PDA

View Full Version : Autonomous Mech Thread

xdream
10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi,

I know several of you are interested in building an autonomous or semi-autonomous Mech for the upcoming RoboGames in April.

I am starting this thread to have a place for discussions about challenges/ideas/solutions in and around the problem of how to build an autonomous robot that can compete.

I do not have a name yet but plan to enter a fully autonomous biped mech using a Lynxmotion BRAT.

Here is a youtube link to a Lynxmotion Rover that I put a CMUcam2+ head on that does color tracking. That work is the basis for the auto targeting system that I am developing for the competition.

YouTube - Lynxmotion Rover Robot autonomous tracking RC car

My goal is to enter a fully autonomous mech but if that proves to be too challenging then I may have to modify the design to be human piloted with auto-targeting (and manual firing).

My personal passion is developing fully autonomous machines that can work in a wide range of envioronments.

Mark

xdream
10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I would like this to be a thread where everyone feels comfortable sharing ideas with no fear of being judged! "stupid ideas" someimes pave the way to great innovation!

xdream
11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I have made good progress on X-BRAT. Here is some video. I have him shooting now but don't have a video of that yet...

YouTube - XBRAT3 Autonomous Mech Warfare Robot Build Progress

JonHylands
11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Pretty impressive - nice to see a biped mech walking...

- Jon

JonHylands
11-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I would like this to be a thread where everyone feels comfortable sharing ideas with no fear of being judged! "stupid ideas" someimes pave the way to great innovation!

By the way, there's absolutely no need to feel that way. I'm all about autonomous robots, and if I ever had time, I would definitely be building an autonomous mech.

- Jon

xdream
11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks!

Now that I have the mech shooting and walking (you can see him fall over at the end of the video but I was just goofing around) the fun part of the autonomous programming begins.....

Mark

nagmier
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Looking good! Glad to see mechs starting to come together :)

xdream
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Here is a short video X-BRAT shooting...I just got the guns hooked up yesterday. This is just a demonstration video not intended to model combat!!!

Mark

YouTube - X-BRAT Shooting at close range Lynxmotion Mechwarrior Mech Warfare Guns Fire

DresnerRobotics
11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Here is a short video X-BRAT shooting...I just got the guns hooked up yesterday. This is just a demonstration video not intended to model combat!!!

Mark

YouTube - X-BRAT Shooting at close range Lynxmotion Mechwarrior Mech Warfare Guns Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfX-o_YM_mw)

Great to see you making progress!

xdream
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks Andy...I can't wait until I try to hit targets autonomously...then moving targets.....coming soon! Hope this week.

Adam
11-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Sweet little mech! Looks like a lot of fun. :D

darkback2
11-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Cool progress.

Have you done a payload test? Just wondering what the draw is under full load? Also, any plans to put the batteries in the feet? seams like you could do a custom jobber to meet the power requirements.

DB

xdream
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes...My next video which is uploading now has 'near' full payload in the video...I have tested more then full payload by adding even more weight to the turret with no problems...I just don't have time to tune the code yet.

Yes..I also have plans to move the lipo's to the feet but will only do so if I run into weight distribution problems. I have not done formal current draw measurments yet but I strongly suspect by the current behavior that it will not be an issue.

I'm currently using Thunder Power Extreme 20C 3S 2250maH packs that I modified to 2S. I stole them from my T-Rex heli....these lipo's are really light and have enormous power delivering a full 20C. For this application it is overkill. I was thinking of putting a single cell in each foot which will be adventagous all around except for the extra 1/4-1/2 inch height to the bot.

I will post the video of him shooting targets with full ammo hoppers as soon as it is done uploading but he can carry more then my projected all up weight with no problems even with 'big' steps.

Mark

xdream
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Here are some more pics of X-Brat

sthmck
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I was wondering something. What types of sensors are you using for this mech to make it autonomous? Right now I have several IR sensors on my mech that allow me to avoid buildings and stuff while driving it myself. Are you planning on doing something similar to that but just making it fully autonomous? How are you going to detect other mechs/their target plates. I just thought I would ask since you said you were near full load on it but I didn't see that many sensor inputs on board. Thanks

DresnerRobotics
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
How much does that head weigh?

xdream
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
That head is just under 200 grams and it walks and shoots just fine withe the full ammo hoppers PLUS the head. I tried to shoot a video but I only had the heavy head stick taped on and it fell off...my next shooting video is next.

