PDA

View Full Version : Control ESC as Servo

masoric
09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Has anyone had any luck or complete lack of lucking running two large (say 60 amp) ESCs and motors off of one of the Serializer Digital Servo ports (external power suppy of course).

Adam

Adrenalynn
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Sure - I've run a 2.5 channel 160A/channel Robot Power Solutions motor controller from it.

You just need to pick an ESC that is PWM driven. Any should work fine.

masoric
09-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Cool I need to run two Electric Ducted fan/Motors and using the serializer to run the ESC will make my life much easier. :-). The flying robot project has become somewhat more complicated then I originally though (I am guessing thats a pretty common revelation)

nagmier
09-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes its a common revelation... though I seem to keep having the revelation over and over again with my robot project :D

Trial and error is fun though!

Love to hear more about your project I'm currently deciding if I want to play around with UAV stuff.

FYI if you haven't seen it http://www.diydrones.com has a ton of good info

Adrenalynn
09-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I *really* don't think you're going to be lifting a Serializer, two 60A motor controllers, the batteries to power that, the weight of the ducted fans, ... It's gonna take a lot more than 60A motors/controllers to lift that kinda weight. The energy density isn't high enough. Have you considered JP1 (Jet fuel) and a carbon composite monoque frame?

masoric
09-14-2009, 07:41 AM
You might be right and If I have to go bigger I can... However currently two 60Amp EDFs put out about 48oz of static thrust give or take a bit. My current weights are...

chassis 8oz
Serializer 3oz
Motors 3.5x 2 for 7oz
battery about 8 oz
ESC 2.1 oz x 2 for 4.2oz

plus a few more oz of random stuff should bring me to 35oz flying weight not really much of a buffer zone for lift but the chassis is easily reconfigurable for addition of a third motor (which was really my plan from the get go) the other option is to upgrade to some 30oz thrust fans (they weigh a little more and draw 14.1v as upposed to the 11.1v in the 24oz fans but actually draw less amps and would over all be an upgrade)

Weight and gravity are a pain in the ass...:-)

masoric
10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
another part of this question would be. using the serializer as a motor controller what "position" do you have as "off" on the seralizer. Servo motor position = 0 or Servo motor position = -100

Adam