PDA

View Full Version : programming

gaurav.p
07-22-2009, 06:07 AM
well how can two robots communicate with eachother(is it i2c) and how can one tell a robot the final destination to reach using a computer ?????????please tell

Noodle
07-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Two robots can communicate over various methods. Some are better than others for various reasons, but to supply the best answer, we need the most information from you. What are the robots? How much data are they sending? How often are the sending data? How far away are they? How long do you want the robots to last on a charge (assuming that they are mobile bots).

There is a great deal of difference between two bots which communicate in a small room via bluetooth and two robots on either side of the world communicating 3G wifi.

ScuD
07-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Need more input!!

DresnerRobotics
07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
This is a pretty broad question, which leaves it pretty hard to give a useful answer on. It's akin to asking: "How do I make my robot move?"

Many different factors and methods of going about it, much of which will depend upon what type of hardware these robots consist of. I would highly recommend hammering down the major details of your project first, and once you have a robot in hand (or at least in mind), approach the question of communication between multiple robots and/or PCs again.

That said, I recommend you look into Zigbee/Xbee technology a bit. We have a nice selection here on our store, and there is a ton of information on the net about it.

gaurav.p
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
http://www.techfest.org/initiatives/nexus/commquest/
http://www.techfest.org/competitions/antz/
these r the links of the competition and u can find the problem statement thr .if u can help,please tell.
will i be able to compete in it????

DresnerRobotics
07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
will i be able to compete in it????

Only you can answer this question.

gaurav.p
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
i know that but is making that robot is too difficult for me for a person who has moderate experince .i was just asking about the difficulty level.

Adrenalynn
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Competing? Trivially easy for someone with moderate experience. With moderate experience, you already have a plan for how you'd go about it.

Winning's a different story. It always is.

ScuD
07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
You're too much like me.

Set a goal you want to accomplish with one project at a time. Go from there.

If you run from this project to that one, you'll never get anything done. Check any of my posts here for proof. :D

gaurav.p
07-23-2009, 04:50 AM
thnx for the encouragement .i m now determine dto first study the communication of the robots in playing soccer . i will be programing using i2c .any help regarding i2c (please tell),how can it be implemented in a robot ?

MikeG
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
@gaurav.p
I'm going to be very blunt. You need to study and learn.

If you want to know about i2c then go get yourself a book or do an internet search for the information. Once you have a good understanding of i2C then you'll be able to come up with a plan.

lnxfergy
07-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Gaurav,

Before studying the communication between robots, have you built a robot yet? I think people generally under-estimate how easy it is to program a microcontroller to be a robot. There's a bunch of skills involved, from electronics to mechanics to programming. I'd seriously suggest taking a step back and starting with the basics (I'm assuming you haven't built a robot here, correct me if I'm wrong....):

You had a thread about Arduino/Axon.. I'd suggest getting your arduino, and then starting with the basics: learn C, blink an LED, then send information back over serial to your computer, hook up motor drivers (this will require a bit of electronics learning), drive your bot around. Then add sensory, etc.
Pick a good goal to work on once you've learned the basics: line following or maze solving are popular starting projects.
Then pick a bigger competition like the one you linked to, and go for it.

There's a bunch of resources here on the Trossen site. In particular I'm going to link you to a tutorial I made here: So You Want To Build A Robot? (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/introduction-129/so-you-want-to-build-a-robot-3126/)

-Fergs