PDA

View Full Version : Mech weapons?

praelian
07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
I've been looking at images/video of the 2009 games and it seems that everyone is using an airsoft defender (chopped). The defender seems to be extremely bulky. Is this still the weapon of choice? Anybody looking into any other airsoft platforms to mod?

Thanks in advance!

darkback2
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM
so far we have seen two different guns, the defender guns...big, bulky, but spray like nobodies business, and the tank guns that are slow...1-2 rounds a second, but much lighter.

can't say which method is better...squidword is a tank, so having a larger gun that sprays all over the place is fine...not very accurate, but fine. Issy for example uses the tank guns, much lighter bot...also much more effective...so its really up to you.

There was talk about scratch build airsoft guns, but that hasn't gone too far...also...it brings up a lot of problems in terms of safety.

Hope this helps.

DB

lnxfergy
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
DB hit the nail right on the head, the main problem with the defenders is weight, the main problem with tank guns is fire rate. Based on the level of hackery that people put into lightening up their defenders, I'm doubting you can take much more weight off of them. The defenders are clearly for quads that can handle lots of extra payload, and probably only the strongest of bipeds.

I'd be interesting to see how well tank guns hold up on higher voltages (and thus higher speeds), I think most of us ran them at a conservative 5-8V to avoid burning them up since most mechs were finished so close to the competition. I'd imagine the wussy little motors would burn up pretty quick at higher speeds, but they are just standard sized, I'm thinking some of the 12V motor versions that guys are using for the RepRap project might be a good speed increase (if I recall correctly, Solarbotics was selling the 12V motor cans to hopup thier GM8/9 style motors).

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
07-29-2009, 04:13 AM
The motors in the tank guns are actually a 12v motor anyway. Same as the 12v 18k RPM Radioshack motors. So if you burn one up, just pull the pinion and slap one of the radio shack motors in there for a couple dollars.

MSK Mech Commander
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
so far we have seen two different guns, the defender guns...big, bulky, but spray like nobodies business, and the tank guns that are slow...1-2 rounds a second, but much lighter.
DB
It doesn't seem like the tank guns fire rate is a problem though. The target plates only register one point per second, right? Besides, if you're unhappy with the fire rate you could make your guns alternate fire if you had 2 or more.

Another thing, I saw that one tank gun was 250g while some of the others were 500g. Does that mean that the 250g gun has less ammo carrying capability than the other heavier tank guns?

DresnerRobotics
08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
The weights on the site are totally incorrect. I think the average tank gun weighs about 80g.

gdubb2
08-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I used 2 tank guns on Bheka. The turret sans servos, weighed 268g. That was 2 guns with custom aluminum barrels, 1 laser pointer, aluminum gun mounting bracket, and the bracket to mount to the tilt servo.

Gary

Edit to add, I ran them at 9 Vdc.

MSK Mech Commander
08-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes! I can choose my favorite gun without having to worry about weight or ammo carrying issues!:D

MSK Mech Commander
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
The weights on the site are totally incorrect. I think the average tank gun weighs about 80g.

You're absolutely sure the guns from Toyeast are 80g, right?

Adrenalynn
08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Notice the "About". The weight varies at least +/- 4g

MSK Mech Commander
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Alright, thanks.:)

gdubb2
08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
With my precisiion Walmart digital food scale sitting on the Delux platform (Ironing Board), I weighed the Mato Toys tank guns, with aluminum barrels. 84grams.

The internals of a Defender, also 84 grams. assembled gun with the same mechanism as a Defender, with as much fluff removed as possible. 142 grams.

Gary

edit to add:These are from Matotoys, but they are the same as the Toys East ones. Made by Henglong I believe.

gdubb2
08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/gun_compare.jpg

DresnerRobotics
08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Whoa whoa whoa.

What have you done with the Defender??? HOLY CRAP!

gdubb2
08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
It was really easy Tyb.. I just threw it at my band saw and told it to remove everything that didn't need to be there.

Gary

nagmier
08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
SCORE!!! Excellent shot! +rep!

What size tube was used?

gdubb2
08-07-2009, 08:22 PM
The barrels on the tank guns were made from .5" round stock turned down, and bored to size with a size "C" drill. The others are the barrels that came with the guns. I can use the tank gun barrels on the Defender with about 5 min. of lathe time.
Gary