PDA

View Full Version : Roboquad as a mech?

jonbowen234
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I have been looking at he roboquad thinking it would make a quick and dirty mod into a working mech. I can find them for about $25 on ebay. My idea is to use the head motion to swivel a gun and a camera if the motors are strong enough ( not sure of that yet) If not a simple pan tilt on the base should work.

The robot does most of the functions I need automatically so all I have to do is produce the IR signals to operate the robot and the unit does it for me. Has fine tuned head movements for aiming. Seems like it could work great for cheap but..... It is also not designed to do any of these things and I would be stressing the motors and even the movement method so not sure if I want to waiste the money on something that will not do what I need.

Does anyone have any experience with this guy?

Amazon.com: WowWee Robotics Roboquad: Electronics

Johnny B

ROBOTMAN
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
How heavy will your gun be? The head should hold a camera fine but the weight of the gun might be to much. If you don't put the gun on the head it should hold up fine.

lnxfergy
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I have been looking at he roboquad thinking it would make a quick and dirty mod into a working mech. I can find them for about $25 on ebay. My idea is to use the head motion to swivel a gun and a camera if the motors are strong enough ( not sure of that yet) If not a simple pan tilt on the base should work.

The robot does most of the functions I need automatically so all I have to do is produce the IR signals to operate the robot and the unit does it for me. Has fine tuned head movements for aiming. Seems like it could work great for cheap but..... It is also not designed to do any of these things and I would be stressing the motors and even the movement method so not sure if I want to waiste the money on something that will not do what I need.

Does anyone have any experience with this guy?

Amazon.com: WowWee Robotics Roboquad: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Sourcing-Network-Sales-8039-Robotics/dp/B000OF50M4/ref=sr_1_2/189-2042823-9275122?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246924576&sr=8-2)

Johnny B

Jes has used a robosapien to build a mech, but basically replaced the electronics. The problem you'll have with IR for control is that it will only be line of site... I'd also be a bit concerned on whether the roboquad's shuffle gait would be able to work with a bunch of extra payload.

-Fergs

ROBOTMAN
07-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Seems like they only problem with its gait would be smaller steps the heavier it gets. I wouldn't expect it to work on carpet or rough train. Inxfergy is right most people take out the original control systems and replace them this would be the more expensive but wiser choice.

lnxfergy
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Seems like they only problem with its gait would be smaller steps the heavier it gets. I wouldn't expect it to work on carpet or rough train.

The gait depends on mega-slippage, as it has no lift-servo.. if you weigh the bot down, you may have no slippage, hence, you won't move in any predictable manner....

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
07-06-2009, 07:58 PM
And you also have heating as you strain the motor - which, of course, causes failure.

>> most people take out the original control systems

"Most people" being defined as none of the competitors that have ever competed in Mech Warfare.

------------

Hi Johnny B! Welcome to the TRC!

You could certainly give that platform a try - but I suspect it'd be wasted money. The biggest lesson learned this last year, I believe, was torque-to-weight and just how little even the best of the platforms can take.

But robotics is really about experimentation - so experiment (and post your results!) away!

ROBOTMAN
07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Most people meant people who hack WoWee robots. Adrenalynn is right your motors would probably fail eventually.

jes1510
07-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a roboquad and am not that impressed with the possibility if it becoming a mech. The payload required would cause major troubles I think. You can also expect huge problems with the concept of using IR due to line of sight issues and ambient noise. The head doesn't have good enough control to aim a gun so you would need to ditch that and add a real turret.

With that said, I think the roboquad uses the same control algorithms as the robosapien and I have a functioning control scheme working on an Arduino over XBEE. I'd be happy to share the code and give tips if you need but I really think you will be disappointed in it's performance. I still plan on having the Robosapien in the 2010 event (along with a quad).

societyofrobots
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
ROBOTMAN (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/member.php?u=2643) is using a pic of my robot as his avatar . . . I'm both flattered and ready to use my Mech to enforce copyright! :veryhappy:

DresnerRobotics
07-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Sorta just thought of something, and don't mean to be a downer...

But isn't the Roboquad technically cam driven?

jonbowen234
07-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Ok maybe I should be more clear on some points.

First IR was just the interface I was going to use to talk to the bot with another controller that would have wireless (probably xbee).

Second I have thought about the weight issue and was thinking of experimenting with bigger motors attached to the legs. Not sure how hard that is right now but my thinking is the gait should work with stronger motors. I might have to change the tips to something that slips more under heavier weight but thats all experimentation.

Also I was thinking it would work better to have a pan tilt on the body holding the guns and aiming system. Then the head only needs to hold a camera.

This may turn out to be a bad idea but I was hoping to get a working mech for cheaper :)

ScuD
07-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I bought a wrecked motorcycle "so I could have a nice one on the cheap".

A year later it was finished, but overall costs were higher than getting me a brand new one, with stock warranty.

Lessons learned:
1)you can't outcheap. Bite the bullet. There's always something unexpected lurking (*)
2) It's one hell of a fun way to learn a lot of things you never would have otherwise. I know my bike inside and out three times over.
3) which is where the (*) comes in: don't expect a wrecked bikes' engine block to be ok on the inside just because it runs.. It'll cost you...

Point is; if you're doing this to learn in a fun way, knock yourself out!
However if you're trying to cut down on costs, be prepared to end up more expensive than expected.

lnxfergy
07-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Sorta just thought of something, and don't mean to be a downer...

But isn't the Roboquad technically cam driven?

It does appear to have a separate motor on each leg.

http://www.evosapien.com/robosapien-hack/nocturnal2/files/images/IMG_5900.preview.JPG