PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] cheap Video Cam for capturing to pc.

Meccano Jay
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I finally have a kewl lil still pic cam from Kodak. Still figuring out all the settings but its working well.
Now I need a way to catch some video of my creations to share with you guys as well. All im really looking for is a pc cam, I suppose a usb web cam? Any recommendations here im really cam illiterate, not to mention under budget restraint.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

kamondelious
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Meccano Jay!

Have a look on dealextreme.com. I got the USB cams for Snoopy there @ about $6 each. They aren't super amazing, but they will do 30fps @ 640x480 with decent enough quality and don't need fancy drivers. There are a lot of cheap options out there, really depends how tight your budget is and how high of quality you want.

Cheers!

mannyr7
02-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Gamestop has tons of PS2 Eyecams which I know will work with Windows and Linux. $2.00 a piece

billyzelsnack
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
The PS2 eye toy was great in its day, but it's USB 1.1 and the JPG artifacts are terrible. Though for $3 it's quite the deal especially considering how small the innards are.

I second that you should have a look at dealextreme. I have this camera..
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14991

and it's quite good once you install the drivers in Windows. Under Linux its a bit sluggish. I may try to fix the Linux driver though since the camera physical size and its output is pretty much perfect for what I want to do.

This camera..
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25948
is probably the same, but I've not verified.

Meccano Jay
02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
kamondelious ... kewl site, n a new one on me. Tyty

mannyr7 ... hmmm that does spark some thought for other projects, thank you. cheap and small ehehe :)

billyzelsnack ... nice cam thanks for the links.

I stumbled across this and it also sparked some interest for 10 ish bux ... here
seems similar in features to the cam suggested by billyzelsnack, just in a bit different package, o and it has adjustable brightness led lights.

Meccano Jay
02-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Was actually thinking about using the cam i linked to as the start for a new head for a robosapien V2. That's why the lights are attractive to me. But that's a future project. might just 2 birds with 1 stone it and get the cam now use it till its donated to roboblue then make him video everything, lol.
there is a short video of the cameras quality, it was user submitted to amazon. You have to scroll way down to the bottom to find it though.