Hello ,
i m confused which mcu to buy .can anyone tell me which mcu to buy

i like axon mcu or roboduiono is aloso kewl
please tell which controller to chose

darkback2
07-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Ok...how about both.

Probably not that helpful huh...

How about you tell us more about what you want to do, and what you already know how to do...What language do you know? or what language are you interested in learning. The more information you give people, the more helpful they can be.

DB

gaurav.p
07-18-2009, 01:58 AM
thnx fr the early reply
well i need a versatile UC which is capable of dng many tasks and cann be used for most of the autonomous or rc operations and i know about basic programming algo like line follow,object avoid or follow,edge follower,victim finder (using colour sensor),and etc .i m very known to java programming learning lang uage and i m now learning c and c++ and it is very easy to lern coz i m known to the functions of it in java.so i need a uc controlled by c/c++ coz it is the most used platform in robotics and i hav also heard about phidgets and parallex and stamp.please tell which is the better of them .thus this is the info which u needed and if u need more info please inform.
thnx
-gaurav

jes1510
07-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Look at the arduino family of microcontrollers. They are based on the Atmel series and have everything you need to get started integrated in the board. They are programmed in C using a series of libraries for the controller that makes stepping into the microcontroller world pretty easy if you already have some C experience.

darkback2
07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you for giving us more information.

From what I have heard, I have no experience with this one, the arduino chips are a great starting place. Personally I find I have an easier time staying interested in learning something if I have a project or goal in mind. Are you planning to build anything, or is there a particular project you are interested in doing? If so start a project thread about it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

DB

gaurav.p
07-18-2009, 09:22 PM
well i wanna give more info that i m also interested in learning vb(visual basic) and the UC should hav a resonater or speaker or can be connected to it .so my question is, is arduino chips compatible with VB and hav a speaker in it ,well my goal of the bot is making a teacher bot which will hav hands and can conduct many reactions and use voice to to tell about it OR my other project with the board will be bulding my own pet robot(there is a craze of making it ,that's why i wanna also try it out!)i also saw arduino chips are cheap ........so i may also opt for it .
thnx
-gaurav

Adrenalynn
07-18-2009, 09:39 PM
You don't write VB on microcontrollers.

You can put a speaker on an arduino or many other microcontrollers. You'd need to build an audio amp to talk the speaker though. And really you're not going to do much with it.

What it sounds like you're really looking for isn't a microcontroller, but something more like a quadcore PC.

gaurav.p
07-19-2009, 05:36 AM
i hav seen many projects being prorrammmed by visual basic ,so please can anyone tell me a UC which can be programmed by vb and progrmming by it is more interactive and easy (i guess).please tell and i don't need a quadcore pc :p

darkback2
07-19-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm wondering if the projects you have seen use VB to speak to a micro controller, or use VB natively on the micro controller...The difference being that the micro controller wouldn't actually be programmed using VB. I for example use an SSC-32 to control my robots. Heck...I don't know what language the SSC-32 uses...I talk to the SSC-32 from a computer.

I'm not really sure this helps out at all.

As for making a robotic teacher...Sounds like a really challenging project. I think Adren's concern is that your going to want the teacher to be able to generate unique answers to questions...which would require some sort of text to speech/Artificial Intelligence software, which would probably not fit on an arduino.

DB

lnxfergy
07-19-2009, 10:03 AM
i hav seen many projects being prorrammmed by visual basic ,so please can anyone tell me a UC which can be programmed by vb and progrmming by it is more interactive and easy (i guess).please tell and i don't need a quadcore pc :p

There are microcontrollers out there that can be programmed in derivatives of the Basic language, but it's not exactly VB. These include: Basic Stamp, Basic Atom, PicAxe to name a few. I'd avoid the Basic Stamp as it doesn't have most features you'd like to see in a uC. Most of these have a GUI code editor environment, but again, it's not VB, it's a special version of Basic for each of them. The arduino on the other hand, is programmed in C -- but it does have a nice little GUI code editor.

However, if you want to generate speech, you are not gonna get very far with just a uC. There are modules out there (speakjet, devantech SP-03) that take serial data and create the spoken voice. They average about $75-100 each (the devantech is all inclusive, although the speaker is a little small/quiet. The speakjet will require seperate amp/speaker). These modules do sound very robotic and typically leave a lot to desire.

