PDA

View Full Version : Tools at the 'Games

webgeek
02-11-2010, 07:25 PM
My wife, in her typically practical and thoughtful way, took a look at the huge pile of stuff I've been using to make my mech and asked "how are you planning on getting all of that to the competition if something goes wrong?" Well, that's a dang good question.

So, if I naively assume nothing will break, needs adjustment, etc. I'll be bringing the mech, at least two sets of batteries, battery charger, laptop, USB gamepad, USB explorer w/XBee, a few thousand rounds of ammo, and sundry cables. This is a pretty substantial pile to add to my clothing and other travel necessities - particularly considering the cost of luggage these days. Once you start taking into account things that are likely to go wrong, you end up adding spare parts (servos, controllers, electronics), tool sets, soldering iron, wire, solder, etc. This becomes a huge pile of stuff to bring.

While I recognize that each of us will need to bring whatever spare parts make sense for our mech, I was wondering if people would be interested in pooling resources on the tools and such. The idea being that rather than all of us bringing a small workshop each, maybe we could come up with a "to bring" list for those of us attending and share tools as needed. Kind of like a pot-luck dinner approach.

This whole idea might be moot but the worrier in me felt it was at least worthwhile bringing it up to see what everyone else has to say. Thanks!

Mike

gdubb2
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey MIke,

Don't lose any sleep over it.

There are always enough local folks and those of us that drive to the event, that tools usually aren't much an issue. I'll have a pretty good selection with me, and I drive down from Idaho.

See ya there
Gary

mannyr7
02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I'll be driving up from Phoenix and will be packing electrical repair supplies, multimeter, handtools and backup servos, etc, etc.... No problem lending a hand to any TRC members. :wink:

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Honestly I'm pretty sure we couldve built 2 entire mechs with all the spare parts we showed up with. I'd bring what's absolutely needed, but tools aren't in short supply there. The combat guys had a damn near full machine shop setup... Lol

webgeek
02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. Knowing I won't need to pack my soldering station, multi-meter, and various other items helps a bit. Now I just need to figure out how to get the mech and the like on the plane. I'm sure security will love that :)

-Mike

DresnerRobotics
02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses. Knowing I won't need to pack my soldering station, multi-meter, and various other items helps a bit. Now I just need to figure out how to get the mech and the like on the plane. I'm sure security will love that :)

-Mike

I've traveled with Giger a bit and bring him as a carry-on. I have about a 50% success rate of going through unmolested. Sometimes I just get funny looks, other times I'm pulled aside and have to wait around for 15-20 minutes while they swab Giger, his case, and my clothing/hands for bomb residue. Just do NOT turn it on if they ask, tell em the batteries are dead. You'll very likely have to separate your airsoft guns and check them as well.

"Is that a Robot??!?!"

"No sir, it's an iPod."

"Right. Going to need you to step over into our little room and start undressing...."

billyzelsnack
02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
How did you pack the batteries? That's what worries me the most.

DresnerRobotics
02-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I left my batteries in Giger's feet, spares I would probably just bubble wrap and pack into my carry-on.

(edited for correct information, do not check your spare LiPos :p )

JonHylands
02-12-2010, 07:34 AM
There are specific rules in the airlines about LiPo batteries. You should check... The specifically don't want them in checked baggage.

- Jon

webgeek
02-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Just do NOT turn it on if they ask, tell em the batteries are dead. Why is that? I assume it's related to this:

There are specific rules in the airlines about LiPo batteries. You should check... I didn't know they had rules on this. Here is the appropriate document. Looks like I'm shipping my spare batteries along with my rockets.
http://safetravel.dot.gov/documents/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

-Mike

billyzelsnack
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Is this correct?

To get the watt hours of the larger size 100*(25/8)=312.5wh

That's a HUGE pack! You could almost run a full size car on two of those. haha.

A 2200mah 11.1v 3s pack is 2.2ah*11.1v = 24.42wh

webgeek
02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
That's a HUGE pack! You could almost run a full size car on two of those My DIY electric scooter thing has a 48v 110AH battery pack on it - sadly, motors take a lot of juice. Though it will run for a danged long time on that much power.

[no more than 8 grams of equivalent
lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery] I don't suppose anyone knows the lithium content of various RC batteries?

-Mike

DresnerRobotics
02-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Why is that? I assume it's related to this:
I didn't know they had rules on this. Here is the appropriate document. Looks like I'm shipping my spare batteries along with my rockets.
http://safetravel.dot.gov/documents/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

-Mike

Nice catch Jon, didn't actually know that (though I've never brought spares).

You mostly don't want to turn it on because if you spook the security guards they might make you check it.

gdubb2
02-12-2010, 12:18 PM
From what I've heard from my friends on the combat side of things, it's best to have the batteries disconnected and the connectors taped off. Perhaps even separated from the bot.

Gary