PDA

View Full Version : [Bioloid] Roboplus beta software from Robotis!

altwolf
08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
-August 7, 2008-I decided to edit my original post to reflect the most current Information found later in this thread.

Here is a link to the latest version of RoboPlus BETA Software that will soon replace the Motion Editor, terminal, and Behavior programmer that currently comes with Bioloid.

http://robosavvy.com/RoboSavvyPages/Robotis/Roboplus

There is no instruction manual available. Use at your own risk. You may not be able to use the old software or programs after installing the new firmware!

Instructions on how to use Roboplus with CM-5:
1. Install Roboplus. UNINSTALL any previous version first!
2. Put your CM-5 into "Manage-Mode"
3. Open the RoboPlus Manager.
4. Click the tiny icon on the menu bar that says "Controller Recovery" when you mouse over it.
5. A firmware updater wizard will start.
6. On the first page, the wizard will attempt to find your CM-5. Click the "find" button. If you have the CM-5 connected properly it should find it and report your details.
7. Click "Next"
8. This page just shows you info on your current CM-5 and then lists the firmware that will be installed once you click next. The firmware is 1.960 as of this writing.
9. Click next and the wizard will install the firmware.

After that, everything is setup to use Roboplus Beta software.
If you wish to report bugs or ask questions about the program, please do so at the official thread over at RoboSavvy. Thanks!
http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3764&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

billyzelsnack
08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Sweet! Future support for the CM-5 according the google translation!

lnxfergy
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking this is probably for the new Bioloid Premium.. which they only barely show on their site, and which they had at RoboGames.... it has a different controller though.

-Fergs

billyzelsnack
08-02-2009, 10:50 PM
The software does mention CM-5. I dunno if it works. I don't have anything setup on this machine.

Looks like the big thing in this is a replacement for Behavior Control Programs. They have a new format called .tsk which stands for task. It looks to be a new UI on top of the old BCPef concept. Dang it Robotis.. You make great robots, but geeeez... Enough with the half-way UI programming stuff. Just freak'n let us use a text editor if we want!!! I can type 100 times faster than manipulating comboboxes! You can keep your comboboxes, but make the file format just the freak'n program in TEXT! It really is not that difficult to write a parser. Especially one for your own language!!

lnxfergy
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
The software does mention CM-5. I dunno if it works. I don't have anything setup on this machine.

Looks like the big thing in this is a replacement for Behavior Control Programs. They have a new format called .tsk which stands for task. It looks to be a new UI on top of the old BCPef concept. Dang it Robotis.. You make great robots, but geeeez... Enough with the half-way UI programming stuff. Just freak'n let us use a text editor if we want!!! I can type 100 times faster than manipulating comboboxes! You can keep your comboboxes, but make the file format just the freak'n program in TEXT! It really is not that difficult to write a parser. Especially one for your own language!!

I put it through Google Translate too... and it specifically says: "(RoboPlus with the existing CM-5 firmware does not work.)". I'm guessing eventually they will release a firmware upgrade for the CM-5.. but I wouldn't hold my breath, this Premium kit has been "just around the corner" for quite some time.

As for using a text editor instead of combo-boxes... It wouldn't appear that is a very high priority for them. From what i've seen, you generally have two types of users for the bioloid kit: those who use it as a kit, and for whom combo boxes are fine... and those who just use the servos/brackets/wires with their own controllers to integrate into their own systems. When you view it that way, the CM-5 is really just a part of a kit, it gets you going fast, and easy to use. If you're gonna go way beyond a kit, you're most likley gonna want to switch out to a more powerful controller anyways.

-Fergs

nagmier
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Is that you volunteering billy? hahaha j/k I unfortunantly deal with VERY similar issues from my engineers\software devs we use so many different hands noone understands what the user sees or does anymore... Our proprietary internal "knowledge" base is a joke (note the quotes around knowledge) try searching for something! And will they change the search algorithm or just what fields in the articles it searchs? Nope... Oh and we fired the guy who wrote it and no one is willing to try and fix it. So I feel ya!

altwolf
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
It does indeed support CM-5 according to someone who has been testing it over at Robosavvy.
http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3764

billyzelsnack
08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Is that you volunteering billy?

As long as it's semi-straight forward I just might volunteer!

Here's a little snippet of the .tsk.
version 2.01
platform bioloid
o main
o begin
o if param_src:balance:100:49 lop:== param_src:dec_num:3 rop:then
o begin
-
o end
o end
Ñ>
I'm hoping those special characters are just a normal encoding because that looks a lot like text to me! So maybe I will write something. I think there definitely is a middle ground between BCP and C
( kinda like where the Aurduino lives. ) Often times it is more difficult to setup the toolpath than the actual programming!

altwolf
08-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Ooh, was just poking around in the robot task programmer. There is a listing under the hardware options for something listed as "Balance (S20)". It has variables for LED, ANGLE X/Y, Azimuth Z-axis, Acceleration X/Y/Z, voltage, and temperature. Cooooool. The original sensor unit is listed as "United Sensor (S1)". There is also one listed as "Custom". Hopefully this means that the new CM unit allows for more sensor options.

lnxfergy
08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
It does indeed support CM-5 according to someone who has been testing it over at Robosavvy.

