PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Timer for Servo or Motor for cigarette dispenser?

shineling
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to build a simple little box that unlocks every 3 hours.

I am thinking of a servo or motor to use as the unlocking mechanism.

I don't want to hook it up to a computer. What kind of circuit could I have to run this?

What about power?

Any ideas?

What is this for? Its kinda embarassing... i'm trying to quit smoking and I want to make a cigaretter dispenser so i can gradually cut back.

Thanks so much! Really need this.

:o

crabfu
08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Nothing to be embarrassed about, I think it's a brillant idea! First of all I don't have a suggestion for servo/controller, I don't know enough about that sort of thing, sorry. But I am proud to say that I'm now a non smoker, after more years of being a smoker than not :( so I feel your pain and appreciate your effort in trying something new. What I can suggest is to look into something in the market similar to what you are looking for. There are medicine pill dispensers with alarms that may be big enough. However I'm not sure if they make them unlockable via the timer. And being an ex smoker I understand the need for a locking system, if nothing it's a good mental barrier ;) anyway it just seems like something like this should be in the market, try surfing something up before trying to make one? In my experience it's almost always more costly to try and make something than to buy one designed already.... But it's always more fun to "make" stuff though, so I'm not trying to talk you out of that. The fact that you're lookin into this is a big step and I wish you luck!

-crabfu

mannyr7
08-05-2009, 11:36 PM
How about gutting a digital alarm clock and rigging something to the speaker output? Maybe use this as a Hi/Lo signal to trigger a servo opening? Or maybe wire the speaker leads to a solenoid actuated locking mechanism? No computer required, and the bonus is you gain battery backup in case of power outage! :happy: Of course you have to reset the alarm every three hours. :sad:

And good luck! I'm two months smoke-free myself but its still a daily battle.

Adrenalynn
08-06-2009, 02:37 AM
I think the RTC (Real Time Clock) is your challenge. I wouldn't approach the challenge without a decent microcontroller and RTC. I'm actually in the process of interfacing a M41T56C64 real time clock chip to an Arduino...