PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Loki, a 4 foot 40lb robot

dshinsel
09-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi All,
Connor ran across the videos of my robot, Loki, that I just posted on YouTube, and he suggested I post a notice here.

Loki has vision processing and can track faces, recognize objects, etc. His arms can lift a full coke can, and I am working on getting him to open the 'fridge. He has mapping and navigation capability, some basic AI, etc.

To find out more, search YouTube for "Loki Robot", and go to my website (documentation and source code posted) at www.dshinsel.com (http://www.dshinsel.com)

Hope you like him!

-- Dave Shinsel

Zenta
09-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Hi,

Thats awesome work on your Loki! I watched all your vids, very entertaining and interesting to see what you've accomplished.

Btw, did you remove all the thresholds in your house for Loki?

sam
09-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Very nice project !!

Sam

DresnerRobotics
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Absolutely incredible work! Seeing the video of it in action blew me away, I cannot wait to see more!

You should definitely enter this in our next round of Project Contests!

jes1510
09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow! I really love the clean mechanical layout.

Macro Man
09-19-2009, 04:46 AM
Some great robots on your web site! Helmetbot rocks, and Loki (obviously). Really nice work. :)

One question, why the choice of steppers and toothed belts for Loki? Wouldn't DC motors be much more energy efficient and more resistant to bumps etc knocking the steppers off posiiton?

dshinsel
09-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi Macro Man,
Re: "why the choice of steppers and toothed belts for Loki? Wouldn't DC motors be much more energy efficient and more resistant to bumps etc knocking the steppers off posiiton?"

Yes, you are right. I started with some stepper motors I got in a surplus ER1 kit, but ran into exactly that problem... carpet, etc. would cause the steppers to glitch. Also, they were noisy.

I switched to Pitman motors, and they work great. I will update my web site in the next week or so, and add lots of new pictures, including the new Pitman motors.

-- Dave Shinsel

SystemDefect
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
:( DOD says I can't watch Youtube :(

Pi Robot
10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Wow! Really nice job! In fact, Loki might just be the most sophisticated robot I have seen outside of Sony Labs and Willow Garage. Looking forward to more updates! BTW, are you using GPS to store waypoints for navigation? Or perhaps some form of visual landmark recognition?

--patrick

http://www.pirobot.org