PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore Weapon Choices

Darkwolf3128
09-16-2009, 03:14 AM
I am a bit curious, what kind of weapon systems are allowed in the hardcore variant of the game? How much damage should I expect to be inflicted on my bot? I wasn't too clear on how "hardcore" hardcore was.

Adrenalynn
09-16-2009, 03:15 AM
Not much.

And there is the option to walk away from any fight you're not comfortable with.

You have a biped or quad that is up and walking and competition-ready now?

Darkwolf3128
09-16-2009, 03:15 AM
Ah my mistake, I found the former thread.

Darkwolf3128
09-16-2009, 03:17 AM
Well one thing I wasnt clear on was the CO2 powered rifles. Are these metal BBs or plastic? Right now, I am looking to flesh out what is to be expected in these types of matches.

Adrenalynn
09-16-2009, 03:27 AM
Well, at the moment , there is exactly one proven hardcore mech. It lit off its rockets, and took home the gold. I would have won the lottery twice and been struck by lightening before DB's rockets actually hit anything they were aiming at. I'm betting most anything is negotiable once you demonstrate a mech that can carry the payload of the required batteries and camera, working under remote control, with enough headroom remaining for the targeting system...

At the moment there are exactly zero bots capable of carrying a CO2 powered rifle. Are you ready to demonstrate one? Linkage?

DresnerRobotics
09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Hardcore weapon class is pretty open, it takes place inside a bulletproof glass arena. That said, the primary intention is not to damage the robots, rather score hits... and with the new target sensors we'll be using for Airsoft, it presents a problem as they would almost certainly get damaged by anything more powerful than airsoft.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any robot capable of carrying a CO2 weapons system is going to need a minimum of $4200 in servos (and I'm talking a quad), access to a machine shop for a custom heavy duty aluminum frame, as well as knowledge of building a controller to handle the higher end servos. In other words, it's a weapons class that I expect to develop from the veterans of the airsoft class, not exactly something that first year entries shoot for.

lnxfergy
09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I really don't see anyone building their own CO2 guns... it's likely going to weigh more and shoot less than something that has a team of engineers building it.

I also don't really see us having a huge number of hard-core bots... its just really costly, and the technology required for even an airsoft bot stumped a number of builders last year.

-Fergs