PDA

View Full Version : Interface existing security system

a1programmer
09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
For my home automation project, I want to start by seeing if I can use my house's existing security system. It has a Honeywell keypad, but that's about all I know. The unit housing the board is within easy wiring reach of my PC, and in the unfinished part of my basement (< 20 feet away). I suppose there could be some encryption going on between the keypad and the actual board.

I hope to be able to emulate the keypad with some sort of serial I/O connection from my PC, but may just end up using the sensors with my phidgets controller. I have 3 motion sensors, sensors on the doors, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Adrenalynn
09-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Are the sensors wired or wireless?

You need to go open up the actual panel's box and get some info off the board itself. The keypad really doesn't tell us much, it's the controller that is of interest.

if this system is under contract with one of the Big Boys you need to back away slowly now, and read your contract. If it's one of the Big Boy's systems, you don't own it - they do. And if you mess with it that way you're in for a hundred miles of Bad Road. They can terminate your contract and you owe the remainder on it - and if you mess anything up, believe me they won't hesitate to do exactly that.

a1programmer
09-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks a lot! I've actually been a member for a long time, but I never got around to posting anything. haha.

The sensors are wired.

I'll get the info from the controller this evening, for sure... As far as being under contract, I don't think so. We told the builder we wanted a security system installed, and they put it in. I'm assuming they bought it out right (well, we bought it), etc. It's not monitored, but has a local shop's sticker on it ("Call Bob's security 555-555-5555 to activate"). However, I'll look through the paperwork just to be sure.

Adrenalynn
09-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Glad to see you "delurk"!

Sounds like you're pretty safe. That being the case, yeah, make and model number on the controller tells the whole story. I've done a lot of security systems, so it's likely I even have the installer docs around for it.

a1programmer
09-23-2009, 08:20 AM
:)

Great. :) I was going to look at it earlier in the week, but I completely forgot. I've had a lot going on lately. Now I can't wait to get home and check it out, although I have to work for another 7 hours or so. :-/

I'm also wanting to start a robotic mower / (push-mower conversion kit) project, so I plan on starting a new thread soon.

a1programmer
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Alrighty, it appears to be an Ademco Vista 15PSIA. There's a sticker on (what appears to be) the CPU that says Honeywell, WA15PSIA-6.1.

I was able to find this: http://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/control/bu/ad/14957.html

What do you think ?

Adrenalynn
09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Does the board [controller] have the Vista ICM RJ45 network jack on it? If it does, you may be able to go straight TCP-IP to its onboard web-server.

The keypad wiring on those is Data In : Green, Aux Power (GND) : Black, Aux Power + : Red, Data Out : Yellow

The protocol, as far as I know, for the keypads is unpublished. So a logic analyzer and reverse engineering experience would probably be required. Or some good Google KungFu maybe.

a1programmer
09-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Nope, definitely no network jack.

Is it possible to use the sensors with a phidgets controller ?

I wonder if it's worth messing with this controller at all. I could possibly borrow some of the tools from a co-worker to mess with it, however.