PDA

View Full Version : MTR: A planetary terrestrial exploration rover system

Antonb
01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi there,

I am new around here - I would like to share this with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMmJtw0XYzk

Its my PhD, worked on it 5 yrs alone and I want to make a scale model and release it on the net:

Starting with the linear actuators I have posted this today on the Tutorials/DIY section:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tutorials/how-to-diy-128/hack-your-servo-v100-turn-your-servo-into-a-powerful-linear-actuator-3293/

I look forward for your comments!:veryhappy:

webgeek
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Wow, that's very cool! Nice work!

Mike

Psykoman
01-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Very cool robot. Can you post some pics of the robot?

Sven

WGhost9
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Very nice work; is it remotely controlled or sensor driven? If sensor driven, could you tell us a little about the sensors? I am very curious about how it handles rough terrain surfaces.

Adrenalynn
01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Gorgeous machining work and outstanding design! Kudos! And thank you for publishing your work to the community.

Very nice work; is it remotely controlled or sensor driven?

rebel
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
That is an awsome vehicle!!

Antonb
01-19-2010, 05:23 AM
hi everybody!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

a few notes:

In terms of the autonomy: the MTR is tele-operated but also uses a number of assistive behaviours. By utilising the output of an on-board, 3-axis accelerometer, and the operational mode which is selected by the operator (ie maintain pitch, maintain roll, minimise ground clearance etc). It also uses 16 Sharp rangefinders to assist in obstacle avoidance during tele-operation. Standard sensors like quadrature encoders, absolute position reference potentiometers and limit switches are found across all 14 DOF of the system.
The video was made sometime back in 2005. It does not show body rotation (yes it is supported:veryhappy:, full 360 degrees continuous using a custom-made electrical rotary union)
The umbilical serves as a power / comms link for indoor testing. The rover now carries a total of 220Wh of lithium polymer batteries.