I have several lighter heads but was using this one as a test load. I will likely make it fully functional for a terminator style robot but not for the competetion

xdream
11-02-2009, 02:10 PM
sthmck- if you look at the beginning of this thread you will see a youtube video of X-Rover which is an autonomos robot I designed using CMUcam2+ for part of the vision system. X-BRAT will aquire the targeting info from the camera that you see as the head on X-Rover.

There will also be several other sensors on the robot.

Keep in mind this is a test robot..I have all the parts to build my competition X-BRAT which will be running all digital servo's (5990's) as well as a more ridged fram using the double sided mounting nuts on the 5990's so I will gain more precision, more frame ridgidity, and 2x the torque.

The current X-BRAT is running all 645 analog servos and is working so far!

I plan to work the bugs out of the code by having one X-BRAT under my control and a second X-BRAT fully autonomous.

If I can cheaply replicate the scoring system then I could even have my own Mech Warfare in my kitchen!

Mark

xdream
11-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Here is a video of X-Brat taking down 5 targets under human control. If you notice for some reason it shot a blank on the second to last shot so it took 2 shots to take down the last target. I also missed once.

As far as load goes...there are about 900 rounds on each shoulder so I have enough ammo for both guns to be able to fire one shot/sec for the full 15min!!!

I tested additional pay load by affixing the 200gm skull head on top and it walks and shoots fine.

I sill need to add a dedicated gun tilt mechanim as the waist tilt will not be sufficient for the auto targeting system.

Mark

YouTube - XBRAT shooting 2 Mech Warrior Shooting with near full load

Sopzman
11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow Mark, I'm really impressed! Not only is that a huge inspiration for people just starting out, but you did that in a very short time!

xdream
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks Sopzman...a lot of credit should to to Jim and the gang at Lynxmotion who helped pave the way with the BRAT kit and Mech tutorial. I'm hoping the biggest part of my contibution will be in making the BRAT fully autonomous and able to compete in 2010 Mech Warfare!!!

Part of my goal was to inspire others to give a try at building a 'low' cost robot that is competition worthy. Jim's goal is to get it under $1000 total cost. My competition bot will be all digital but what you see here are the 645 analog servos...they seem to be doing quite well.

mark

mannyr7
11-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I sill need to add a dedicated gun tilt mechanim as the waist tilt will not be sufficient for the auto targeting system.

Mark

I thought the same thing, so I added another servo for head tilt and tweaked the BRAT Mech code.
http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5224&start=120#p55082

xdream
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks Manny...I was JUST looking at some of your Clyde vids to see what you did...I'm going to do it in a slightly different way. Appreciate your code post too!

You can see my full X-BRAT thread here:

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5587

Thanks again!

Mark

Hey...will Clyde be competing this year?

Adrenalynn
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Part of my goal was to inspire others to give a try at building a 'low' cost robot that is competition worthy. Jim's goal is to get it under $1000 total cost.

Last year's gold-medal winning bot can be built for around $700, open sourced, open design...

Just sayin'...

xdream
11-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow...that is a good deal...does that include everything like the camera and xbee? Is it a quad or biped?
Mark

lnxfergy
11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Issy was a 2DOF quad, with a gun tilt servo. The tutorial is posted here: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/build-articles-130/build-your-own-issydunnyet-3257/

As for parts list (I probably need to update the one in the tutorial a bit):

9 AX-12 Servos ($44 each) and a Bioloid Comprehensive Frame Kit ($99). The only part this doesn't include is the center bracket, but I'm told by Tyberius, that it should be individually available shortly for a few dollars (it's normally included with the CM-5, not the frame kit) -- total frame parts = $500
ArbotiX robocontroller + 2 XBEEs + XBEE explorer + ISP (the starter kit) -- $189
Trendnet Camera - $70 (Wait for it to be on sale on Amazon)
Tank Gun - $10
11.1V 2000mAh Lipo - $30
A few pieces of scrap metal (or $10 worth of alum from Lowes/HD) and some hardware (details in tutorial) -- shouldn't total more than $30

$700 sans camera and guns, but for around $800, give or take a little bit on the hardware stuff, you've got a full XBEE/AVR-controlled Bioloid system. I used a PC to control Issy, with a cheap $15 joystick. The same parts list would also get you a 4DOF biped -- such as my Reaver design.

