PDA

View Full Version : New scoring method

praelian
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Not sure if anyone has ever looked at the rcnaval combat (http://rcnavalcombat.com/)stuff, but we essentially do the same thing, they use naval boats instead of robots. The interesting point is their goal is to shoot through the balsa hull and thus sink the ship. Winner destroys hull, loser sinks, simple enough!

I thought this would be an interesting concept for the mech warfare. Construct balsa skins for the bots giving them an esthetic appeal while at the same time providing a mechanism for scoring. Airsoft weapons would damage the mech's hull, allowing for judges to determine the winners. Balsa hulls would be light-weight and form-factor allowing for unique and interesting designs.

While I havenít physically handled the scoring plates, I would imagine that a balsa hull would permit for unique scoring (leg/torso shots, etc).

Thoughts?

lnxfergy
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I think the big difference is: we are roboticists, not model builders. Personally, even being a furniture maker, metalworker, and robot builder, I'm uninterested in repeatedly rebuilding a balsa shell for my bot.

The current non-destructive methods attract a certain mindset, if you really want to blow stuff up there is always the combat robot guys.

-Fergs

DresnerRobotics
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm all for things like battle-damage in the future, but realistically pulling it off to the point where it doesn't become a massive chore to the competitors is an entirely different thing. I have no qualms about someone going nuts and making a battle-damage capable armor setup on their mech, but I can't see it ever being an integral and/or required part of the game.

There is enough that can go wrong with these robots as is, the addition of 'armor maintenance' would just make it that much more of a hassle. Great idea, but feasible execution simply isn't there yet.