PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] RAD anyone?

Sid723
08-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Has anyone done any work on any of the RAD series of robots? I have a RAD 2.0 and I need some ideas on what to do with it. :wink: I thought of taking out the controller and putting in one of the PIC micros to control it, and maybe adding a Radio Shack rangefinder and a few other sensors. I did a search on this forum and could not find any talk about the RAD. Just curious....

darkback2
08-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey,

I don't have a RAD...but I can think of a bunch of things you could do with one. For example, gut it and cram a PC in there...add sensors and a servo controller and attempt to take over the world!

DB

jes1510
08-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Funny you mention it. I have a RAD 2.0 as well. One day I'll do something with it.

Toymaker
08-23-2009, 05:36 AM
This is a RAD conversion I did about 10 years ago!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3303350272_38f794c852_o.jpg

One thing about the RAD robot was that its tracked base moved in a good straight line without any feedback!

Toymaker

Sid723
08-23-2009, 09:11 AM
That looks great! :cool:

Questions: Do those arms really move? Did you make the old arms into ears? Is it still controlled through the controller or did you put in a new CPU and sensors to make it autonomous?

I have been looking up what others have done on the Web and found that most people take the base and throw the rest away. It is good that you kept the head at least. Let me know more about it and how you modified it. My RAD is an older model than this one, and is a project that my grandson and I are working on.

Toymaker
08-25-2009, 05:44 AM
No the arms were static, I meant to put working arms on later but never got around to it!

I used the RAD grippers as ear lobes these housed PIR sensors so it could detect left/right human activity. The was the first robot I built with thermal imaging (the orange element) between the ultrasonic sensors. The robot was controlled by a couple of PICs, it was autonomous with RF override control. Speech was via a Windbond soundcontroller (in CPU mode), I used a 60 second chip and used concatenation, so it had hundreds of output phrases.

Toymaker

Sid723
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks to you all for your ideas.