PDA

View Full Version : Dora the Explore'a



Adrenalynn
09-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I've kinda been thinking I want to do RoboMagellan for some time now. Alas, the 'bot I've been working on, Naviguesser, is large enough to cause problems around the house and lab. I hate patching sheetrock. So Dora (short for Issadora, of course ;) ) was born. She'll be my test platform for PC-driven navigation algorithm development.

She's based around the RoboticsConnection Serializer (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=serializer&submit=true), and operates on Bluetooth (Serializer) (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5199-Bluetooth-Communication-Connector.aspx), XBee (for the compass) (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5200-XBee-1mW-Communication-Module.aspx), and some kind of video system TBD - probably custom.

She has a scanning sensor array in front - a Sharp IR Ranger (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/sharp-ir-distance-sensor-gp2y0a02yk.aspx), a laser (to be used in conjunction with the camera for range finding), and a MaxBotix EZ-1 sonar (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/maxbotix-lv-maxsonar-ez1.aspx). Before long, she'll also get her compass, GPSr, and camera. She's powered with a sub-c 4500mAh Tenergy NiMH battery. The motors and original frame came from Lnxfergy - frame's very custom to start with and I turned it upside down, slapped a bunch of plastic on it, cut it up with the plasma cutter and angle grinder, slapped a caster on the back, and otherwise made a mess of it.

Anyway, I just started on her last night and ran some preliminary testing on her tonight:
(I spent _hours_ on that stupid front bracket, was drilling "just one last hole" for the laser and the darn thing snapped. It was the most time consuming part on the 'bot, and I just couldn't let it go. So, as ugly as it is, out came the plastic epoxy and I glued it back together... I'll probably make another one sometime in the near future...)

http://www.jlrdesigns.com/dora/issa-dora.jpg

Macro Man
09-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Looks sophisticated (and expensive!) :)

Acrylic is really brittle, if you use a sharp drill bit it will bite in deep and crack it. :( I've got some blunt old drill bits I use for acrylic.

bigderhak
09-13-2009, 11:28 AM
I love all the ideas that are floating around and how everyone has their own way of how things should come together. This looks really neat, hopefully it can stay away from the walls :p.

nagmier
09-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Can't wait to see this in action! I'm very interested in the nav this should be a great project even as they "Ho out" Dora... (In case ya'll didn't know they are changing the toons look to a bratz type appearance).

ooops
09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I spent _hours_ on that stupid front bracket, was drilling "just one last hole" for the laser and the darn thing snapped.

Hmmm, if you would have used soft foam, you would have a "Nerf Dora" that would be kinder and gentler on the walls, and wouldn't have cracked:)
Just kidding ... looks good.
Honestly though, it would look cool with a band-aid there and you could "logo" the project. Of course with a name like Oops, you gotta know I see a lot of band-aids.
Keep us posted!