PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] High School Science Fair Project :D

rkayd
10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey guys!

I am planing on building a humanoid robot for my high school up coming science fair. I was going to do it solo but know that i found you guys i hope you can help me out a bit.:happy:

I have a lot of space and a great camera!!:veryhappy:

nagmier
10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Whats your budget? How much Time do you have? Do you have any robotics experience?

rkayd
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Friday 26 March 2010 at 4:30 pm

I have a little robotics experience but I do have a lot of experience with electronics and computer tech work.

And my budget is not high but i do get a lot of free computer stuff

nagmier
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
The problem your going to run into is your budget most likley... but dont let that dissuade you! There is a great thread about building a "cheap" humanoid somewhere here... I'll dig it up and post back... Good luck!

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3476

Thats a great place to start

sam
10-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Yep, budget is the deciding factor on the humanoid you will do. Having computer stuff is nice, but servos are is the most expensive part.

You have a couple of options. Maybe something like the Boiloid (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/bioloid-robot-kits.aspx) kit which a lot of people seem like. The actuators have a lot of cool features that PWM servos like most of Hitec's servos don't have. It may also be interesting to use the arbotiX for control.

The second option would be to buy some Servo Erector Set brackets (SES) and some Hitec servos to build a humanoid. You can find some info on the Lynxmotion site of what you can build and that could inspire you.

Sam

Adrenalynn
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Any more guidance than "not high"? If you can swing something along the $500-600 line, you should be able to build a biped that walks well.

rkayd
10-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Haha thanks :D

I dont really want to buy a set and then build it because that just feels to...dull???:confused:

I want to design and build all the hardware myself... all i really want it to do is shake hands and pl;ay recordings like... have a cookie or something. I think i have a design i want to go with but im just not sure about the software part :D

correct me if i am wrong :)

sam
10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Haha thanks :D

I dont really want to buy a set and then build it because that just feels to...dull???:confused:

I want to design and build all the hardware myself... all i really want it to do is shake hands and pl;ay recordings like... have a cookie or something. I think i have a design i want to go with but im just not sure about the software part :D

correct me if i am wrong :)

Hum, I understand your feeling about kits, but sometimes it's worth it.

So you want to do the hardware? Any ideas which materials you want to use? Do you have access to a machine shop? If not you could always try to use carbon fiber thought it could be thought to do small pieces, but I think it would make some awesome "armor" while being really light.

Software part, need specifications... what servos will you use? Do you want to make your own electronic circuit? There are a lot of libraries out there to help you piece a program together pretty fast without too much programing knowledge if you buy a board like the arbotiX. There are also some programs that have nice user interfaces (like the Lynxmotion sequencer that I use, really simple and you don't need to know how to program, among others).

Sam

lnxfergy
10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
My 2uF worth: there are two major areas that people are drawn to, the mechanical aspects or the software aspects (the electronics are rarely THAT interesting). Especially for a first robot if you stick to learning one of these aspects, and spending a little extra money on things that make the other ones easy. Then expand your skills as time allows. Be sure to check out the tutorials section of this website.. lots of information (for FREE) in there.

Next: everyone in here has already assumed "humanoid" == 2 legs + torso + 2 arms and a head. I'm that one guy who instantly jumps in that "Johnny 5 is a humanoid... and he had tracks!" Might be worth specifying a bit more what you want to accomplish. Shaking hands == probably big hands to interact with people, that doesn't generally jive well with little bipeds (they also like to fall over).

Lastly: are you doing this for fun, are you gung-ho on winning said science fair? If you're set on winning, what sort of criteria might they judge on? Just a thought, cause often, the software may be an afterthought, but it's what give the robot personality, character, and likability (and medals... hehe).

-Fergs

Just since it's been brought up a few times: the arbotiX is definitely by-programmers/for-programmers. PyPose does allow you to capture and sequence creation, but you currently need to write little programs to run those sequences (There are of course numerous examples, heck the Sketch you install to work with PyPose is full of example code). With the release of PyPose V1.1 later this fall, the amount of programming required should drop.....

rkayd
10-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm really lucky to have all kind of shops and awesome libraries around me!

Because im in a high school i can use:

Drafting and design room
Welding
Auto motive

And theirs always junk car parts i can use and i also have some buddys in welding that i hope can make me some stuff.

I have tones of wacky science teachers that would love to help me out.

P.S.
Im not so worried about the walking part i just want to focus mostly on the upper body :D

elios
10-22-2009, 01:42 AM
walking is going to be hardest, and trying to keep the weight down is the best. if your going for something that requires welding, then a rover base with humanoid torso like the J-5 would be best for you. Weight comes at a price

rkayd
10-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Its not that i think that the legs are easy i just want to put them aside for now
I want to build this thing peace by peace like hand arm and so on....

elios
10-23-2009, 12:56 AM
start small, try and use something like polycarb, cos weight means stronger actuators, which means more weight, etc etc, which ends up being a hefty price tag, and something that struggles to do anything... which then in turn isnt very impressive

but i guess learning is the key to this

rkayd
10-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Yea i defendant know what you mean! Can i use like a hard plastic instead??

OH and i also was reading something about hydrolysis?? what do you think about that?

Shevek
10-23-2009, 02:41 AM
So it sounds like you're looking to build something about the size of a real human? If you're on a low budget, you're going to have issues with motors. What are you planning on using to movethe arms? It sounds like you are looking to make a life seized torso that can move its arms, shake hands, and possibly speak. Am I correct?

rkayd
10-23-2009, 02:55 AM
So it sounds like you're looking to build something about the size of a real human? If you're on a low budget, you're going to have issues with motors. What are you planning on using to movethe arms? It sounds like you are looking to make a life seized torso that can move its arms, shake hands, and possibly speak. Am I correct?

You are right on the money!

sam
10-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi,

There is someone on this forum that did a robot with life size human arms.

Here is the thread :

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3563

Here is a vid on Youtube.

YouTube - Loki Robot - Video 3 (New Arm and Object Recognition)

You could ask him for info. Looks like he used two servo in parallel for the elbow and I don't know for the shoulder.

You could also go check his web site.

rkayd
10-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Yea that looks awesome!!! I watched a lot of his You tube videos. I think im going to start drawing up a plan what auto CAD program should i use?:happy:

elios
10-23-2009, 05:36 PM
solidworks :D

sam
10-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I used Alibre and Rhino and I think for a design like this one Alibre would probably make it easier.

You can get a free trial of Alibre for 30 days than you get to keep the express version for as long as you want. (the express version is still pretty good).

Sam

rkayd
10-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I used Alibre and Rhino and I think for a design like this one Alibre would probably make it easier.

You can get a free trial of Alibre for 30 days than you get to keep the express version for as long as you want. (the express version is still pretty good).

Sam

Okay awesome :D

I cant wait till someone comes up with an awesome shoulder idea :)

Adrenalynn
10-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I cant wait till someone comes up with an awesome shoulder idea :)

Then it sounds like you have your research topic! One awesome shoulder idea even roughly modeled beats building someone elses' work every time.

sam
10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Since your making this bot, you could come up with the idea. :D

Servocity has a lot of gears and sprockets if you want to gear down a motor or they have some servo pre-geared down (but it would be pretty slow). Since weight isn't really an issue for the shoulder joint, you can use bigger motors.

using this alternative you require you knowing how to "make" a servo.

More I think of this the more it's gonna cost you. A motor (50$ for a banebot) gears or sprockets and the motor controller with POT feedback ($$$).

So I guess I'm going to finish with the same sentence I started with;)