If you're trying to get speech recognition (have the robot listen to what you say), you almost certainly will need a PC. There are/were a few modules out there that could be set up do very basic recognition (although they weren't very accurate, and you had a very small vocabulary), I'm not sure anyone still makes such a chip. Again, you'd probably be looking at another $50+ for a recognition chip, if you can get it.

-Fergs

PS. DB, the SSC-32 just takes a serial stream, any language/computer that can open a serial port can talk to the SSC-32.

darkback2
07-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the clear up Fergs.

Adrenalynn
07-19-2009, 10:37 AM
The Platform API can be programmed in Visual Basic, actually. If you come up with a few million dollars you can license it and embedded microsoft windows for whatever compatible board you have built. That seems somewhat excessive just to use a crummy underpowered language on an overblown operating system though.

Visual Basic runs on Microsoft Windows, as well as on Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Windows. And sometimes you can get it to run on Microsoft Windows... ;)

gaurav.p
07-19-2009, 11:11 PM
i now realised that i m crazy :owell i just wanted a environment to progrm the uc easily and thnk you fr solving my misconception .i saw the specification of arduino chips and they r also cheaper than other boards and r also versatile........i hope to buy it.if anybody has diff suggestions please tell me

well the project in my mind of the robot teacher is very primitive,the robot will jus hav recording or explainations which it would jus play when dng the diif reactions and later i would make modifications slowly like image proceesing and chosing between diff chemicals:veryhappy:.it a very ambitious project:rolleyes::wink:

Adrenalynn
07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
An ambitious project that won't happen on an Arduino.

gaurav.p
07-20-2009, 03:30 AM
if arduino won't then will axon do the thing or shouldi use something else like ssc-32

Adrenalynn
07-20-2009, 04:10 AM
The SSC32 isn't a general purpose MCU - it's a servo controller. The MCU on it is the same as that of the Arduino.

How are you planning to play the digitized speech with the Arduino or Axon? What hardware is going to generate it?

How are you planning to acquire video on the Arduino or Axon? What are you plugging the camera in to? What hardware is going to digitize the video?

gaurav.p
07-21-2009, 03:45 AM
if i can connect the spaeker with the uart port ,it will be gr8 .other wise i will put a audio amplifier to it .the amplifier will generate beeps or tunes ,play with morse code .a simple audio amplifier that will amplify various audio inputs. This amp will amplify an output pin from a microcontroller to provide beeps, sound effects, or tunes. In this configuration, it has the maximum gain of 20.for the video if i don't need image processing,then first i will be using a black hawk camera used in the tutorial to build a micro spy car.**will the signals affect the functioning of the bot and sensors??**as the project progresses i will learn roborealm and then i will experiment with the image proceessing .i will plug the cam into a uart port if i do image processing,the camera which i prefer is black fin camera.

any recomendations .please tell.
-gaurav

Adrenalynn
07-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Define "playing tunes" - you mean single beeps of different tones, or like mp3 kinda "tunes"?

Maximum gain of 20 what? Feet? Kilometers? Parsecs? No, you can't hook a speaker up to a uart.

What camera are you going to plug into a uart? Not that spy camera certainly - NTSC is not serial...

Roborealm runs on a PC, not a uC.

darkback2
07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Gaurav.P

I think the problem that you are going to run into is the simple fact that the project you are trying to do...the goal...is way to big given the equipment you are trying to use to do it.

Video, Speech, Voice recognition...are all really processor intensive tasks. That is the part that everyone is getting hung up on...

I'm recommending that you consider making this a PC based robot. This does not mean that the PC has to drive around on the robot, but more that you can use a PC to control the robot through an umbilicus...or wires.

Trust me when I tell you this will make your project much more likely to succeed.

Hope this helps.

DB

gaurav.p
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
the amp used like a buzzer to just produce beeps (using morse code).the gain in 20 was a error in the website from where i took the amp circuit diagram(www.inklesspress.com)sorry that i was too lame to recheck it .ya i agree to drawback but using a buzzer would be easy for me.it's sad that i can't use the black hawk camera.the camera which i will plug into the uart will be Surveyor SRV-1 Blackfin Camera(http://www.surveyor.com/blackfin/).i know that roborealm runs on pc:cool:.

-gaurav
PS-drawback is right using image processing and first learning it will be another big task.so i guess i will be keeping this project in the future(not sure wat to do ,drop it or face it)help me ,please

gaurav.p
07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
please the link is a mistake it is http://www.inklesspress.com/cool_circuits.htm and not inklesspress)sorry