I've also since updated the software a few times, so the open source Issy 2DOF is actually better than what you see in the videos at RG (I had some silly errors in there, mainly related to vagueness in the AX-12 manual, but hey, it was the first walking bot I had ever built, and I built in about 2.5 weeks).

-Fergs

xdream
11-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Cool...thanks for all the great info...I'm obviously going to stick to the design I have now but can't wait to see the other bots in action!

I think I have my pan/tilt problem figured out and after X-BRAT gets a hardware upgrate I'll see how he does at targeting...can't wait!

Adrenalynn
11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
So does that change the goal of affordability to targeting under $250?

xdream
11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I guess I could have been more clear...Jim's goal is to get it under $1000..my goal is to make one that is autonomus without the price ceiling but still fairly low cost.

Part of my goal was to inspire others to give a try at building a 'low' cost robot that is competition worthy. Jim's goal is to get it under $1000 total cost. My competition bot will be all digital but what you see here are the 645 analog servos...they seem to be doing quite well.

mark

xdream
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Latest Pic of X-BRAT

Robot Dude
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
In my defense I made the under $1000.00 goal very early into the original BRAT Mech project. We didn't know what hurdles we would need to overcome. The true cost would be $579.57. It's also open source and open design...

PS2Autonomous BRAT with 645 servo upgrade = $458.80
Turret with gun and camera mounts = $80.79
Gun relays = $39.98
Total minus batteries, camera and guns. $579.57

Not sure what the relevance is in comparing a Biped and Quadruped costs... But regardless, BRAT Mech is affordable. Probably also worth mentioning here is the battery requirements for BRAT Mech are not as demanding as a Quad or (more DOF) bipeds.

Also it's made with off the shelf components. No hand made parts or mixing parts from more expensive kits.

Another way to compare the prices...

The PS2 BRAT with servo upgrade is $458.80

9 x AX-12 ($44.00) = $396.00

So for $62.80 more you get the entire biped robot compared to just some servos.

Just sayin'...

JonHylands
11-03-2009, 09:19 AM
After seeing your videos, I'd be inclined to think that a BRAT-sized Bioloid would be a good fit, for those of us who use Bioloids and already have a kit...

After the robot games here are over (late November), I'm going to try and put one together, just to see how well it works.

- Jon

xdream
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Awesome...Can't wait to see what a Bioloid Biped can do!

Robot Dude
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Moved these comments to the above post to hopefully avoid confusion.

JonHylands
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, I wasn't suggesting anyone go and buy a Bioloid kit to do this - but there are some people, like myself, that already have a full Bioloid kit, and thus can build a biped like this for nothing using what we already have.

- Jon

Robot Dude
11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, I wasn't suggesting anyone go and buy a Bioloid kit to do this - but there are some people, like myself, that already have a full Bioloid kit, and thus can build a biped like this for nothing using what we already have.

- Jon

Wasn't replying to you Jon.

lnxfergy
11-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Another way to compare the prices...

The PS2 BRAT with servo upgrade is $458.80

9 x AX-12 ($44.00) = $396.00

So for $62.80 more you get the entire biped robot compared to just some servos.

But you can get a Bioloid Frame kit, with piles of brackets, wires, and all the hardware for $99. (granted, no battery). And, you have a pile of extra brackets, and could build nearly everything under the sun (that uses only 9 servos).

All I was saying is: for <$1000, you've got a lot of options (the BRAT isn't the only option out there, but it would be the easiest for someone who is not inclined to spend time designing something slightly unique). Just sayin...

After seeing your videos, I'd be inclined to think that a BRAT-sized Bioloid would be a good fit, for those of us who use Bioloids and already have a kit...

After the robot games here are over (late November), I'm going to try and put one together, just to see how well it works.

