PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Scoring System Prototyping

lnxfergy
12-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up as to where we are on the scoring system. I've been extensively testing a prototype panel and related code, we should have details on purchasing your 2010 setup just after New Years.

There are a few changes that I wanted everyone to be aware of as they design their bots. As has been alluded to, the new panels use FSRs, rather than the piezo sensors -- so you won't have to worry about your bot being rough while walking. Because of the size constraints of what was available for FSRs, the panels are slightly larger than 3"x3", the outline is basically 3-3/8"x3-3/8" with an active area of 3x3", I'd leave at least 3.5"x3.5" of space, since the FSR cables make stick out a bit.

Below are a few pics of the prototype panels as setup right now. The scoring transponder board is the same as last year's (we are changing the crystal osc. freq. though). The final version of the panels will actually have a custom PCB on the back to which the smaller panels and connector cable will be attached. For mounting, there will be holes in the four corners of the PCB on the back, or you can slap velcro strips across the top and bottom edge of the panel itself. (pay no attention to the fact that I cut the acrylic sheet too small on this prototype, the acrylic will go out to the very edge of the FSRs on final models).

-Fergs

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/img_0901.jpg
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/6/8/img_0905.jpg

Sopzman
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Are those panels dented from the airsoft hits?

lnxfergy
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
In the image of the range, yes, the panels do get dented slightly from the BBs. (the fiducial papers get banged up worse).

However, I've now put >4000 rounds into that panel, most of them at very close range (to maximize impact), without failure of the panel. These FSR's really do take a heck of a beating without changing resistance in the least.

EDIT: I forgot to add the front cover, as originally suggested by Andrew (this is what happens when it takes you 2 months to get back to using parts). I've added an 0.040" piece of lexan over the FSRs, sensitivity is not reduced at all, and now the FSR's don't get beat up at all.

-Fergs

rebel
12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
lnxfergy,

The board that we have to put in our mechs, is it the same size as the SSC-32?
And the voltage needed was 3.3?
I thought I saw something before but seem to miss it now.

:p

lnxfergy
12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
lnxfergy,

The board that we have to put in our mechs, is it the same size as the SSC-32?
And the voltage needed was 3.3?
I thought I saw something before but seem to miss it now.

:p

No, and no. The board is 2.4"x2.4", not sure how that compares with the SSC-32. VIN should be between 6 and 16V.

Here's the 2009 thread, for reference: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3300

-Fergs

darrellt
12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Looks good, can't wait to try it out. Just to be clear, will the transponder board mount on the back of one of the panels, or will it require its own mounting location?

DresnerRobotics
12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Looks good, can't wait to try it out. Just to be clear, will the transponder board mount on the back of one of the panels, or will it require its own mounting location?

You might be able to mount it on the back, it's small enough... personally I have my transponder board mounted on the back of my robot (bottom of the board facing out), and then the target plate is mounted on top of that.

sthmck
12-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Is that one fsr, or four on the score plate?

Adrenalynn
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
four on the score and seven years ago.

My first car was three on a tree, but my second car had four on the floor...