PDA

View Full Version : Hexamon

roycepipkins
08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
After viewing the excellent footage of the Mech Warfare event at RoboGames 2009, and noting the advent of the hexapod league, I've decided to at least start building a hexapod mech. There is no guarantee that I can make it to the 2010 RoboGames, but I sure do want to try.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_YS3wq3t724o/Sn5SCOU5SOI/AAAAAAAAAHI/a7TnuOjF1xo/%5BUNSET%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

This took FOREVER to assemble this afternoon. Obviously no guns, brains, video, comms or batteries as yet, but its a start. I have a couple 11.1V 2AH Li-Ions laying around someplace that I expect I'll use.

I just have stick-on rubber feet on the bottom of the servo feet at the moment. I assume they'll fall off, but they'll do until I can come up with something better. Mechanical is not my strong suit.

My next step is to poke around for a pre-made async AVR C library to talk to the Dynamixels to use with custom gait code I intend to write. No need to re-invent the wheel on the protocol front, but I hope to learn a thing or two about custom gaits. I have an early version ('07) of StuartL's protocol work but I keep thinking there is something more up-to-date out there. I'll use Robotis' sync C library code in a pinch.

Tomorrow (gah, today now), I'll go to the August Chibots meeting and show them the frame and the 2009 Robogames Mech Warfare footage. Who knows? Maybe it will spark another builder.