- Jon

Jon, you might be interested in taking a look at Reaver (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3589) (I know, no guns yet, but I've got too many other projects at the moment). Also, I'll probably be bringing him to CNRG.

-Fergs

xdream
11-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Reaver looks cool!!! Do you have any video of him walking?

lnxfergy
11-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Reaver looks cool!!! Do you have any video of him walking?

The video in the thread shows him taking a few steps. I only spent about 7-10 minutes making that gait... so it's not so hot (I was quickly getting something up since several people wanted to see him in action). After CNRG (3 weeks from now), I'll be done tuning the crud out of IssyFF, then I can focus on my other bots such as Reaver and Sally.

-Fergs

xdream
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Awesome..thx.

On a side note...is there interest in renaming, or moving part of this thead to either a dedicated BRAT or mini-biped thread? Sounds like there is not enough interest to focus on only the autonomous aspects...

Mark

sthmck
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I dont think that is needed. There are already several threads on brat based mechs. We should stop getting off track on this thread though. Sorry about that. Honestly I think that there will be more discussion on autonomy once you show it successfully working. Right now my guess is that there are going to be a lot of skepitcal people just waiting to see it done. If you can get it working I think there will be more people interested in it. Right now there seems to be a lot of interest in the actual platform for the mech, not how it is being controlled. I think that there are going to be people that are always pushing the envelope on mech development. The crazier the idea the more skeptical everyone else is going to be. Right now Lynxmotion is trying to do that, Mike is trying to do it, and so are you. The route taken maybe different, hopefully we all end up at the same place. With mechs ready to compete against each other. Keep up the good work.

darrellt
11-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Your mech looks awsome! I am building a similar brat-based mech, so its great that there will be someone in my league to battle. I am also trying to go the autonomous route, but i am attempting to use an android cellphone as the brain. I just recently got the mechanical stuff more or less done. I expect it to take a lot of hours of programing to get machine-vision working on a cellphone, but hopefully you will have at least a rudimentary autonomous brat to compete against.

xdream
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
That is great news! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Do you have any current pics of your mech that you could share?

Mark

xdream
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Never mind...found the pics in the gallary...

darrellt
11-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Mark-

There are details of my bot in the thread titled A BRAT based Mech, "Miss Alignment".

I have a question for you guys based on your experience. Is a 528mhz ARM with 192mb ram enough power to have any hope of doing the machine vision onboard? Or should I abandon that idea and do the video processing on my laptop over wifi?

I am concerned about the amount of lag over the network for off-board vision, but I also don't want to spend a lot of time on the ARM if it does not have the power required for machine vision.

I also was planing to only use video frames from in-between footsteps so that the camera would not be shaking so badly, but this will limit me to 1-2 fps. Do you think that is workable?

lnxfergy
11-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Darrell,

I think it all depends on what you mean by "machine vision". Can you do blob tracking? Definitely. Will some higher level algorithms surely be too much? Definitely, there are plenty of machine vision algorithms that can't run in real-time on a small cluster of high-end PCs.

I think it also comes down to how much of the processing power is taken up by other processes on your phone. I do think though that you'll have a better time with on-board vision than dealing with the network lag.

-Fergs

darrellt
11-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Well the bot has sonar to keep from walking into walls, the phone has a digital compass so I can maintain a rough heading, and an accelerometer so I can tell when I have fallen over. Hopefully this means I will only have to use the camera to find the other bot's post-it note and no edge or distance detection or anything like that. I was planing on just wandering around randomly like a roomba, because SLAM seems like it would add a whole other level of difficulty, though with a compass and the sonar it might be possible.

Adrenalynn
11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I think localizing and mapping would be a challenge with nothing but a dead reckoning compass and a sonar...

A 528Mhz ARM is a pretty beefy CPU. Are you blowing out the phone functionality and installing a scratch-built kernel on there optimized for video? If so, you can probably do a fair bit more on it.

You can do a lot more than blob tracking on it, that's for sure. How much more really comes down to your processing chain and what algorithms you're attempting to implement - and how skilled you are at optimizing them.

I implemented a near-realtime image stabilizer with DV decoder and MPEG2 encoder on a 350Mhz ARM9 some years back.

xdream
11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Please check out my latest Youtube Video of my first FULLY AUTONOMOUS TARGETING and FIRING system. This is hot off the press. There are several shots in the video where it was shooting blanks since I did not have time to put on a proper ammo hopper. Either way I hope you all find this video entertaining.

