PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] DC motor controller question

accelleon
10-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Ok, so I'm planning out a PhidgetSBC based rover, I have a question about the Phidget servo controller connecting to the Sabertooth 2x5 motor driver. The Phidget servo controller has a PWM connector and the Sabertooth has a screw terminal. How would I connect the Sabertooth to the Phidget? Don't criticize me, I'm new to the forum and robot building.

Adrenalynn
10-30-2009, 03:58 AM
If it does have your standard three pin pwm servo connector (I'm not that familiar with the Phidgets).

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3299-Hitec-Servo-Male-Plug.aspx

accelleon
10-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks now all I need to know is where will the wires be connected to on the Sabertooth (the gnd,5v,S1 or S2 terminals). I'm assuming the 3 wires would connect to gnd,5v and S1 I just don't know which wires go to which terminal.

Adrenalynn
10-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Ignore the 5v/red [or orange depending upon the cable] wire entirely. Wire nut it off, cut it off, chew it off... You don't need a BEC here.

Signal (yellow or white depending upon the cable) goes to S1. Black or dark brown (depending upon cable) goes to ground.

I don't know the circuit that is used by the Phidgets, but I suspect you'll want to filter it with a low pass filter.

Look at the documentation for the motor controller here: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/datasheets/Sabertooth2x5.pdf

Check Figure 4.1, pdf page 10 of 19.

accelleon
10-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks alot for your help.

Adrenalynn
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
[curtsey] :)

[message entered too short - grumble grumble]

fitchett
10-31-2009, 09:55 AM
The PhidgetServo controllers put out a RC Servo PWM signal, same as the Sabertooth takes in. You would hook up the white/yellow wire from two channels to S1/S2, and the black/brown wire from these channels to the 0V input. Then it's a matter of configuring the Sabertooth.

Don't hook up the red (+5V) wire, the PhidgetServos/AdvancedServos are meant to power the RC device being controlled, not be powered by it, as the Sabertooth would try to do.

Chester