PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Graphite

Quantum
07-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Anyone mold thier own stuff from scratch.

Tips, comments, or thoughts.

This is the next project for a biped and would like feedback. It'll help in cutting costs from screw-ups.
Youtube and the internet is only so helpful.

Thanks
Paul

darkback2
08-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I made a carbon fiber crocodile in a class once...its wicked cool stuff...the stuff I worked with was prepreg...you needed an oven with vacuum hoses in it in order to get it to cure properly. Maybe the non prepreg stuff is easier to work with. Also, the resons can be really nasty if they get on your skin so be careful.

DB

DC Robotic
08-01-2009, 12:25 AM
I have done a lot of fiberglass and some carbon. (not prepreg). I would suggest using epoxy to wet the fibers. I like West Systems, you can get fast and slow hardener to mix with the resin. I'd suggest getting a system with pumps that measure the ratio of hardener-resin, makes things much easier and you can mix accurate batches in the size needed. Other than accurate mixing, one of the most important keys to success is to have the proper amount of epoxy in the glass or carbon. If there is to much epoxy the final product will be more brittle than it should be. West systems has some really excellent instructional materials. Some TAP plastics stores carry a selection of fiberglass and carbon fiber. Remember also that fiber orientation is extremely important to strength.