PDA

View Full Version : Mech Cams

MSK Mech Commander
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Just had a few questions to ask regarding wireless cams.

[1] What are some good quality cams out there that I can line up with my airsoft guns real easy?
[2] What's the best resolution available? The best I found was 600 x 480 pixels.
[3] What do you think is the best cam for a mech?

I'd also like this to be a singular thread for all the webcams everybody is using. So please post about the webcam you're going to use, come 2010. It'd be nice to know what cams are really good, and what cams you wish you had never even laid your eyes on.
Thanks.:D

lnxfergy
08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Most people who competed (and didn't have major problems with their cameras, sorry Gary!) were using the Trendnet Camera. The Airlink camera was what Gary was using, he's switching. I had an Airlink camera also (borrowed from Tybs), it regularly lost connection even at my house. As far as cheap, reliable, decently light, and decently low power, I think the Trendnet is the current winner (I'm sure other things will be discovered, but it currently has the best track record for mech warfare).

I know I downsampled to 320x240 and then blew the image up on the desktop (less data to send through the wifi, increased the frame rate). It was more than adequate. I have a video posted of the on-board view from issy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmABWJHq-0w
While it may seem like that video is jumpy -- that's actually just issy, he moved around like a spider with ADHD, who'd drank about 10 pots of coffee. The movement was quick, but not smooth at all.

-Fergs

gdubb2
08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I used an Airlink AIC-250W.. Picture was poor, resolution was poor, Connection was poor, It didn't work.

Gary

MSK Mech Commander
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Alright, cool, thanks for the advice.:)

lnxfergy
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
I think probably the most important thing to keep in mind for anyone thinking of evaluating new cameras: non-IP cams need not apply. Adrenalynn tested a number of non-IP cams (that is, cameras that don't run on 802.11), even high end ones, and they just couldn't handle the amount of RF at robogames.

-Fergs