PDA

View Full Version : Robots and reading night at son's school

forbes_k
12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I am probably the geekiest PTO President that every lived; but I wanted to have a Robots and Reading night at our school. What I was thinking was a few very simple animatronics to illustrate some popular children's books. For example, an animatronic sorting hat for "Harry Potter and the Socerer's stone" or an animatronic bat to interact with the human storyteller for "Bats at the beach." Our Reading night is January 20th. Any ideas for how to plan this event?

Thanks!

Kim

darkback2
12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
As one of the teachers on the site I applaud your enthusiasm.

Ok...So one idea would be to make simple moving dioramas for each of the stories...or better yet have the kids make them after reading the stories. I'm looking for a materials and structures online because I've done a similar activity in the past, but I'm not having much in the way of luck finding anything. I'll try to put together a list and directions later today.

DB

darkback2
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
So...one idea would be to have the kids make "automata"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rec-LGOUT-real_rn-HM

You can make them out of paper, wooden dowels, and other odds and ends. You could also use electric motors instead of a hand crank, though that might get a bit more involved.

Hope this helps.

DB

forbes_k
12-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I was also thinking an automatronic hand; there are tons of instructions on the web. I just read in the paper, some guy in Italy used only his thoughts to move a robot hand that was connected to his forearm with electrodes. I was thinking, I could make the arm, put up a display board with the recent clippings, put some "electrodes" on the pulleys in the arm, and then mark up a white glove to look like "nerons" firing.