PDA

View Full Version : Any update on the new bioloid kit?

praelian
09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Like the title says, I'm curious if there is an update on release of the new kit?

lnxfergy
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd imagine, when it's available (or even when they know when it will be available), you'll hear all about it. The bioloid release is highly anticipated (has been for some time), and I'm sure Trossen will be heavily promoting the new release.

-Fergs

praelian
09-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Yup, just curious if there was an update yet.

lnxfergy
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Robosaavy has posted some details about the kit, and also stated that no release date has been confirmed (and that it may not be out before christmas): http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4045

-Fergs

praelian
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the link, I hate playing the waiting game!

tom_chang79
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I wonder if the Premium kits are going to priced similarly as the current Comprehensive kit? If it is, I wonder if the Comprehensive kit is going to drop in price???

I think the main advantage of the Premium is if you have it configured as a humanoid, since the battery is now in the "butt" area (like Droid Work's modification of his 1HV, Mecha Kong) and the new CM controller can now be more recessed into the back-pack area since the battery is no longer there...

Besides externally pulling out ports for sensors, if you're doing a hexapod or a quadrapod, I don't really see an advantage at all... But ever since the annoucement was made for the Premium kit, I've been seeing more and more Bioloid owners selling off their kits...

You may be able to jump in on these kinds of deals... I think Bullit was selling his for $600, which is a steal for what you are getting...

lnxfergy
09-14-2009, 10:40 PM
The rumor on several forums is that this is an upgrade over the comprehensive kit, sort of a mid-way between the existing comprehensive kit and the expert kit (which I imagine may disappear, cant imagine they sell many of those).

The analysis on robosaavy shows that the premium kit includes a bunch of extras: the boomerang controller ($40 currently), the zigbee pair (another $60 currently), a USBDynamixel (something like $50-60), lipo battery, the new CM-510 with several sensors and a 6-axis IMU. My guess is that we'll continue to see the comprehensive kit offered, and I doubt the price will drop much, because I imagine the premium kit will be just that, at a premium, I can't see it being much less than $1100-1200 given all the new extras.

In my view, the premium kit is probably aimed at builders who want an out of the box wireless solution, lipo power, and better dynamics for things like robo-one. They'll still have to produce the CM-5 (unless they want to upgrade the beginner kit to a CM-510, and that could be costly), so they might as well continue to sell the comprehensive kit, as a midway between products.

-Fergs

P.S. I think the users selling off bioloid kits has more to do with the status of the economy, and people not having as much time as they'd like these days, than with the future release of the Premium kit (heck, we don't even have a release date yet).