PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Wearable control interface

mannyr7
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
@ Adrenalynn

Do you have a link to construction of your Landshark arm controller? Specifically pots used, but as much info as possible. And congrats on your super-poster status! I'm bettin 5000 on Halloween! :robotsurprised: On second thought, make that Sept 31st.

nagmier
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Manny my friend I stole the Halloween vote! and Sept only has 30 days ;)

mannyr7
09-03-2009, 07:08 PM
*cough, umm, yeah, thought it was a leap year, lol! Make that the 30th of Sept., then. :o

Adrenalynn
09-04-2009, 02:05 AM
I lost my entire build documentation in an HD crash. [pout] But, I can recall some things that may be worthwhile...

10k Pots from here: http://www.futurlec.com/Potentiometers/POT10Kpr.shtml

I used 6mm hubs from here: http://servocity.com/html/set_screw_hubs.html.

I bolted the 6mm hubs to the work piece (arm extension) and then attached that to the pot. Get extra pots, they're crazy cheap. The downside to this method was that the direct drive could snap-off the shaft of the pot if you put angular force on it. You also want to fill in the slot in the pot with epoxy or just some folded up plastic (which is what I initially did) to keep from compressing the shaft.

Some kind of indirect geared drive could be concocted to not put pressure on the pot, but it really wasn't required. None of the middle school students every snapped a pot, even in putting it on and taking it off several times a day. I snapped one trying to "drill one quick hole" and putting a lot of pressure down on it unsupported.

You need to tension relieve the wires to keep from breaking off the tabs on the pots. I just pop-rivited aluminum off the main arm, drilled holes, and zip-tied the wire to it. Then sealed it all with liquid electrical tape to stave off any risk of short circuit. (I did short one once without it).

That's about it. Make your life easy and get linear tapered pots. Log pots will be a pita to calibrate.

Pretty easy project really.

I'm sure I have my Arduino code on the laptop if you want it.

mannyr7
09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Outstanding! Thanks for the links and helpful advice. That's enough to get me started. If you have the code handy, I could use that too. I haven't settled on a microcontroller yet, but am heavily leaning toward an Arduino. Do you have any recommendations for head tracking? How about an IMU mounted on a ball cap? :cool:

darkback2
09-04-2009, 06:13 PM
There is some really cool stuff you can do with a wiimote...either tracking IR or through the tilt sensor deally...

DB

mannyr7
09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I've seen this, amazing stuff! I've even played around with it a bit using head mounted leds and Freetrack. I find it not accurate enough for my purposes and too susceptible to interference from ambient light. Plus I'll be moving around with the arm controller too much to always keep my head in frame. :tongue: Also I'd rather have hardware physically mounted, with the robustness of a microcontroller versus a pc. Thanks for the suggestion though!