He's testing it with a new Bioloid Premium though, correct? Which would be a CM-510? I notice someone else has already installed and said that it wouldn't connect to the CM-5... I imagine if it did work with the CM-5, they wouldn't outright say "does not work with current firmware of CM-5"

Again, I haven't tried it... heck, I don't even use Windows, BCP, or my CM-5....

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
It's supposed to be backwards compatible with the CM-5. Might be a firmware issue.

It's at least an improvement from the full GUI setup they had before, this at least has some teaching value to it in terms of learning text based languages. Still would be nice for a full text editor version though.

altwolf
08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
What is the latest version of the regular Bioloid software? The one I have is 1.11.

If you look at "Roboplus/Manager/config/cm-5.txt" the firmware version listed there is 1.93. So that may be the firmware version it looks for.

altwolf
08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Here is a cut and past from a message left over at Robosavvy from user "PedroR" regarding how to make Roboplus work with your CM-5:

"Hi guys

I am currently at the Robotis office in Seoul as I write this post

We are going through a session about Roboplus.

In any case, just to let you know about my experience: You need firmware 1.9xxx for CM5 for it to work with Roboplus.

That firmware ships with Roboplus itself.

You go to Roboplus Manager, and click on one of the icons on the toolbar that says "Controller Recovery". It will guide you trough a wizard that will install the latest firmware on your Bioloid.
The firmware it installs will be compatible with Roboplus but it might not work with the previous BCP and MotionEditor.

You can downgrade the firmware using the traditional method on Robot Terminal if you wish to return to a previous version.

As a side note, when using Roboplus Task (BCP replacement) check the keyboard shortcuts because they will make your life a lot easier.

I have tested this with Roboplus 1.0.2.7 and Limor's Bioloid (CM5) and it works. You may also need to put the CM5 in management mode (or some other mode; I don't remember now) to be able to start the firmware upgrade wizard."

altwolf
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Again here is more info from "PedroR" over at Robosavvy:

"Here are the highlights (my notes) so far on Roboplus. Some of the items you may already know others are general pointers for highlights of features.

ROBOPLUS MANAGER

1)
Using Roboplus with CM5 for the first time:
- You first need to run a firmware update.
- If you want to go back to the old software you can downgrade to old firmwares but you’d have to do it manually.

In Roboplus, firmware update has an automated tool. You can’t select which firmware to use; it will automatically upload the appropriate firmware according to the version of Roboplus you’re running.

2)
Clicking on the “?” will show the information about the latest information available.

3)
The function “Controller Recovery” will always install the latest firmware to work with the current version of Roboplus.

4)
Zig2Serial communication / test mode in Roboplus Manager will be extended with the link to the packet structure.
When you send a packet you should only expect to receive a response when you send a packet that has a meaning to Zigbee.
A new SDK – Remocon SDK – is to be released which contains the packet structure for the remote control as well as packet structure for zigbee.

Also, this new tool lets you setup many of the Zigbee parameters which used to have to be done on Robot terminal but now can be done here.

5)
Actuators are grouped under the tree and you can make to changes to all of them at once.

6)
When seeing the properties for CM510, you have the option to perform a Quick Search or an Advanced / Full Search.

On a quick search it only searches for servos at the specified baud rate.
In Advanced Search, it searches for servos at different baud rates AND automatically sets them to the correct baud rate.

7)
You can use Dynamixel Manager to change the ID now and it won’t let you overlap IDs with other servos that are already connected.

8 )
Pins in A/D ports: Vdd / Gnd / ADC / Output (LED). The 5th pin is unused.
Output can beset High or LOW. High is 5V.

9)
When you are using Zigbee you can use Roboplus Manager to set the own ID and the paired ID on the Zig110.
For the module in the Remote you need to use Zig2Serial.

GENERAL CM510 considerations

10)
Both CM5 and CM510 have 2 UARTS exposed: one for Dynamixels and another for Zigbee.
In the case of CM510 this second UART is the connector on top of the controller where you connect the IR Receiver, the Zigbee module OR you can use that connector to connect any external controller.
Note however that you must respect the Remocon command when sending commands to this UART.
As far as I know there is no way to put the controller in “zombie mode” where it just relays commands from this UART to the Dynamixel bus and feeds the result back here.

10A) Priority of communications:
In CM5 you could be relaying commands from different resources (Zigbee, PC, IR, custom board) all at the same time.
In the new CM510 this is not like this. It uses a priority system where only one method is relaying at a time.

11)
You can remove the Zigbee or the IR and use that connector to connect a custom board to relay commands.

Vcc / GND / RX and TX.
RX and TX are connected to the CPU (not the Dynamixel bus) and thus you can only send commands to the CPU.

