PDA

View Full Version : Humanoids for Hobbyists Facebook group

Pi Guy
08-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I recently started a Facebook group for all those who are interested in humanoids on the hobbyist level. Check it out: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105154078262

Adrenalynn
08-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Or better yet - participate on http://forums.trossenrobotics.com ! Welcome to the forum!

Pi Guy
08-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I've been here a couple times, and yes I agree this is a very nice robotics environment. It is just my intention to make information on humanoids more available to all people. I do have a link to the contest you hold here, and I might post a link to the forums as well, but my current intention is to be open minded to those who are interested in humanoids but exist in other groups on the web as well.

Adrenalynn
08-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Just for the sake of discussion - who is excluded from the site here? "more available to all people" would suggest that somehow TR has managed to exclude someone? I know I don't want it to feel that way - or fix something if it has. Last thing we all want is to be "exclusive"! Again, though, welcome to the forum!

Pi Guy
08-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Exclude someone? Hardly! What I am referring to is the fact that there are many other robotics forums and websites out there other than Trossen Robotics. One example would be the Parallax community. There are people I know on those forums that are humanoid enthusiasts that aren't part of the TRC. By having a group on Facebook I hope to find humanoid enthusiasts that visit Facebook and give them a portal through which they can find other websites and robotics communities such as Trossen Robotics, as well as allow discussions to go on there for those who would rather talk about humanoids on Facebook than a forum.

DresnerRobotics
08-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I think the point here is that Facebook has a much wider general audience, and would be able to reach people who would otherwise not know they were out there, etc. No harm done =)

Pi Guy
08-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks Tyberius, you just made explaining a whole lot easier.

nbdeveloper
08-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Just for the sake of discussion - who is excluded from the site here? "more available to all people" would suggest that somehow TR has managed to exclude someone? I know I don't want it to feel that way - or fix something if it has. Last thing we all want is to be "exclusive"! Again, though, welcome to the forum!

I've noticed you do this before, the whole "Just for the sake of discussion" thing. I'm all sorts of gung-ho for Trossen but...

tom_chang79
08-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Let's not start a debate over what is exclusive and what's not exclusive.

TR, Robosavvy, and Lynxmotion are places that I go to. I'm a bipedal fan, so I'm prejudiced towards these forums.

As for parallax, I haven't joined their forum, maybe I should, since I am curious about their Propeller and their GPS module.

Facebook is great, but I think many non-techies out there would appreciate the stuff, but not necessarily participate in it...

My little bro loves this stuff, but he isn't really interested in participating in it.

But getting any exposure of robotics are great. I think it's especially great for kids who are considering the "exciting" world of Science and Engineering.

EDIT:
-----

Perhaps you can put some shameless plugs in your Facebook page for TR, Robosavvy, and Lynxmotion? I'm sure the awesome teams behind these great sites would appreciate it!

Pi Guy
08-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Perhaps you can put some shameless plugs in your Facebook page for TR, Robosavvy, and Lynxmotion? I'm sure the awesome teams behind these great sites would appreciate it!
I will do that tomorrow. If there is anything else as well, just tell me. As for the Parallax Forums, It really is a great place and there is a far greater amount of participation and help in their forums than there is here.

lnxfergy
08-09-2009, 01:49 AM
As for the Parallax Forums, It really is a great place and there is a far greater amount of participation and help in their forums than there is here.

I really hate to open this can of worms... but: how do you figure? Sure, there are lots of threads about the Basic stamp and propeller (as one would expect, seeing as they are the developer of these products and that would be their support forum, just like I expect there to be more discussion of lynxmotion hexapods on the lynxmotion forums, since it's a primary channel of technical support), but for general robotics, I count less than 15 active threads in the Robotics section in the last week over on the Parallax forums (we've had more active threads in the last 18 hours, and almost that many in the last 6 hours).

I think each forum out there will have their strengths, generally it relates around the products they sell/develop. When is the last time you saw a thread about using the Arduino on a robot or using a Bioloid kit on the Parallax forums? I think it's a fairly brash move to show up on a forum and say "such and such a forum is better than yours", especially when the evidence is weak at best.

-Fergs

P.S. I'm a regular here, I'm an occasional poster/regular lurker at Lynxmotion, and a regular lurker at RoboSaavy -- not using the Basic Stamp nor Propeller, I don't regularly visit the Parallax forums.

Pi Guy
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
There's actually a thread about that here:
http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=369838&p=1
It's actually a pic/avr board with a Propeller on it allowing it to have tv output as well as work with a keyboard and mouse. As for the number of active threads yes, I realize the robotics section isn't as widely used. Most of the support on the Parallax forums has to do with software. But, since I was answering Tom who said he was interested in the Propeller and Parallax GPS, the forums he will probably be using will have a lot more activity. Just to give you and idea, every thread in the Propeller forum averages over 10 replies, and one must move to the second page sometimes to see the posts made in the morning. I don't see that here.

DresnerRobotics
08-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I think every forum has its strengths and weaknesses. Comparisons between the two are not easily quantifiable, nor necessary. Enjoy them all. =)

Nishi
01-13-2010, 08:48 AM
As for the Parallax Forums, It really is a great place and there is a far greater amount of participation and help in their forums than there is here.

Honsestly they've failed to help me even once and I have had minimal replies from Parallax forum members, not generally because my questions are ignorant or ill formatted but because quite often their either to mature for the young audiences that swarm them or because they aren't directly BASIC/spin software related enough for the admins/Moderators to feel confident giving their input(since most parallax moderators tend to reserve their input subjects or processes they are experienced about and confident of their knowledge in.) Everything is relative, but I personally don't like the Parallax forum, while I really like their products.

This is all in my experience, but maybe they reason there is so much activity in a morning alone is more representative of the medium age of users and quality of their input.. While searching threads the majority of replies I read were entirely unrelated to their subjects.