Also it was hysterical that my wife came down to check it out and happened to be wearing a pink shirt and she got shot in the head from about 10 feet away. It just missed her eye but she is ok and has a welt. I did not do any vertical alignment of the guns so it shot a bit high.....she is not very apprciative and wants me to get the guns tracking better next time! :veryhappy:

Quite a lot of excitment around here....

YouTube- X-Brat Auto Firing Fully Autonomous Shooting!!! Robot Mech Warfare Mechwarrior

Adrenalynn
11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Grats!

If anyone wants a head start to get there - I should have posted this before - http://defconbots.org/defcon15/design_software.php

Defconbots has a pretty robust automated targeting system already done and reference designed with full source code. It tracks white right now, but obviously it's a nice head start to get to whatever color your prefer.

sthmck
11-15-2009, 01:37 PM
That looks awesome. How are you handling navigation, and movement? Do you have anything that will generate movement based on the overall situation in a fight?

xdream
11-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Adrenalynn- Thanks for the link.

I still have a lot of work to go here but just wanted to share my progress with the forum. So far the project is comming together nicely with no 'known' show stoppers. I will continue to post my progress as interesting things develope.

Mark

xdream
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Here is another video with a different ammo hopper...I'm not sure why it still shoots blanks on occasion but I have not put any effort into the way the bb's feed into the gun yet. You can see the ammo hopper fall off at the end as it was only sticky taped to the gun.

It's kind of fun having the targets shot out of your hand on occasion...that is why you seem me jerk my hand away out of fear when I'm picking up a target and I notice that X-BRAT sees it before I have a chance to get my hand way.

Next comes aligning the gun's as well as coding so that It alternates shots between the 2 guns.

For these last 2 videos I was only using one gun.

Mark

YouTube- X-Brat Auto Firing Fully Autonomous Shooting2!!! Robot Mech Warfare Mechwarrior

xdream
11-15-2009, 01:52 PM
That looks awesome. How are you handling navigation, and movement? Do you have anything that will generate movement based on the overall situation in a fight?

Not yet...I haven't got that far in coding it up. I have been happy to get this far. I have most of the way I will do the navigation/tactics combined with the shooting worked out and just need to code it.

At the moment I still have a lot of work to do on the targeting system. Once that is finished I will move on to hunting and evading behavior.

Mark

nagmier
11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Looking Good!!! Thats pretty exciting to see in action

JonHylands
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
That's really nice - one thing to try (probably soon) once you have the gun a little more solid is shooting in different lighting conditions - bright lights, video cameras, sunlight, etc.

Very nice indeed...

- Jon

darkback2
11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Really nice work xdreem...

You may be able to enter in the target shooting as well as mech warfare! Really cool work!

Right now you have it sort of doing a sweep and then it locates and fires...seams like you could almost use a register to just point and shoot?

Cool!

xdream
11-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks Darkback!

The way I have the code now is to begin looking for the target once it is lost. In real combat he will not move his head to search for a new target unless the target is lost. When the target is lost he will try and re-aquire the target. There is a lot of work to do on the code yet like understanding the direction that the target got lost in and look there.

If the target is lost completely then X-BRAT Will enter 'hunting' mode searching for a new target.

I think an autonomous robot has an advantage in the speed of targeting compared to a human, however there is a huge disadvantage in the tactical awareness that humans do so well.

For instance one big problem is that X-BRAT will never actually know if he is hitting the target and can not make corrections to try and adjust the aim if he is slightly off in certain conditions. The scoring system from the Xbee will let him know when he is getting hit and whether it is in the front or back and he will know how to react unter attack, but I can't figure out a way to know if he is being 'successfull' with his hits. That is a major disadvantage.

