PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Ripsaw mini

Cosmoses
08-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Project: Ripsaw Mini
Mission directive: Explore
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/jaybird141/Photoon2009-08-30at22044.jpg
Sorry for the horrid drawing I'm not the best artist and this was just our original idea drawing

Hey guys this will be my first from scratch robot that I am building with my brother in law!

The Frame
Custom Lexan frame
Lynxmotion 2" treads
The Guts
SSc-32 servo controller
Sabertooth 2X10 R/C Regenerative Dual Channel Motor Controller
Gear Head Motor - 12vdc 30:1 253rpm (6mm shaft)
The Brain
Via pico-itx Px10000g

Well that its for tonight, but I will post more info soon for those who are interested in the project although I'm really here for the great help that the Trossen community provides as I have already gained incredible insight on these forums just surfing around

darkback2
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow...looks like a tall order for a first scratch built project. Please keep us posted. Couple questions...

1) Other than video what sensors are you planning on using?
2) What is the over all goal of this project?
3) How are you going to deal with the three video streams?
4) What kind of treads are you going to use?
5) Overall scale of the robot?
6) So your going with a PC base...What other chips are you using? Phidgets? Serializer? SSC-32?

OK...

DB

Cosmoses
08-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey thanks for the questions, to clarify Im a high school student but my brother in law is a mechanical engineer so hes the brains and I do the tinkering so thats why Im going into such a challenging first build.
1) Other sensors are really still up in the air as we plan on doing a rebuild of the bot after the basic configuration
2) The goal is to build a small fast all terrain recon bot of sorts and as a test bed to launch future robotic projects of our from
3) Well that still up in the air my current train of thought is to selectively use one at a time depending on the task but any help would be appreciated
4) Lynxmotion Track - 2" Wide x 21 links ~23"
5) Scale roughly 20 inches by ten inches
6) SSC-32

nagmier
08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not the type to brag but I am working on a similar project, take a look at my thread here:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showpost.php?p=32024&postcount=14

It might help you in some decisions, you have already made one choice I now wish I had, the sabertooth mc, as opposed to the phidget (no problems just no advantages and way $$$).

I'll answer any questions I can.

One thing I will suggest... 1/4" for the "chassis" portion, my chassis is 1/8th and it has cracked a tiny bit, I haven't had much time to play with it in the last 2 months as I'm working on navigation and sensing at the moment... anyways I don't want to hijack your thread.

Welcome and if I can be of any assistance please let me know. You have def come to the right place!

Cosmoses
08-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks nagmier its nice to find a similar project to bounce ideas off of so anytime you want to drop into this thread feel free!

I had been thinking of the phidget but I guess it was a good idea to stay with the saber?

I'll be sure to post more info within the next day or so to give a better idea of this project I just wanted to get out on the forums this evening.

CogswellCogs
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I have done a similar project, too, but in a larger scale. Still, you may be able to glean some ideas from it. Here's a good summary:
http://home.comcast.net/~dwconn404/RCTank/Tiger/UpperHull.htm

This one has a MiniItx board as the brain, a paintball marker, and is powered by two scooter motors. There are two video channels.

Cosmoses
08-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks Cogs, I love the tiger it's a pretty sweet build and it's nice to see how this project could be scaled as its something that I would eventually like to do.

CogswellCogs
08-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks a lot. It was a blast to build and it's fun to play with :)

There are a lot of great tank builds at http://www.rctankcombat.com/tanks/. Most are controlled by standard R/C, but those guys really know how to build sturdy, reliable, designs.

Adrenalynn
08-31-2009, 01:08 AM
>> 1/4" for the "chassis" portion, my chassis is 1/8th and it has cracked a tiny bit

1/4" adds a lot of unnecessary weight. Just reinforcing with aluminum at stress points ends the cracking problems with lexan. (Landshark is a lexan and lm-tracks base - a highly modified tri-track). He has almost 7lbs on him. But he's running larger (banebots) motors and a way big motor controller (80A/channel 2.5 channel Robot Power Solutions)

sam
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Looks like a nice project!

I've found out that scratch projects tend to give you so much in return (in experience, knowledge and techniques)! The only thing you need is determination to finish your project. And theres always some nice people here to help you!

Sam

Cosmoses
09-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey guys my brother in law decided to rename the bot Stacy's mom just Fyi. In other news we now have everything we need minus some nuts and bolts and we will post some new updates as we head into next week. It is our plan to make this into a how to for other people building a robot like this. Well I have to get back to setting up the bots computer but look out for more info and photos soon!

sam
09-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey guys my brother in law decided to rename the bot Stacy's mom just Fyi. In other news we now have everything we need minus some nuts and bolts and we will post some new updates as we head into next week. It is our plan to make this into a how to for other people building a robot like this. Well I have to get back to setting up the bots computer but look out for more info and photos soon!

Can't wait for those pictures and that tutorial! :happy:

Sam