PDA

View Full Version : New Book! Programming Interactivity (July 09) Purchased!

nagmier
09-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I have ordered a copy of Programming Interactivity by Joshua Noble (http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596154158/)

I ordered it from SFE today, I went by my local brick n mortars last weekend and couldn't locate a copy so instead of waiting for one locally I ordered a copy. While I think the up front cost is a little on the steep side if its anything like the 30 or so other O'Reilly books I own it will pay it back in spades (not to mention the current price tag @ SFE is below MSRP) O'Reilly does offer a PDF download for a reduced rate.

From O'Reilly

Description
Make cool stuff. If you're a designer or artist without a lot of programming experience, this book will teach you to work with 2D and 3D graphics, sound, physical interaction, and electronic circuitry to create all sorts of interesting and compelling experiences -- online and off. Programming Interactivity explains programming and electrical engineering basics, and introduces three freely available tools created specifically for artists and designers: Processing, Arduino, and OpenFrameworks.

I can't wait to get the book along with more toys from SFE I'll let you all know how the book is in case anyone else is interested. After rereading that looks a bit like an advertisement... Hope this isn't out of context, I am in no way associated with either SFE or O'Reilly tho I am a huge fanboy :P If it is please mods feel free to trim/cut as needed.

I was contemplating if there was significant interest writing a review of the book and publishing it for the "community".

Adrenalynn
09-21-2009, 03:39 AM
[Moved to "Programming" - seems a better fit here.]

sam
09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Looks interesting.

Once you get a feel for it, tell us what you think about it. And show us some of the things you will do with it. :)

Sam

jes1510
09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
You may also want to look at "Making Things Talk". It also uses the Arduino and Processing. You can toss Processing out the window for it's real usefulness but the concepts in the book are pretty handy.