I'm hoping that posting the progress is giving some people hope that autonomous robots for Mech Warfare are not just a pipe dream....maybe an xdream? :)

Mark

lnxfergy
11-15-2009, 03:21 PM
As for knowing when you are hitting, the 2010 scoring system will consist of:

1. Transponders on each robot that measure hits and send them out
2. The central scoring system will receive data from the transponders -- plus penalties being applied by a human scoring chief. The central scoring system will then broadcast current scores (over a different XBEE channel/PAN than the transponders).
3. This broadcast channel will be published, it's primary purpose is to display scores on remote panels (we'll have little remote scoring panels that incorporates an XBEE, 7-segment displays, and an AVR, that will display YOUR SCORE, THEIR SCORE).

Of course, if you have an extra XBEE (you can't use the transponder one), you could listen to the broadcast channel, and deduce if you're hitting or not.

-Fergs

xdream
11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Fergs,

Wow...that is good news....I may indeed go with a second xbee for this but X-BRAT is so small that I'm concerned about how to fit it all in. The info you posted is extremely useful though as it gives me many more options for coding.

Thanks for the posting this relevant info Fergs!

Mark

lnxfergy
11-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm hoping to have the final specs for the 2010 scoring system up around Christmas/New Years. We're still nailing down details on the actual scoring plates, and I'm working on a new scoring program for the central machine.

-Fergs

societyofrobots
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
xdream, very impressive!

This is where all the non-believers suddenly get afraid and strongly consider a semi-autonomous mech :veryhappy:

Next step, shooting while walking with a noisy (not plain-white) background.

rebel
11-21-2009, 10:58 AM
That is nice work on Autobot!

Adrenalynn
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
xdream, very impressive!

This is where all the non-believers suddenly get afraid and strongly consider a semi-autonomous mech

"semi-autonomous" - you're a year plus too late to scare us with that. We've all been dialing that in.

But, no, not in the least "frightened" for reasons well-hashed.

xdream
11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Were other bots semi autonomous in competition last year? Or are you talking about designing for 2010?

xdream
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Oops..posted this to a thread I didn't mean to originally...reposting here:

FYI-

There has been some discussion on runtime and current draw for the BRAT platform. Without accounting for the Xbee and scoring plates, I'm getting about 0.8 Amps while standing and tracking with the pan/tilt head...while shooting it goes up to about 1.6 amps to run one of the guns. For both guns running at the same time current draw is about 2.4 amps so each gun draws about 0.8 amps.

I'm using Thunder Power Extreme 20C 2S lipo's that I stole from my RC heli. Modified it from a 3-cell pack to a 2 cell pack. Considering the packs can source 50 amps I should get near the full calculated run time of almost 1 hour of continuous shooting with both guns.

I have not tested current draw while walking but I expect it to be around 2.5A as well.

All of these current numbers look encouraging and I expect the final robot to have at least 30min of runtime and possibly closer to 60min depending on how often he is shooting/walking.

I'm very confident I will not have any problems for a 15min match with my current setup.

Mark

lumpen5
11-28-2009, 09:43 PM
For a long time I have sat on the sidelines waiting for the xtra-cool factor to kick in!

After reading this thread and progress and seeing your vids on youtube I am following in your footsteps!

I even signed up for the robogames so maybe we will see each other in combat!

Thanks xdream. Keep up your good work!

xdream
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm glad I could help be an inspiration :)

X-BRAT has been picked up by Gizmodo, BotJunkie, Coolest Gadgets and others with 'interesting' write-ups often plugging Mech Warfare games and Trossen!

The good news is that X-BRAT is continuing to improve and thanks to some simple trig I now have him reliably hitting moving targets at ranges from a few inches to about 10 feet away!

Also..my wife started a website for my bots...the site is under construction but feedback is welcome and appreciated. The site is: http://www.xtremedreamrobotics.com/

Hopefully the sight will be more interesting as it develops...she just got it up yesterday.

Mark
xdream

sam
11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow! This is great work Xdream.

It's coming along. Wonder what it will do in a couple of month.

xdream
11-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks Sam..

If all goes well X-BRAT will be one of the first, if not the first, fully autonomous mech entries....can't wait to see how he does myself!

I'm having lots of fun programming him now...the strategy and tactics are the fun part.

Mark

lumpen5
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Ok, The parts should be here tomorrow! Looking forward to diving in.

