PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Mech-Zeus/ Axon

rebel
10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Finally got to do some work on my robot. Making it after the battletech mech Zeus. Making using a papermech I found, thing looks real cool. Using HSR-5980sg's for servos. Some Lynxmotion parts for joints. Using servocity chain and sprockets to add some power. Bigbluesaw is cuting out some pieces for me. Will add pics as I make progress. :)

Had to scrap my first try, the mech(riffleman) was way to heavy. :(

Included is a QCAD pic of my bot and a pic of the papermech.

jes1510
10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Very cool! Care to share some technical details?

rebel
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Using 5 servos in each leg. Trying 10 tooth sprockets on the servos and 20 tooth sprockets on the joints. All the servos that are using the chain drive, are set for 180 degrees. Using one servo for torso twist, and one servo for each arm, just up and down for them. I just cut down my airsoft defenders. Trying to machine them so they will fit right. Currently working with the SOR walking program they have on there web site. Using 7.4 lipos for power for now. Do not have a camera yet, or any sensors yet. Thats about it. :)

Suicidal.Banana
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
thats one sweet paper bot, good luck on the build

sam
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Using 5 servos in each leg. Trying 10 tooth sprockets on the servos and 20 tooth sprockets on the joints. All the servos that are using the chain drive, are set for 180 degrees. Using one servo for torso twist, and one servo for each arm, just up and down for them. I just cut down my airsoft defenders. Trying to machine them so they will fit right. Currently working with the SOR walking program they have on there web site. Using 7.4 lipos for power for now. Do not have a camera yet, or any sensors yet. Thats about it. :)

First off, this 'bot is awesome! Really good job!

So, with a 1:2 reduction, you get 90 degrees of rotation at the joint and half the speed of the HS-5980 with double the torque? So like 60 kg-cm with 0.28 sec/60 deg and 90 degree range?

For the range, most joints don't need 180 degrees (depending on how you decide to make it walk), but isn't the speed a bit of an issue? The slowest servo I know is the AX-12+ at 7 volts (0.269sec/60) or at 10 volts (0.196sec/60). And a 1:2 5980 is still slower.

I would have to say that 60 kg-cm of torque could be very practical! :)

Anyway, tell me how well that works for you and if you have the time for a video it would be appreciated!

Great work again, it looks superb.

Sam

mannyr7
10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I wanted to go this route too, but a big ol' 3"x3" target plate front and rear will quickly 'ugly up' a sweet mech design such as this. Maybe a mech with rocket launcher boxes to house the target plates? Nice work, btw!

societyofrobots
10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Currently working with the SOR walking program they have on there web site.
Just an FYI, I'm working on a much better v3 of the biped engine. I just need to find some free time to clean it up and make it user friendly before I post it. Give me a few weeks and you'll see it here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/sor_biped_engine.shtml

Also, send me an email when you got some stuff to show. I'd definitely like to see your bot! =)

rebel
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Almost got all my parts in. Just waiting for my parts from bigbluesaw.
Here are some pics of what I got so far. :p

societyofrobots
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Wow thats a lot of stuff! How much did you spend?

What are those shocks for?

I just got a lot of my biped parts in this morning myself, and was thinking of taking a pic of it all too . . .

sam
10-24-2009, 01:44 PM
What are those shocks for?

I was thinking the same thing.

this is impressive, but I still don't quite see how you are going to implement those sprockets to gear the servo down. Especially since you have some of Lynxmotion's SES brackets. Are the 1:2 reduction servos for high stress joints or all of them?

xx2747
10-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Holy Cow, that's alotta stuff!
My jaw just dropped from seeing those servos.
Anyway, how many DoF are you planning on having on your robot?
I'm building a custom biped too, and was wonndering - how much did it cost for your order from bigbluesaw?

rebel
10-25-2009, 08:07 AM
The shocks are extra stuff, I do allot of RC racing too.
I got enough chain and sprockets to do all the leg joints if need be.
Gonna try the three major joints first and go from there.
Not really sure if i want to tell anyone how the the servo to joints are gonna work with the chain and sprockets, took allot of research and time to get it where I was confident that it was going to work.
Want to get it built as well to make sure that it will work the way I want. Do not want to misslead any one if it does not work.
I spent arround 400 on all my parts at BigBlueSaw. Keep in mind that the mech will be a tad over 30 inches tall though.
The legs will have 10 or 12 DOF, gotto see how well he walks before I make that choice(might need 12 to make him walk good).
One servo for torso twist and one in each arm to bring arms up and down.
:p

darkback2
10-25-2009, 09:52 AM
As for "miss leading people" Your taking the financial hit so that we can learn. Thats sort of the way it works.

This seams like a really cool project. I can't wait to see it in battle.

DB

rebel
10-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I actually have parts from my last robot that did not turn out to good.
Made one that was close to what a riffleman looked like from battletech, but was way to heavy.
So not all the parts will go to this one.
That is why I am trying the chain and sprocket idea.
Will have some pics up of the legs when i get the parts from BBS.

sam
10-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Will have some pics up of the legs when i get the parts from BBS.

Hummmm... robot legs...

Zenta
10-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi,

Interesting project!
I'm wondering, where did you bought the extra bottom plate (like the one used for the 5990TG) for the servos?

Looking forward to see you custom BigBlueSaw parts.

-Zenta

rebel
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Those bottoms came with the servos, they come with standard bottoms and the ones you see in the pic.

rebel
11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Got my parts from BBS. Will post pics tommarow. Hopefully of some stuff going together too. :D

rebel
11-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Got a leg almost done. Just the main parts, none of the parts for looks yet. :p

gdubb2
11-08-2009, 12:36 PM
This is really looking interesting. I sure hope it works out as good as it looks like it should.
Good Luck
Gary

rebel
11-08-2009, 01:58 PM
The parts are going together very well. The chain drive can be a challange. All joints have full range of motion. So my hopes are high. :p

darkback2
11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Pics? Video? I can't wait to see this thing stomping around!

DB

rebel
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Got apic on previous page, more to come :D

rebel
11-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Finally putting body together.

societyofrobots
11-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Looking at your last images . . . looks like it'll be very tall! Heck, mine will probably fit inside the cockpit of yours . . .

rebel
11-15-2009, 01:01 PM
A robot driving a robot, nice :P

rebel
11-21-2009, 10:16 AM
SOR, when is that sequencer for the axon coming out :P.
I am horable with the programing lol :(

societyofrobots
11-21-2009, 10:24 AM
SOR, when is that sequencer for the axon coming out :P.
I am horable with the programing lol :(
As soon as I have a biped to test it out on!

I finished most of the parts of my biped yesterday . . . except I accidentally drilled some of the holes too big for screws so I need to redo a bunch this week . . .

In short, I'm finishing up the mechanical side and moving to software, and I'll publish it as soon as I can. You definitely aren't the only one waiting for it!

rebel
11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Awsome :d