PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Omniduino - Tomy Omnibot hack!

Pinter75
10-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Howdy,

I recently got another Omnibot to add to my growing collection on eBay for all of 99p :-)

As with most of these 25 year old bots, they are missing their remotes. So this one was pulled apart, resprayed, new stickers designed and a new front panel and control gear setup using an Ardunio.

The front panel is made of plasticard (Styrene sheet). To make the buttons seem like membrane ones, I designed a panel, printed it onto inkjet vinyl sticker sheet. Used my craft robo to cut it out, then laminated it. The lamination is only on the front side, so it can be stuck onto the plasticard.

Buttons were affixed to the plasticard and the sticker panel attached to this. When you press the panel, the button gets pressed and hey presto, you have a neat looking button panel.

The Arduino has an ultrasonic sensor and LCD feedback screen. The code is pretty dumb, it will do a right turn when encontering an object < 30cms away.

The rest of the Omnibot was washed and sprayed in gloss white acrylic. New stickers applied and the old red leds replaced with blue ones for the eyes.

Here it is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFepG48hhw

LinuxGuy
10-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Nice work! This week, I am getting parts to build an ArduBot I have named A.R.T.I.E. Parts (and my BeagleBoard) arrive Wednesday! His controller will be a standard Arduino USB board until I build the WiseDuino (has a battery backed RTC and some external EEPROM).

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice work! This week, I am getting parts to build an ArduBot I have named A.R.T.I.E. Parts (and my BeagleBoard) arrive Wednesday! His controller will be a standard Arduino USB board until I build the WiseDuino (has a battery backed RTC and some external EEPROM).

8-Dale

Cool, but how about we talk about "Omniduino" in the Omniduino thread?

Pinter - good to see new life (and new tech) given to some of these classics!

jstarne1
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm doing a Omnibot 2000 rebuild and upgrade to all modern electronics, servos, motors and additional abilities.