PDA

View Full Version : Xbee Adapter discussion

LinuxGuy
09-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Don't quote me, but if I were a betting girl, I'd bet in the $100 neighborhood, plus the cost of the XBee. I'd guess, out the door, you're in the < $150 neighborhood. You'll also need something like the XBee Explorer for the PC-side of the communications link. Let's see:... Two of these (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5200-XBee-1mW-Communication-Module.aspx) and one of these: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5828-XBee-Explorer-USB.aspx

Yes, the comprehensive kit is the absolute deal. You _want_ all those brackets - Yeah verily NEED all those brackets (don't I know - pout).

I think if it were me and I had cash-in-hand, I'd give Andrew a call at Trossen Robotics and _demand_ he put me on the list to get one of the first boards, then fling some money at him, if I were worried about backorder issues.

In my life-experiences, I've noticed that companies love pre-orders/pre-sales. It gives them some positive cashflow against future sales and also helps them gauge future potential market reaction.

** Note: I don't work for Trossen. All of this is educated speculation...

For XBee, you may want to consider one of these adapters (http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=126) instead of the one from Sparkfun. These look more robust, and you could use the same one for PC as well as robotics in general.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
09-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Naked un-stress-relieved pins look more robust than a commercial microUSB plug?

Nokia, Motorola, Erikson, Apple, Google, etal - I'd expect given a few billion plus consumer devices they'd have found the more robust option by now, wouldn't you?

LinuxGuy
09-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Naked un-stress-relieved pins look more robust than a commercial microUSB plug?
Compare the Sparkfun adapter to the one from Adafruit, feature for feature. I'll take the one from Adafruit.

For the experimenter and general robotics use, I stand by my recommendation.

8-Dale

jes1510
09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
The one from Sparkfun is a great product. I have been using it for quite a long time. It's a great board and you don't need the TTL cable.

Don't get me wrong, I like Adafruit quite a bit as a company but I still recommend the Sparkfun adapter. What does the Adafruit one do that the Sparkfun one doesn't do?

lnxfergy
09-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Dale, I'm not following your logic. The XBEE explorer (I'm thinking this is what your referring to as "the sparkfun" module) has USB output integrated right in, something like $19. Add an FTDI USB->serial adapter to the $10 board you listed, and you'll be up to $25-30. The ArbotiX has a 3.3V regulator, and an XBEE socket right on the board, you don't need any adapter, hence, the XBEE explorer is perfect if you're only connecting ArbotiX->XBEE->PC.

-Fergs

LinuxGuy
09-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Dale, I'm not following your logic. The XBEE explorer (I'm thinking this is what your referring to as "the sparkfun" module) has USB output integrated right in, something like $19.
Yes, the XBee Explorer USB is $24.95. If you aren't already using an FTDI cable or adapter, the XBee Explorer USB would be a better way to go for PC use. I already have an FTDI adapter I use with my Sanguino, so the Adafruit adapter works well for what I want/need to do - either for PC access to XBee or to put it right on a robot. The two adapters are just a bit different and serve different ways of doing things. :happy:

I was thinking of the XBee Regulated adapter, instead of the Explorer USB when I said the Adafruit adapter is more robust. That really was not a good comparison.

ArbotiX has a 3.3V regulator, and an XBEE socket right on the board, you don't need any adapter, hence, the XBEE explorer is perfect if you're only connecting ArbotiX->XBEE->PC.
It's really cool seeing controllers come out that already have a place for XBee units. I'm planning to add XBee to all my robots.

8-Dale

DresnerRobotics
09-24-2009, 02:40 AM
I was thinking of the XBee Regulated adapter, instead of the Explorer USB when I said the Adafruit adapter is more robust. That really was not a good comparison.

Isn't the Sparkfun Xbee Regulated Adapter and the Adafruit Adapter essentially the same exact thing, except that the Sparkfun uses SMD components and comes pre-assembled for the same price?

LinuxGuy
09-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Isn't the Sparkfun Xbee Regulated Adapter and the Adafruit Adapter essentially the same exact thing, except that the Sparkfun uses SMD components and comes pre-assembled for the same price?
The XBee Regulated Adapter from Sparkfun doesn't have a level shifting chip on it for both serial in and serial out pins, but the Adafruit adapter does. The Adafruit adapter voltage regulator also handles up to 250mA.

8-Dale

DresnerRobotics
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I've found the Xbees are perfectly 5v tolerant on their TTL. And for what it's worth; they don't spec the regulator on the Xbee regulated, but it handled the 900mhz super long range Xbee Pro XSC (which has a 256ma draw) without flinching or even getting warm.

Just saying, given the same price and it coming as a more compact prebuilt option from Sparkfun, I'll take the Sparkfun one.

KurtEck
09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Dale,

I am also in the process of experimenting with XBee stuff. I am converting the DIY remote control that Robot Dude (Jim) built to use an XBEE instead. I have it limping along...

I have tried several different adapters, which include:
AppBee-SIP from Selmaware: http://www.selmaware.com/appbee/index.htm
Works fine, but BIG, but can also hook up to the PC if you have a PROP plug.

I also have around one of the Sparkfun USB, which I first purchased to maybe be able to flash updates on the XBEES, but for some reason had problems trying this.

So I also have a DIGI USB card that was recommended by selmaware for PC use. It has the reset button that you X-CTU sometimes suggest you hit. You can get those at Digi-Key: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=XBIB-U-ND

However I wanted something smaller so I did purchase a couple of the sparkfun ones: XBEE regulated explorers, which I now have one currently mounted on my Old Brat, soon to mount the second one on my MechBrat. I had concerns at first about the level shifting, but I think the sparkfun one does some with a diode, resistor and pull-up resistor on the XBEE. As was described in the thread: http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?t=5447&start=20. So far it appears to work.

Kurt