PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] Alibre Design Standard Special Offer

billyzelsnack
08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I dunno. Looks kinda interesting..

http://www.alibre.com/99/defaultx.asp

LinuxGuy
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Since getting back into 3D CAD with Alibre Design, I spotted an offer some here may be interested in, especially if you are using the current trial version. Alibre is offering, for a very short time only, Alibre Design Standard (the full version) for $99.00 (http://mkt.alibre.com/l/1004/2009-08-04/EI16A). This is a great time to upgrade to a full version of Alibre Design if you are currently using it for designing robots or anything else. I am not connected with Alibre other than as a very satisfied user. Lynxmotion (http://www.lynxmotion.com) is also using Alibre Design for 3D CAD now. :D

This offer ends just 11 days from the date of this post.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
09-17-2009, 12:10 PM
[moved to software from general]

DresnerRobotics
09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
That's a killer deal for a very solid 3D cad platform. Personally I'm a big fan of Inventor, but what I've seen from Alibre looks good.

LinuxGuy
09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
That's a killer deal for a very solid 3D cad platform. Personally I'm a big fan of Inventor, but what I've seen from Alibre looks good.
Yes, it is a great deal! I'm always amazed at how much I depend on 3D CAD to model and verify my designs before I order parts and start building. You just can't get this sort of capability at a reasonable price for a full package like this. I own and use Alibre Design Expert and just got v10 reinstalled and am starting to do 3D CAD again. I've had it since 2006.

8-Dale

sam
09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I loved Alibre too, but I had some problems since I have Windows 7 on my PC.

The workspace wouldn't even show up (just stayed gray). So I tried it in a virtual machine running windows XP, and it still didn't work (which it really should). Contacted tech, couldn't help...

So I won't get it since I can't use it. :sad:

Sam

Adrenalynn
09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
It's kinda harsh to dis a piece of software when you're running it on an operating system that's still in Beta.

You'd probably think I was kinda silly if I went off on it because it won't run under CP/M, right? At least that OS has been around for thirty years...

CogswellCogs
09-17-2009, 04:02 PM
It's kinda harsh to dis a piece of software when you're running it on an operating system that's still in Beta.

The retial version of Windows 7 is already available to many, including MSDN subscribers. I wonder if Sam was using that.

Adrenalynn
09-17-2009, 04:35 PM
MSDN is a developer copy of RC-Gold, not a full retail. I've been an MSDN member as long as MSDN has existed, and longer (back when it was MSEnterprise)

Retail means On Store Shelves. Many times the Gold goes back, and when the Dev Gold is installed, it installs a crudload up updates that will be in the Retail.

So again - it's beta software. Nothing but a release candidate. Try running it on a commercial operating system like XP or Vista, and [@Sam] stay away from the crack sites more. ;)

LinuxGuy
09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
So again - it's beta software. Nothing but a release candidate. Try running it on a commercial operating system like XP or Vista, and [@Sam] stay away from the crack sites more. ;)
I agree! I've run Alibre Design on XP and am now running it on Vista without any issues. I own a license for v10 of Alibre Design Expert currently and it's working fine.

Don't trust pre-releases of operating systems or other software to behave as they will when actually shipped to stores. :D

8-Dale

sam
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM

You'd probably think I was kinda silly if I went off on it because it won't run under CP/M, right? At least that OS has been around for thirty years...

I was running it in Windows Virtual XP on Windows 7 (Thus... XP). All the other programs that couldn't work on Windows 7 work on the Virtual XP. Virtual XP is supposed to act exactly like Windows XP. That is why it should have worked.

EDIT: But, as soon as I get Windows 7 (the non-beta version ;) )and Alibre to work, I will be very tempted. As I mentioned, I liked a lot Alibre when I tried it in the past.

Sam

Adrenalynn
09-17-2009, 06:44 PM
No. Virtual Machines are not hardware systems. No, they are specifically NOT supposed to act as a full-fledged machine. Quite the opposite, which is exactly their advantage.

Resources are deliberately limited in a virtual machine. Anything requiring actual hardware resources (such as anything that touches the graphics card drivers) should absolutely fail. If it doesn't, it's poorly designed.

LinuxGuy
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
At least with v10.x of Alibre Design, it's extremely dependent on JAVA, so if that doesn't work in a specific setup, neither will AD.

8-Dale

sam
09-17-2009, 09:11 PM
No. Virtual Machines are not hardware systems. No, they are specifically NOT supposed to act as a full-fledged machine. Quite the opposite, which is exactly their advantage.

Resources are deliberately limited in a virtual machine. Anything requiring actual hardware resources (such as anything that touches the graphics card drivers) should absolutely fail. If it doesn't, it's poorly designed.

Still, one could help. I put about 3.7 gigs on the virtual machine (that was the only thing I was told to do) to use it from my hardware. Didn't help, since I guess your correct, it should be the video card that's the problem. So, any idea how to make the virtual PC use the Video card? :confused:

Anyhoo, this isn't really the right forum/thread for me to talk about this. Sorry :o

Sam

rbt
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
seems like a very good deal but It's way over my budget

billyzelsnack
09-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I run it on Win7. The trick I needed to use to get it to work was running it on compatibility for Vista (Service Pack 2).

billyzelsnack
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
The promotion ended awhile ago, but I just got a mail from them about a "Refer-a-Friend” promotion that allows someone to still buy it for $99. If anyone is interested I'll do the refer for you.

sam
10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I run it on Win7. The trick I needed to use to get it to work was running it on compatibility for Vista (Service Pack 2).

That's weird, I tried that like 4 times... I guess I'll try again later. lol

Sam