what can be done to improve the bots themselves.

As the Champ, what worked well on your bot, and what are you going to change/upgrade for next time?

-Matt-

Well, I think we did a pretty good job describing what did/didn't work on the mechs in that thread as well (specifically posts 1,2, & 3). The second half of each of those posts describes lessons learned on the mech in question (issy, bheka, clyde). I'm going into slightly more detail in my Issy tutorial: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/build-articles-130/build-your-own-issydunnyet-3257/ but really, there isn't much more to say than:

focus on getting a good, stable walking gait
fine control for targeting is a must
your control system should be fault tolerant, and ready to handle crappy RF interference. XBEE radios worked well.
The trendnet seems to be the clear winner for cameras. Look for possible information on a directional antenna design in coming months.
Guns should be kept light. If you can't carry them, they won't do you any good.

-Fergs