ROBOPLUS TASK

12)
Binary operators exist in Roboplus Task.

13)
When using “CUSTOM” devices in Roboplus task, ID and Address can be typed in as Variables as well as numbers.

14)
When you issue a “MOTION PLAY” command, it runs asynchronously.
You can check if the motion has finished playing with a check on “Motion Status”.

15)
To force a motion to STOP playing you do “Motion Page” = 0

16)
In IF statements you can now have multiple conditions: you click on THEN and replace it with && or ||

Pay attention to operator priority and how it evaluates for example
FALSE && TRUE || TRUE = TRUE according to the demo. This is not like C. Also operator association is not possible.
Further docs are to be made available on the way it evaluates conditions.

17)
LOOP can also have multiple conditions. You double click on the line and it will show the “then” word just like in the IFs, so you can add && and ||

18 )
In LOOP FOR the step is ALWAYS +1. It always adds 1 on each iteration.
You cannot have negative steps or steps like 2, 3, etc.

19)
There are no local variables.
All variables are Global. There is only a global lookup table so it doesn’t matter where you use the variable or where you call it.
Variable declaration is not required and a variable starts existing once you assign a value to it.

20)
CALLBACK is a special function that is called by the system every 7.8ms.
There can be only one CALLBACK per program.

It’s called every time a command is sent to update the motion, meaning a motion page Play sends a servo command at every 7.8ms and then the CALLBACK function is invoked.

The callback is always called regardless of being running a motion or not.

21)
The Motion Offset command will change the value with relation to the position programmed in the page: for example -20 will make the servo be moving at -20 degrees from what was programmed in the Motion page for that servo.
In the previous Bioloid offset was used in Motion Editor only. Now you can set offsets in real time from Roboplus Task.

22)
CALL or LOOP are not allowed inside a CALLBACK function.
CALLBACK needs to be short or otherwise it won’t even enter the function or it just hogs all the resources on the robot.

23)
You can only make 2 Dynamixel calls inside a CALLBACK (you can only make 2 communications).
(this is probably due to timing issues).
However you can set as much motion offsets as you’d like.

24)
It has a PRINT command that prints on a terminal window when the program is running.
This can be used for debugging purposes or other purposes.

25)
Timer will run a Timer: you set the initial time and make a WAIT WHILE Timer > 0 if you want to wait that amount of time.

26)
To program remote:
First test for Remocon Arrived. If true test the result of Remocon RXD.
If Remocon RXD = and then you set the Remocon with no buttons selected, that means remocon KEY UP. You can use a Motion Page = 0 to stop

It also good to use an AND mask to filter out additional buttons that may be being pressed but we want to ignore.

ROBOPLUS MOTION

27)
In Roboplus Motion you can copy and paste between Excel and the position list to make calculations in Excel and then bring them back.

28 )
When setting positions in Motion Editor you can enter values like +20, -30 and it will automatically apply those calculations over the value already there."

altwolf
08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
"PedroR" has posted a link to download the latest beta version of Roboplus over at robosavvy. Go towards the end of the thread to find his message with the link. I didn't want to link directly since he says he was only authorized to give it to Robosavvy. Remember this is BETA, not-officially-released software and technically not supposed to be out in the public's hands yet. If you want to report bugs, do it over in PedroR's thread at robosavvy.com.

This version DOES work with CM-5, unlike the last version I originally posted about. I just installed it and confirmed it.
Set your CM-5 to "Manage Mode" before you open RoboPlus Manager.
You need to go into Roboplus manager and click the little icon that says "Controller recovery". Inside the new window click "find" to locate your CM-5. In the next window it will list your current CM-5 and the firmware that it will be update to- 1.93, i think. Just click next and it will do it all for you.

PedroR
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi guys

Just noticed this thread. Just wanted to reinfirce some of the things that have been said:

Roboplus is still beta and there is a discussion going on at the Robosavvy forum about it http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3764 (http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3764)

Robotis is not offering any support for Roboplus at this time and they have made it available for limited testing.
Bugs should be reported on the forum and Robosavvy takes care of screening them and sending a periodic report to Robotis.

Note that the official software for Bioloid is still the Motion Editor / Behaviour Control Program.
Don't send any requests about Roboplus to Robotis as you won't get any response.

Also, some more info to some questions posed here:

- Roboplus IS compatible with the Bioloid Comprehensive and CM5 controller.s see on that thread how to upgrade the firmware to work with Roboplus.
There are already many users working with it.

- Bioloid Premium will also use Roboplus. It has a CM 510 controller with an atmega from the 25x series.

- The S20 sensor is a balance sensor that will come with Bioloid Premium.
It is currently being redesigned because the original chip used was being affected by too much noise.

There is review on the new Bioloid Premium here http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4045 (http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4045)
It is very thorough and details the differences and what's enw in the new kit.

Also if you're looking for some samples on how to use Roboplus we've made a few available in that thread.

Pedro.