I plan on building "up" to autonomous mode, by first creating the tutuorial mech (with guns) from the lynxmotion site. The toyseast site were out of the recommended guns (er barrel mechanisms) and I couldn't find the specs to search the interwebs, so I got these:

http://www.toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp?pdt_id=A09000166

Hopefully they won't be too heavy but at 500g each I am going with the upgraded servos; hs-645

What is the best barrel weight to buy?

Then, once it is walking, firing etc. I plan on switching to trying my hand at autonomous mode. I fgiure this is the best way to proceed, b/c i can eliminate a lot of confusion on my part as to whether any probs would be with the autonomous programming or, the servos, or...etc.

Based on posts in the xrover thread, I went ahead and bought the cmucam for eventual targeting. Might be in over my head on that one though...

I have a load of questions of course, some which may seem ridiculous (such as will the targets in the mech-ware competition be colored, etc.) but I am trolling the boards first to see how many questions I can answer myself first!

Keep the thread going!

DresnerRobotics
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Ok, The parts should be here tomorrow! Looking forward to diving in.

I plan on building "up" to autonomous mode, by first creating the tutuorial mech (with guns) from the lynxmotion site. The toyseast site were out of the recommended guns (er barrel mechanisms) and I couldn't find the specs to search the interwebs, so I got these:

http://www.toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp?pdt_id=A09000166

Hopefully they won't be too heavy but at 500g each I am going with the upgraded servos; hs-645

What is the best barrel weight to buy?

Then, once it is walking, firing etc. I plan on switching to trying my hand at autonomous mode. I fgiure this is the best way to proceed, b/c i can eliminate a lot of confusion on my part as to whether any probs would be with the autonomous programming or, the servos, or...etc.

Based on posts in the xrover thread, I went ahead and bought the cmucam for eventual targeting. Might be in over my head on that one though...

I have a load of questions of course, some which may seem ridiculous (such as will the targets in the mech-ware competition be colored, etc.) but I am trolling the boards first to see how many questions I can answer myself first!

Keep the thread going!

They're more like 80g each, the weight is incorrect on that page.

lumpen5
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Ok got the kit and spent an hour/two hours assembling the skeleton. It really is cool to see a bunch of parts take shape!
Next is installing the electronics uploading software and adjusting the servos. In-laws are in town this week, so first steps will have to come next week.

xdream
12-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Good job...can't wait to hear more! Better yet if you post some pics!
Xdream

lumpen5
12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
here is a pic of the nomous-580 skeleton so far...

The rest of the parts should be here on Friday, so perhaps ai can steal of few hours to this weekend to further the project!

http://robonoob.com/skelb.jpg

darrellt
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
I like the pose in that pic, 'twas good for lulz. Now make him walk up stairs for real!

darrellt
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I saw buy.com has the spykee wifi controlled robot for $120. I bought one to use a target drone for testing.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211907600#moreimg

If there is one thing I have learned from robotics competions in the past is that a team who has many hours of practice can often beat a team with a more advanced robot.

Moderators: I felt it was ok to post this since Trossen does not sell this particular bot.

lumpen5
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Had more time this weekend then I thought. Got the BRAT built. Loaded the servo offset program, then the water bottle kicking autonomous program.

So much fun to watch! Nomous sort of walked a bit like a drunken sailor at first. Then attempted to kick the bottle and wound up on the floor. Curiously, once he fell, he could not seem to regain proper balance at all. A "reboot" (turning off and on the power) cleared any issues and he was off scurrying across the floor.

I will video and post on youtube later tonight after I check out the code and do some tweaking to see if I can get a better gait. I am using the HS-422 servos and I will soon be upgrading to the 645MG servos which I think will give better performace but will require further tweaking of the code I am sure!

The mech barrels should be here on Wednesday. Then I can start a separate project of mounting them to the turret and rewiring the mechanisms.

So far so Good! However, I am sure this is where the hard part begins!

lumpen5
12-14-2009, 11:36 AM
First steps captures on video using the autonomous "water bottle" program. It looks like the right leg is not functioning properly in the walking forward motion. So the BRAT drifts off to the right. It does course correct, but it cannot offset the problem with the right leg. Obvious things to check are the right leg connections, etc. I probably should poke around the code a little too.

Any ideas or things I should look into?

Here is the video

YouTube- Nomous-580 first steps