PDA

View Full Version : Target Plate Question

webgeek
01-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi all; I know Andrew is working on the 2010 target plate code and electronics and such but I have a couple of questions about it that someone might know or it might be answered in another thread somewhere. I know the target plate/controller system has the ability to notify the mech when it has incoming damage but I'd like to know more specifics:

1) Does the notification include what target plate is getting hit? I'd love that information if possible and...
2) Does the notification differentiate between all hits and hits that counted against health? I'd love that too, if possible.

Basically, I've coded into the control software of my mech a UI indicator as to which direction incoming fire is originating. I think it's a nice feature (looks cool too and I added voice overs for it to boot!) and it'd be great if the targeting system provided this information. As for wanting to know all hits vs. health hits, I wanted to know that so I can be accurate with my health meter vs. just showing fire origin. Thanks!

Mike

P.S. I know it's likely possible to modify the target system to provide this information once I get them in hand but that seems a bad idea as modifying the provided system seems like cheating to me.

lnxfergy
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
The target plate has a 5V I/O line that sends out a pulse each time it registers an actual hit that is transmitted to the scoring computer. In the default setting the pulse is just a 200ms long pulse. There is a jumper however, that will cause the system to put out varied pulses (50ms*Target Plate #). Thus, you can tell direction by measuring the length of the pulse. 50ms is a pretty big difference, so even the slowest embedded processors should be able to differentiate which plate was hit.

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
We'll also have more information on the availability of the target/scoring system shortly. The boards are ready, the issue is that the sensors we're using for the target plates are back ordered for another month or so. Once we get those in stock, I'll be pulling out a 100+ sensors to build target plates and accepting orders to get them out the door.

Basically, the system is ready to go, we are just waiting on the FSR sensors to get back in stock before rolling it out to competitors.

webgeek
01-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the update, that sounds perfect :)